SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Newbie questions please help.

I am coming over from Windows media center and have some questions.

1) Will it compress my files and if so to what format?

2) Will it support Windows 7 64 bit?

3) Can I use my media center IR blaster and remote?

4) Can it use Skins?

5) Can it work with HD tuner if so is the best one it will be for Comcast.

6) I am thinking about switching to Dishnetwork are their any known issues with that servers and BeyondTv?

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

1) it can if you would like it to... very customizable...
2) it worked fine on my XP 64bit so I would guess so... others may know better...
3) I would think so...
4) don't know, but I would bet it does... otherwise there would be far less people here...
5) not sure I understand... whats BTV have to do with anything? you going to run Sage & BTV?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Sage Icon

I suspect you are not getting much response because everyone is too busy playing with the newly-released v7 beta...

Did you download the current v6.x or did you download v7 beta?

1) Sage can compress files into a variety of formats, but you have to do it manually. v7 apparently has automatic conversion as an option. As for what type of file Sage records everything as, that depends on what your source is.

2) Again, depends on the version you have. v6.x was not "officially" supported but apparently worked on Win7 with some bugs (though they may have been worked out) and I don't think the 64-bit matters, afaik it's a 32-bit application. The new v7 beta is officially Win7 compatible.

3) Sorry, I don't know - someone else will chime in.

4) Yes and no. And again, depends which version. In the manner that you probably are thinking of a "skin", no (for v6.x). The GUI is called an STV, and it isn't just the "look", it also contains the functionality. There are user plug-ins that completely change this - the main one used is called "SageMC". There are also some that just generally change the background and the text colors of the default STV, but don't change the function at all. There is also a plug-in which allows you to rearrange all the items on the menus, create new menus, submenus, etc. ("dynamic customizable menus" plug-in). It doesn't change the look much, just more of the functionality. However, once again, v7 beta claims to now allow "skins" - some are already being created in the v7 customizations forum. It also has limited compatibility with XBMC skins (see the beta release highlights for details).

5) and 6) If you are using HD cable or satellite, you will need the Hauppage HD-PVR. It's a USB tuner device which takes the component out from your cable/sat box and also has a blaster to change the STB channel automatically. It's for sale in the Sage store.

I'm assuming you meant SageTV and not BTV in your #6? Otherwise, why would you care about BTV here?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielziko View Post
5) Can it work with HD tuner if so is the best one it will be for Comcast.
It really depends on what stations you watch and how much you record from them. I have Comcast and use 2 HDHomeRuns for a total of 4 digital tuners. For the most part I only get my local networks such as NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, CW and a few others in the clear and in HD. Luckily most of what I watch is from those stations so the HDHomeRuns take care of over 90% of what I watch.

For everything else I'm currently using an old PVR-500, but plan on upgrading to a HD-PVR eventually. The way other channels re-air the shows I figure for me 1 of them will easily be able to capture what the HDHomeRuns can't get in HD.