SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Sage User

Converting mpeg-2 to m4v using OSX

Hello,

I am having a problem converting mpeg-2 files to m4v for viewing on an iPod touch. My Sage server has hauppauge hvr-950 tuners and all of the OTA programming is recorded into mpeg-2 files. I wanted to take some shows and convert them to m4v format so I could view them on my iPod touch.

There is a free software application called Handbrake that can do this, but what I am finding is that although it makes the conversion, iTunes won't allow me to take that m4v and put it on my iPod. iTunes will however allow me to read in the file and view it using quicktime, so the conversion process works, it just won't sync over to the iPod. I have been able to take a DVD movie and use Handbrake to convert it to m4v format and I am able to view that on my iPod, so I think the issue is the mpeg-2 source.

If I take the m4v file that I just converted from mpeg-2 and read it into iMovie, then have iMovie generate a new m4v file, it will then work on my iPod. iMovie can't read mpeg-2 files in directly, so I am still stuck with a two pass solution at this point. What I am looking for is a tool that will allow me to take the mpeg-2 file directly from my sage server and convert it into an m4v file in one step, so I can add it into iTunes and sync it up with my iPod.

Of course I would like to do all of this on my MAC, so I am throwing it out there for anyone who may have already gone down this road and might have some suggestions for me.

Thank you,

--Paul
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried the conversion that's built into Sage - there is an iPhone profile that creates mp4 files that work on the iPhone. I have used this to convert SD MPEG-2 files to mp4 files that I have been able to transfer to an iPad Touch and an iPad. I don't know that I have done this with HD MPEG-2 files from OTA but it should work.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Sage User

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage User

In Handbrake, be sure you are using the correct 'Profile' for your device. iTunes is pretty picky about what format the video is in. Handbrake has profiles built in for the various Apple devices. Once you select a profile, don't modify any parameters.