SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Sage Expert

Well via Sage, or via an IPod, or my Droid, I already have Yahoo Music, Rhapsody, my entire collection, pandora and last.fm, etc.

and I'm not saying that there are not apps that are not cool or that there isn't anything that could be nice etc.

all i'm saying is that the usefulness factor is much bigger on a small device. . . b/c the TV at your house is really relegated to media and games, where as a notebook, tablet or smart phone can be carried around. . . much more apps for that kind of thing.

and with my setup now, I can already pop open a browser and search the net on my tv if i wish. . but i usually don't.

and yes google chrome pretty much tracks everything you surf to. . . there are lots of things that you can opt out of (saved search history, etc). Most of it is in the name of "safety". In other words trying to stop you from going to sites known for phishing, etc.

If you are a developer and run fiddler. . you can even see this happen in mozilla (safebrowsing.google.com). Yes I know its "anonymous" but there is an IP address, so its not really "anonymous". I know I sound a bit paranoid. . .

but a company built on selling ads makes me a bit nervous when they want to "help" control and use all my media. They already read all your g-mail, whether or not you use their UI.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have one arriving tomorrow just for fun, but based on the initial feedback it's not going to stay. I was hoping to chain it to a Sage 300 and get all the benefits of both (including Hulu with the hack!) but the remote apparently doesn't work well like that.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
I have one arriving tomorrow just for fun, but based on the initial feedback it's not going to stay. I was hoping to chain it to a Sage 300 and get all the benefits of both (including Hulu with the hack!) but the remote apparently doesn't work well like that.
Any chance you could give feedback on how Android apps run on it, like say taSageTV?
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sure, I can try I really wanted to be able to use this for Hulu, Netflix, etc; and then Sage for Live TV and movie playback.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Which Google TV device are you getting? I've currently got the Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV Blu-ray player in-line with an HD300. There is more testing that I need to do but even in it's current state it works very well, although there are a few caveats.
  • Sony doesn't know about the HD300. So you need to configure it to use a remote code for your provider that the HD300 responds to. During configuration where you can select different remote codes, press the channel +/- on the controller and select a remote code that shows activity on the HD300's leds.
  • Go into Sage detailed setup and have it learn the IR commands from the GTV controller. I wasn't able to have it learn all of the buttons on the controller so I need to experiment a bit more. Either by experimenting with a different remote code(s) or by making sure that the GTV device is in "live TV mode" to insure that it is blasting out the IR commands to the HD300 like I want it to for learning.
  • Currently, everything on the HDMI-in port is down-mixed to 2-channel PCM for mixing with the GTV sounds. Larry Yang, product manager for Google TV has confirmed that Sony is working on a software fix to support surround sound on the HDMI-in. GTV sounds & Blu-ray playback is output in surround.
  • Obviously, given the last item bitstreaming won't work from the HD300->GTV->AVR. It's been suggested that they implement a "pass-through" option for the HDMI-in but I'm not sure how likely that is.
  • Tuning a channel from GTV search results works, but it brings up the Sage search dialog as well in my experience. This could likely be remedied by delinking whatever ir command is responsible from the Search command in Sage detailed setup and/or experimenting with other ir codes in the GTV configuration.

If you'll be using the Logitech Revue then you probably won't have the same control issues as the Sony device because the Harmony database of components that it utilizes will be aware of the HD300. Also, the Revue has an ir receiver (unlike the Sony) so you'll be able to use your current remote in addition to the GTV controller/keyboard.

The difficulty in getting GTV set up will range from dead simple to PIA depending on the user's current configuration and what GTV device they are using. Because of this, the likely hood of success for the platform will be dependent on the rate that it is integrated in devices such as TV's, Blu-ray players, Receviers, set-top boxes, etc. Google would do well to open-source the platform sooner rather than later.

My initial take on Google TV is that it represents a paradigm shift for entertainment on the television. Smart TV, I think, is an appropriate designation because it is akin to the technology gap between dumb phones and smart phones. And this is my initial takeaway despite not having felt like I scratched the surface of what it is capable of, the Android Market availability, or widespread development.

The biggest challenge is marketing it so that consumers realize what it is capable of today and gaining widespread industry/development support. It feels like a platform with no limits that now needs to be exploited.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yep, I've got the Revue but apparently the remote isn't really a full on Harmony remote. It only allows you to define things like set top boxes for watch live tv. That's a real bummer since I was expecting a full remote experience.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yep, I've got the Revue but apparently the remote isn't really a full on Harmony remote. It only allows you to define things like set top boxes for watch live tv. That's a real bummer since I was expecting a full remote experience.
The Revue will control your TV, Receiver, and HD300 (or other stb). There are two different keyboards available (stock and mini), Android and iOS apps featuring voice commands, and an ir receiver for control with an existing remote in your setup.

