SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Sage Icon

2003 server or 2008?

I currently have Sage up and running for years now on 2003 R2 without a hitch.

I am about to upgrade to a new system for larger RAID and CPU capacity. Is it worth migrating to 2008 server (OS is Free) or sticking with 2003 R2. I will also be adding two HD-PVR's if that matters or not.

Thanks,
Skybolt
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I currently have Sage up and running for years now on 2003 R2 without a hitch.

I am about to upgrade to a new system for larger RAID and CPU capacity. Is it worth migrating to 2008 server (OS is Free) or sticking with 2003 R2. I will also be adding two HD-PVR's if that matters or not.

Thanks,
Skybolt
That's a good question. If this is a new system and you are throwing an OS on it, go with 2008. It doesn't hurt, and no need to put an older os on if 2008 is free for you. I will tell you that if you are doing software RAID, there doesn't seem to be any change in performance etc. You do get all the benefits of the newer os, like DFS replication improvements, and if it's R2, Aero in your remote desktop sessions etc..
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Sage Icon

Well when your right, your right. 2008 R2 does a nice job. Even supports RAID 5 natively without addons.

I am going to do some tests on data recovery with R2, regarding HD crash and replace, before I setup my 6TB RAID 5 drive.

I am undecided whether to stay with the OS RAID 5 or buy the High Point 8 port hardware card which claims to support growth with live data.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Skybolt
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

RAID 5 natively without addons? Server 2003 does that also, unless you mean driver support. They both perform about the same in that arena. I wouldn't go with Highpoint, but that's a personal opinion based on their seemingly lax support and driver updates. Look for LSI based cards, like Dell PERC 6i, on eBay. Also their is 3ware. Dynamic expansion is nice. I did it on my Linux box with software RAID from 4.5tb to 6tb. Took about 30 hours while staying live and recording.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
RAID 5 natively without addons? Server 2003 does that also, unless you mean driver support. They both perform about the same in that arena. I wouldn't go with Highpoint, but that's a personal opinion based on their seemingly lax support and driver updates. Look for LSI based cards, like Dell PERC 6i, on eBay. Also their is 3ware. Dynamic expansion is nice. I did it on my Linux box with software RAID from 4.5tb to 6tb. Took about 30 hours while staying live and recording.
True on the RAID 5 but in 2003 R2, but you needed to be runnig the AD tree in order to get RAID 5 support. In 2008 R2 no need for AD tree, makes life simpler for a video server.

I have an nVidia 730i MB, which supports Spare drive desgination and dynamic growth of the array. I am just not sure I want to rely on th MB for this. Thanks for the suggestion on the Dell controller. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
Skybolt
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quick question. Would the HD-PVR drivers even install on Server 2008?
I thought some OS hacking was involved to get it working on there.
Let me know. I'll go this route when next I rebuild..
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini0 View Post
Quick question. Would the HD-PVR drivers even install on Server 2008?
I thought some OS hacking was involved to get it working on there.
Let me know. I'll go this route when next I rebuild..
After my testing with the raid array, that is my next test. I have read oposing post's on this. It might be a while before I post back on the HD-PVR though. I am still in the testing phase and have not loaded/configured Sage as yet.

-Skybolt
Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
True on the RAID 5 but in 2003 R2, but you needed to be runnig the AD tree in order to get RAID 5 support. In 2008 R2 no need for AD tree, makes life simpler for a video server.

I have an nVidia 730i MB, which supports Spare drive desgination and dynamic growth of the array. I am just not sure I want to rely on th MB for this. Thanks for the suggestion on the Dell controller. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
Skybolt

Not sure what you mean by "AD Tree", as a Google of the term comes up with nothing related to Windows Server and RAID. Coming from my knowledge of Windows Server (MCSE 2003, not tooting my own horn) Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter editions all support Software Raid. I can't confirm, but I am pretty sure the Small Business server editions will also. I ran Server 2003 standard, without doing anything with AD (Active Directory) with a software RAID. As a standalone "Member Server" all raid features are available. The same goes for Server 2008. Not trying to be a nitpicker here, but I don't like seeing wrong info being written when others may take statements in this thread as correct.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR on server 2008

HD-PVR and Sage works just fine with server 2008 (I don't know about R2, but I assume it will similarly work)

However, be advised that if you have tuners that require the BDA subsystem (i.e. DVB cards), it is not installed by default. You can install it, a bit tricky, but it works. Google for details.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "AD Tree", as a Google of the term comes up with nothing related to Windows Server and RAID. Coming from my knowledge of Windows Server (MCSE 2003, not tooting my own horn) Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter editions all support Software Raid. I can't confirm, but I am pretty sure the Small Business server editions will also. I ran Server 2003 standard, without doing anything with AD (Active Directory) with a software RAID. As a standalone "Member Server" all raid features are available. The same goes for Server 2008. Not trying to be a nitpicker here, but I don't like seeing wrong info being written when others may take statements in this thread as correct.
Ok, A little off topic, and might I add that I do appreciate your respones and that we share very similar backgrounds makes your input that much more appreciated.

That being said, I also share your egorness to post correctly. I have three servers runinng at home. One SBS acting as a PDC with Active Directory, and two standard installs of 2003 R2 not running Active Directory nor are they Domain Controllers or part of a Domain. Just to check that I was not loosing my mind, I added three 500gb drives (Seagate SATA) to one of my R2's and no raid options other that mirroring, spanned and extended. No RAID 5 option anywhere.

Now that could be because I also do not have SMS installed either. In any event I do know that when Active Directory is installed/setup and the box is a some sort of Domain controller that RAID 5 is available. This comes from my own personal experiece. As I have deployed a few servers and rolled out self building workstations through SMS. Perhaps that is needed to have RAID 5 available - not sure.

All in all this is what I have experienced and tested today. Thank you for your input on 2008 R2 as I am going to stick with it lots of options for expansion.

-Skybolt
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytulpan View Post
HD-PVR and Sage works just fine with server 2008 (I don't know about R2, but I assume it will similarly work)

However, be advised that if you have tuners that require the BDA subsystem (i.e. DVB cards), it is not installed by default. You can install it, a bit tricky, but it works. Google for details.
Cool Good to know Thanks!

-Skybolt
Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Just to check that I was not loosing my mind, I added three 500gb drives (Seagate SATA) to one of my R2's and no raid options other that mirroring, spanned and extended. No RAID 5 option anywhere.

-Skybolt
Ahh, I see what you missed. You have to turn the disks into Dynamic Disks.
Right click on the gray area where it says Disk0 etc... to the left of the actual partion, and click on "Convert to Dynamic Disk"
After that, simply follow the tutorial below.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

No SMS, AD, or any other additions needed :-)
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ahh, I see what you missed. You have to turn the disks into Dynamic Disks.
Right click on the gray area where it says Disk0 etc... to the left of the actual partion, and click on "Convert to Dynamic Disk"
After that, simply follow the tutorial below.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

No SMS, AD, or any other additions needed :-)
Your right I never did that, That is what I missed. Cool - good information in this thread. In 2008 R2 it ask's to convert to dynamic when setting up the raid 5 disks even when they are still Basic. That is what threw me. I have been out of IT for a while now. It s amazing how quickly you forget the basics.

Thanks again,
Skybolt
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, you would think they would have put the wizard in there back then, but at least they did it with 2008.
Mike