SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM

SageTV will not stop recording

i like the app so far, but everytime i open it up it automatically records whatever i watch and DOESNT delete the video after i close sagetv, so i have to manually go into the folder and delete it. This is driving me insane, almost to the point where i will consider other software if this isnt fixed. i downloaded the multiple stop option plugin but doesnt show any options to delete recordings. also in the program guide it shows a "Rec" red box on a channel that wont go away, please help!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 PM
SageTVaholic

By design, SageTV always records what you watch, so that you can pause and rewind if you like, or decide halfway through that you want to keep the recording. If you don't decide to keep it, Sage will delete it automatically when the space is needed for other recordings. If you want it deleted sooner, there's an option for that under Detailed Setup > Customize > Delete LiveTV files when not using Intelligent Recording.

As a separate issue, if there's a continuous REC icon even when you're not watching anything, that usually indicates one of three things:

* You returned to the Main Menu without stopping playback of whatever you were watching. Playback (and recording) is still going on; you just can't see it because the Main Menu has no preview window. (This is a design flaw in the menu system, in my opinion.)

* Someone elsewhere on your LAN has shut off a TV without stopping playback on an extender or PC client, so that Live TV is still playing (and recording) invisibly.

* You have SageTV set to play video continuously in the menu background. Since SageTV always records what it plays, this will result in continuous recording.

If you really, really don't want anything recorded when you watch live (i.e. no ability to pause or rewind), that's not something SageTV can do, but your TV's built-in tuner can do that, and so (probably) can the software that came with your TV capture card.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Sage User

I understand that is how it currently works in Sage, but it doesn't make it right. I don't care what SageTV has to do behind the scenes so that users can RW, FF or decide to record later. If they have to "Record" to provide these features, that's fine. Just don't show REC in the GUI. To a user it's not recording until I click the Record button.

That said, SageTV is still the best PVR software out there!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

Press the stop button on the PC screen or on the remote (on Hauppauge, its the unlabeled button with a square icon). Then close down Sage.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeaulieu View Post
I understand that is how it currently works in Sage, but it doesn't make it right. I don't care what SageTV has to do behind the scenes so that users can RW, FF or decide to record later. If they have to "Record" to provide these features, that's fine. Just don't show REC in the GUI. To a user it's not recording until I click the Record button.

That said, SageTV is still the best PVR software out there!
But, I want to know if something is Recording, regardless if it is Live television that someone is watching or something entirely different. Often times my wife will be watching the news (or some thing else) "live" and forget to hit stop. I will be in the basement and see that Sage is still recording even though there is nothing scheduled to be recording and then I know to run upstairs and stop her live tv playback. If Sage didn't mark it with an "REC", I would never know she left a tuner recording and may miss items since a tuner is tied up!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Sage User

You may already know this, but SageTV will not miss a recording even if the tuner is tied up and no one is watching SageTV.

Here is an example of what happens in my home.
My wife or kid is watching live TV in another room and did not hit Stop when they were done, so it continues to record. When it is time to record a schedualed problem it will ask if it is OK to change the channel or not. If a user does not respond it will default to "Yes - change the channel" and it will resume the recording schedual.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Sage User

Is there a way (using only the SageMC program) to stop a SCHEDULED recording mid-way through and KEEP what you've recorded so far? Every option I've tried just deletes the recording.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage User

Just using the SageTV-Media-Center program, I would have to say no there is not a way to keep it from being automatically deleted.

Correct me if I am wrong but, the only way I know how to do that is, when viewing the program set it to be "manual" and it will not be deleted, even if it is stopped in the middle of the program. None of the automatic process with over-rides "manual". I use it all the time to prevent programs from being deleted that I want to keep.