I understand your disappointment that it doesn't act like a full Harmony remote with multiple activities that you can define. However, there is a video from back in May that shows it doing exactly that: Logitech's Google TV Companion Box hands-on

My (optimistic) guess is that it wasn't ready for launch and that they add the functionality in a future software update.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hrm... I'll have to see how nice it plays with the 300 then. The impression iwas getting at AVS was that it was really limited. I guess I'll know myself tomorrow
Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hrm... I'll have to see how nice it plays with the 300 then. The impression iwas getting at AVS was that it was really limited. I guess I'll know myself tomorrow
Looking forward to your impressions of the Revue, especially with pairing it to the HD300.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok... trying to pair this thing with the 300 and failing. It gives me SageTV as a potential receiver but when I put in the model number STP-HD300 I get nothing back.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok... trying to pair this thing with the 300 and failing. It gives me SageTV as a potential receiver but when I put in the model number STP-HD300 I get nothing back.
Try HD200 or 100... the control should be the same.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
From the "Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters" sticky:

Quote:
For Harmony remotes, select:
Device = Media Center PC; Manufacturer=Sagetv; Model= STX-HD100
Device = Media Center PC; Manufacturer=Sagetv; Model= STP-HD200
Like the previous poster said, selecting the HD200 should work as they share the same remote codes.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Dear god this thing is... seriously bad I'm still playing but other than better Netflix and Youtube its not a good add-on for Sage. Xfinity on demand web won't play back (oddly their trailers will). Hulu and all major networks blocked. Hoping to find some silver lining.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Dear god this thing is... seriously bad I'm still playing but other than better Netflix and Youtube its not a good add-on for Sage.
Until GoogleTV is able to interface directly with a SageTV server over the network (without the use of an HD300) I don't think it will satisfy most here, and that certainly wont happen before the GoogleTV SDK is released "early next year".

Until a GoogleTV app market is open, and the SDK is released, I don't see any real point in GoogleTV.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Dear god this thing is... seriously bad I'm still playing but other than better Netflix and Youtube its not a good add-on for Sage. Xfinity on demand web won't play back (oddly their trailers will). Hulu and all major networks blocked. Hoping to find some silver lining.
Give it some time.

There is a lot to explore and a ton of content available, far more than what Sage by itself offers. The Queue feature, the spotlight websites, and Youtube leanback are all very cool. Try the Menu button on the Home screen for customization options, including user-defined "shelfs." In settings, you can create custom hot-keys for launching apps, etc.

I love the idea that it is a layer on top of your current DVR/TV setup; enhancing the existing experience. If you had to switch inputs, or it didn't bring in your DVR/TV then it wouldn't be nearly as compelling.

It'll only get better from here, this is just the beginning.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
I love the idea that it is a layer on top of your current DVR/TV setup; enhancing the existing experience. If you had to switch inputs, or it didn't bring in your DVR/TV then it wouldn't be nearly as compelling.

It'll only get better from here, this is just the beginning.
There's only one DVR it currently supports-DishTV. Nobody elses. And now ABC, CBS and NBC are blocking their online TV shows from being viewed through Google TV along with Hulu, NBC Universal and News Corporation, which is also blocking its online content from being seen by Google TV users.

So the pickin's look a little slimmer than everyone thought.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
There's only one DVR it currently supports-DishTV. Nobody elses. And now ABC, CBS and NBC are blocking their online TV shows from being viewed through Google TV along with Hulu, NBC Universal and News Corporation, which is also blocking its online content from being seen by Google TV users.

Gerry
Yes and no with regard to the DVR support. Currently Dish is the only provider that offers "deep DVR integration" with Google TV. Meaning, the Google TV can query the recorded shows on the Dish DVR and show them in search results while also scheduling recordings on the Dish DVR.

Google TV support for all other DVR's consists of it being "guide data aware." In that, search results will include shows airing now or in the future. It also has the ability to tune into a live program, switch to the DVR's guide, and switch to the DVR's list of recordings. In its current form, Google TV will stay out of your way if you want it to but is ready to be recalled at the touch of a button to enhance your viewing experience with apps and a thing called The Internet.

As for the networks, Google is in talks with them and I would expect it to be resolved shortly. The rumored Hulu Plus support with a reduced $4.95/month subscription price would also appeal to many.

When the SDK releases and the Android Market is available in January, everything will be shaken up a bit.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
...............Hulu and all major networks blocked. Hoping to find some silver lining.
I hear something about Hulu being available by changing a network setting - the first hack so to speak......... looking ........ How to play Hulu on GoogleTV Try this.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, they fixed that almost immediately Can't do the proxy trick either because there's no place to set a proxy.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Actually the pickins are about as what I would expect... All the networks pretty much block their NON-US FANS already... so none of those options would entice us non US folk I'm sure anyone who is already a FAN of these networks, AND the networks block them... well, I'm sure the FANS will go elsewhere for content (sage recordings, internet, etc), which is a shame really.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the networks are actually waiting for google to approach them to "lease" their publicly available content for google tv. Either way, for me, I have no interest in streaming content from any of the major network sites... it would be tool cumbersome anyways.... Something like a native HULU client on google tv would fill the gap, but I doubt we'll ever see that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Until GoogleTV is able to interface directly with a SageTV server over the network (without the use of an HD300) I don't think it will satisfy most here, and that certainly wont happen before the GoogleTV SDK is released "early next year".

Until a GoogleTV app market is open, and the SDK is released, I don't see any real point in GoogleTV.
I agree. I'll hold out from buying a until, until the SDK released, and the Market is opened.