SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Sage Expert

SageTV 7 playback of Blu-Ray on PC questions.

1.) Does SageTV 7 only playback from a ripped folder structure?
Can it also playback ISO files (without having to mount said ISO)?

2.) I got it to playback mounted ISO files but so far only one (Twilight: New Moon), Star Trek (2009) does not work for some reason (but it is only a beta).

3.) What decoder is required? I was actually surprised that I got Twilight to playback as I have not installed ArcSoft or PowerDVD (yet), just SageTV and CoreAVC.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Sage User

Were you able to play back from the folder? I can see my ripped blurays(all in folders) but when I try to play them the program crashes. I haven't had much time to play with it, did you find a spot to pick the bluray decoder to use? I figure maybe it just doesn't like the default one my systems using. I wonder if it's using the same one as the DVD.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
1.) Does SageTV 7 only playback from a ripped folder structure?
Can it also playback ISO files (without having to mount said ISO)?

3.) What decoder is required?
Same questions?

I feel stupid for asking this, but where do we stand on being able to stick a Blu-ray disk in a Client PC Blu-ray/DVD drive and play like any other DVD?

I'm running Total Media Theater3 externally (have to exit Sage) to play Blu-ray disks now.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been able to view a Blu-Ray movie in SageTV7 if it was ripped to a folder format not an ISO. The movie was UP. I didn't watch the entire movie only long enough that it opened and started to play.

Also I can't playback a Blu-Ray if it's in the DVD/BR drive. It doesn't recognize a disc is in the drive.

I have a bug report into Sage about not "seeing" ISO files in SageTV7.

I am hoping once ability to actually "see" the ISO file the rest will work itself out. (i.e. the auto mounting of the said ISO file and then play back in SageTV without external player of Blu-Ray movies.)

Keep in mind for the auto mounting of ISO files it will require Virtual Clone Drive (free) to work. If they support another ISO mounting software, you will need to ask Sage.

Last edited by UgaData; 05-22-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Sage Expert

I haven't tried from folder yet, like I said, one of my ISO's works, and one does not. . .
Sounds like folks have bugs out about all this stuff. . .

And yeah its a little weird that I can mount an ISO but can't just put a disc into a drive and hit play.. . there should be a sub menu off "Play DVD" that lets you pick a drive. . .

And yes, I would love to know what codecs I should be using. . . other threads haven't really given me a clear answer. . .
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I believe any H.264 codec will work for BR playback. Isn't CoreAVC an H.264 codec? CoreAVC may not support hardware acceleration with all video cards. I know CoreAVC can enable HA with Nvidia cards that support 'Cuda. Not sure how well it works with ATI and Intel graphics.

I use the Arcsoft codecs that came with the HD-PVR (TME2).
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I believe any H.264 codec will work for BR playback. Isn't CoreAVC an H.264 codec? CoreAVC may not support hardware acceleration with all video cards. I know CoreAVC can enable HA with Nvidia cards that support 'Cuda. Not sure how well it works with ATI and Intel graphics.

I use the Arcsoft codecs that came with the HD-PVR (TME2).
BlueRay discs can be encoded in H.264 or VC-1. CoreAVC only covers H.264 so it may not work with all BluRays. If you install Windows Media Player 7 (even on XP) it comes with a VC-1 decoder that can be used as a DirectShow filter.

Thomas
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

So far I only tried an ISO and got the spinning circle. Keep in mind that some blu ray discs are in encoded in MPG2 so they might work without additional decoders.

For Sage to see ISOs you need to add .ISO to this line in properties:
seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=

Client 1: HD300; Panasonic TC-P65S64;
Client 2: HD300; Samsung 46" LCD;
Client 3: HD300; 60" LCD;
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

I spoke to soon for the Blu-Ray playback.

I tried to watch a BD ripped2folder movie. I have ripped 2 different movies this way. Yes, if I select either one of them they will play something. In one case the French language version was played, the other played the commentary version. I was unable to bring up the main DVD/BR menu to make any settings changes i.e. Play,Features,Audio Settings(language),Commentary (On/Off), etc.

----------
Quote:
For Sage to see ISOs you need to add .ISO to this line in properties:
seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=
After reading this post I checked the properties file and .iso is listed.

I was expecting the ISO files to show up in the Video Library with the DVD/BD section.

I can see ISO files if I browse the file system. I can't play the ISO files from Sage, all I get is a spinning circle of death.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah I can't get ISO's to work either, but I'm not sure if I should file a bug or not. . .
If I mount them using dameon tools or something, they do work (but that is a bit of a pain).

Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah I can't get ISO's to work either, but I'm not sure if I should file a bug or not. . .
If I mount them using dameon tools or something, they do work (but that is a bit of a pain).
You mention daemon tools, Do you also have VCD (VirtualCloneDrive)?

I suspect for ISO files to work properly it will require VirtualCloneDrive specifically.

FWIW - I have a bug report in about ISO files not showing up in Sage's vidoe library.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Sage

The problem with ISO mounting is due to using the SageTV Service. We've resolved the issue for the next build already.

If you don't use the service; or if you run the service as the user that installed VirtualCloneDrive; then it should work with the current version as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

When I select a bluray ISO I get the spinning circle and have to kill the sage.exe process, after that I noticed in the task manager that the ISO file is with being processed by the transcoder.exe and had to kill that as well - is there something wrong with my settings? The ISO file never gets mounted.

This is using beta 7.0.10 in service mode

Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
The problem with ISO mounting is due to using the SageTV Service. We've resolved the issue for the next build already.

If you don't use the service; or if you run the service as the user that installed VirtualCloneDrive; then it should work with the current version as well.
I'm running Sage Beta 7.0.11 and I have Virtual Clone Drive installed. I specifically turned off service mode after reading this post to try and get my BD ISO files to appear in the system but still no dice.

I'm really excited to see this kind of support in Sage as its been one of my biggeset grief's in recent history. It appears to be working well for standard DVD but not the BD titles.

Are there any other known work arounds or settings that I can try to get this going or do I have to wait for a newer build?

On a side note, if I try to browse the file system through Sage, it gives me the spinning circle on my BD ISO folder for several minutes. It then lists all my BD ISO's but then sits there with the spinning circle again. After several more minutes I can select an ISO and it tries to load. More spinning circles. At this point after another 5-10 minutes I eventually give up, CTRL+ALT+DEL and End-Task on Sage. I have a dedicated hard drive for my BD ISO's, only about 200GB and I currently have about 5 or 6 titles ripped on it.

-Striker-
Old 07-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think I found the problem of ISO files not playing on my setup. It turns out that the BR ISOs have to be rescanned by Sage and recognized as BR. Any ISO that was scanned before the beta locks up when played.

Now that I can play ISOs I noticed that I cant get the English track to play, no matter which track I select it ends up being Spanish, French or Directors comments depending on the movie.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromuman View Post
Now that I can play ISOs I noticed that I cant get the English track to play, no matter which track I select it ends up being Spanish, French or Directors comments depending on the movie.
That sounds like a problem decoding DTS audio tracks (the 'standard' track on most blu-ray discs). The extra tracks (foreign language, commentary, etc). are usually AC3. that would eb the difference. Not sure why, on a PC client, it's not offering the DTS tracks though.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That sounds like a problem decoding DTS audio tracks (the 'standard' track on most blu-ray discs). The extra tracks (foreign language, commentary, etc). are usually AC3. that would eb the difference. Not sure why, on a PC client, it's not offering the DTS tracks though.
In options I can see the list of all the tracks and when I select the Master Audio track the audio does not change to the MA but it does change to any of the AC3 tracks. Which codec should be able to handle the down mix of the DTS 7.1 master audio? Also I wonder where in settings is the codec picked for BR playback, the DVD playback?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure about where it's chosen... You'd probably be best off getting everything set right by merit, and choosing Default in sage. I'd recommend a recent ffdshow audio decoder, which should handle pretty much anything (DTSMA, TrueHD, etc)

In fact, ffdshow is probably the best bet for pretty much ANY source file.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Sage Expert

Btw I just wanted to note that CoreAVC supports both H.264 and VC-1, and i'm really happy with that decoder, too me it does the best job.

I am currently eagerly awaiting the next build so I can see all the bug updates.

I completely agree with you that its a shame that you can't just but in a blu-ray disc and hit play. ripping 1st is kinda a pain. . .

I noticed that AnyDVD has some sort of technology called "magic file replacement". . . can we use that as a means to just playback a disc without ripping?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
I completely agree with you that its a shame that you can't just but in a blu-ray disc and hit play. ripping 1st is kinda a pain. . .
If you are using AnyDVDHD then you can add your Blu-ray drive as an import folder and do exactly that, as long as you don't swap back and forth between BR and DVD (that requires letting it rescan for new media).

This method also allows you to put a disc in the BR drive on your server and watch it directly from disc on an HD200.