SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

RC1 Experiences

Here is what I've seen so far...

I had NO skipping at all in .15. .16 has introduced some skipping in watching live tv. I've turned off both "presentationlevel = 0" wasn't sure if it was using both or just the new one.

This helped with skipping a little... but it still skips. The upside to this.. is I'm NOT seeing any tearing at all even with the presentation level = 0. I have a feeling it might be on somewhere still causing the hiccups. Still trying to figure that out!

But the skipping is annoying... my wife even mentioned it so I know its frequent enough for her to say something. CPU load is running about 21-25%, with VRM9, and doesn't seem to spike at skipping.

And I like the way the option button would turn on and off the video background when at a menu, instead of the config screen like it does in .16.

Right now... .15 was working better on my machine than .16... I'm going to hang with .16 for now... but might end up going back if I can't figure something out! I know its funny how somethings work on some machines and some don't... but .15 in my situation was almost perfect!

--Mike
Old 04-19-2004, 09:46 AM

I get video skipping too now. In fact, I get it in Overlay mode as well. I think it is something that was introduced in .16. Submit a bug.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have noticed this too.. Looks like sageTV is doing some background cpu processing once in a while that can cause the video to hiccup. I see this on my AMD athlon 2100+ using the sonic decoders. I also notice a similar but not-as-frequent problem when using SageTVClient and PVR350 output. It doesn't exactly hiccup.. it freezes for a few seconds, and then keeps going again. I've submitted a bug.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've also noticed a slight skip or hiccup when watching Live TV. Recorded shows haven't done it. I'm using a PVR350 out with software decode disabled.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I too get a slight hiccup at the beginning of Live TV and sometimes throughout watching a show with 350 output. Not enough to be annoying, but enough to know that it is doing something it wasn't before.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah the skipping is most annoying with VMR9, I think I remember it doing this in other versions but not as bad
With overlay the skipping was just mad crazy also
whenever I brought up the display over video or any menu browsing with video background it got worse also
I finally resolved to turning off 3d acceleration with overlay and the skipping has stopped
But I am sure that as soon as I posted this, the skips will come back but I could be wrong
I did a fresh install of this beta the other night, after having bad playback issues with .015 and installing .016 on top hoping to get rid of the problem
but no difference
I think there is some problem with 3d acceleration being enabled because you have to use with VMR9 and when using it with overlay it caused problems
Old 04-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Sage Expert

.16 is unwatchable on my client. I don't know about the server because .16 didn't last long enough on my computers to test it. I tried watching a hockey game right after upgrading. It kept locking up for 10 or 15 seconds. I downgraded the client to .15 first and still had the freeze ups. I then downgraded the server and the freeze ups went away.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone running 2 NIC's? I cannot run RC1 with 2 NIC's at all! I get the ASYNC error...

And yes, mucho random skips and freezes..

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

I run a nic and a wireless card (not sure if this qualifies as a traditional nic). I get stutters once in a while with rc1.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Sage

I've taken care of the video pauses that were occurring. If you want to be sure that's the bug I fixed for your situation, they'll happen shortly after a recording change occurs, and then every 5 minutes after that.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

My GOD, how slow this is on my main machine! I get a black screen for 3 minutes when first starting it, and it just freezes on trying to use the menus for anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes! I tried also doing a clean install, and still get the same results.
When I go from windowed to full screen, I also get a black screen on the full screen for a few minutes as well.
Other than that, it works ok, with sometimes the sound cutting out after fast forwarding, and sporadic freeezing of the picture. Still not as stable as I'd like to see a release to be...
Old 04-19-2004, 04:53 PM

I have two HTPC's each with different configurations. Once works perfect one has some stuttering. The one with the stuttering sounds like the bug Narflex fixed.

Those that are having issues other than this please submit a bug request with your hardware (video setup mainly probably) configurations. Or post them here. I would hope there is a commonality to be found.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
I've taken care of the video pauses that were occurring. If you want to be sure that's the bug I fixed for your situation, they'll happen shortly after a recording change occurs, and then every 5 minutes after that.

Thanks.
I guess I won't be submitting that one. ;^)

Nothing's more relieving than knowing everyine else has the same problem.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yup...

Mine was exactly every 5 minutes. So I guess that means Im good when the next release becomes available!!! Thanks for the quick work Frey!!

--Mike
Old 04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

yup mine is every 5 min or so. I'm going to roll back to .15 as the skipping really annoying!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think the problem is you're all using computers that are way too fast. I've got a PII 450 and it works like a charm baby (most of the time!!!). I am impressed with the quality of the picture ever since I switched to using s-video cables.

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Sage User

I'm having the same problem with skipping going from .15 to .16, except it is much more frequent than the 5 minute interval others mention. I notice my cpu load is pretty much maxed out when sage is running, even sleeping and not recording anything. The wierd part is task manager only reports the cpu load of sage as ~5% and system idle process of about ~85% or greater. The cpu load still reads 100% though. Gonna have to mess with it tonight.

System:
WinXP SP1
AMD Athlon 1400 (266FSB)
FIC AD11
512MB DDR
PVR-250 retail (analog catv on coax)
ATI Radeon 7500 (OEM, Dell) -> 35" SDTV via S-video
SB Live Value -> Denon reciever via analog
Elecard and Hauppage decoders

EDIT: Solved it. Somehow my HD was running in PIO not DMA. Re-installed the IDE device and all is good.

Last edited by mrgibbysworth; 04-21-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Sage User

Unhappy

Just load rc1. copied the bin and the properties files as always prior to upgrading from .15. I installed RC1 over the old installation as always. When I did I lost all of my setting. The files I had recorded were missing (there were there, just couldnt see them.) The programs I set set to record were missing, the TV schedules was missing. Waited a few to see if it would populate things, it didn't. So I reloaded .15 and everything is fine. Help!

Rich
Old 04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

richgnoe, backup your entire frey dir. Then remove sage.properties and sage.propertiesbackup. Install the new ver. It should have everything there. This happened to me 1 or 2 times as well. Not to mention the java error that made me get rid of sage.properties once or twice. But hey its a beta....
Old 04-20-2004, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm having the same problem with skipping going from .15 to .16, except it is much more frequent than the 5 minute interval others mention.

I too am having this issue, I have turned off 3D acceleration, and evrything is fine now
But the times that I noticed the most skipping whther with overlay and 3D acceleration or VMR9, was with shows that are recorded live like the screensavers
I did not have more than a second or two between skipps, people could be standing almost perfectly still, and while they talked the video stuttered but audio was fine
just wanted to report this as well
not sure if this should be bugged though, anyone else seeing similiar experiences with live recording television shows?