SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

View Poll Results: SageTV setup
SageTV on a non-dedicated box w/o a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client 2 2.02%
SageTV on a non-dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client 14 14.14%
SageTV on a dedicated box w/o a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client 10 10.10%
SageTV on a dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client 73 73.74%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageTV setup

I just responded to a post about the benefits of using the HD100s-200s and came to the conclusion that I have had SageTV installed in just about every configuration that I can think of, which made me wonder how is everyone else's hardware config currently setup?

I currently have my server set up as a hub and spoke configuration where my SageTV server is on a headless dedicated box and it has a HD100, HD200, and placeshifter clients connected to it throughout the house and work.

So I thought I would create a poll and forum post to discuss setups and the benefits of how they work for everyone. Whats your config and why?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Any special reason you're omitting MVP clients and SageTV Client from the survey? Or is "HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client" meant to include clients of any kind?

I'm also not clear on whether you intend for "dedicated" to mean "headless". I run Sage on a dedicated box (i.e. one that's not otherwise used as a general-purpose Windows workstation), but it's not headless; I have a TV hooked up to it and use it as a playback client.

So it seems to me the interesting choices would be more along the lines of:

* Headless server serving one or more extenders and/or client PCs.

* Server with a connected TV serving additional clients.

* Standalone Sage system with a connected TV and no additional clients.

In each case there's also the choice of whether the server is dedicated to Sage (and other media tools), or is also used for general computing, web surfing, office applications, and whatnot.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I knew when I made the poll it would be picked apart by someone.. Here is a better breakdown of each of the options to offer more of an explanation.

* SageTV on a non-dedicated box w/o a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Means running a PC w/ Sage Client where the PC does have other uses such as browse the Internet, check email, and/or any other PC use that would be considered normal PC functions as well as using it for your DVR.

* SageTV on a non-dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Means a PC that can run the Sage client and where you are utilizing other options such as a HD100/HD200, Place Shifter, MVP, etc and the PC is also used for browsing the Internet, checking email, and/or any other PC use that would be considered normal PC functions as well using it for your DVRs.

* SageTV on a dedicated box w/o a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Means running a PC w/ Sage Client only that does not have other uses such as browse the Internet, check email, and any other PC use that would be considered normal PC functions.

* SageTV on a dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Means running a PC w/ Sage server with possibly the client as well and you are utilizing other options such as a HD100/HD200, Place Shifter, MVP, etc where the PC does not have other uses such as browse the Internet, check email, and any other PC use that would be considered normal PC functions.

Really this poll offers no scientific value other than satisfying a general curiosity of the way other people use SageTV and what their configs are. I am sure there are many hybrid configs out that that my options do not even remotely touch and hope that they will select the closest option listed above and describe how and why they have their config setup in the posts below the poll.

I like SageTV a lot! And, it has lots of great uses. Just trying to get an idea of how other people use Sage to expand their life and TV/DVR viewing.

Last edited by JetreL; 02-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

That's more or less what I thought you meant. One further point of clarification, however: you're using "Sage Client" somewhat unconventionally to mean the SageTV UI running on the server. You do not mean the separate SageTV Client product running on another machine on the LAN; that would count as "HD100/HD200, Place Shifter, MVP, etc".
Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

I wonder where my usage would fall. I have SageTV installed on a WHS machine that also runs my CQC automation software. So on one hand, it is not a dedicated SageTV machine. On the other hand, it is a computer in the closet that does not have any normal user interaction with it (no web browing, email, etc, normal apps, etc). So it is more of a true "server" role.

I was going to vote SageTV on a non-dedicated machine running HD-100s, but now I am not sure after reading your further explaination.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I was going to vote SageTV on a non-dedicated machine running HD-100s, but now I am not sure after reading your further explanation.
I think it would go more in line with:

SageTV on a dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Because I really don't think of a home automation server would be what is in-line with normal computer use.

A great example is, on the Linux server I run a web server, mail server, a database, etc.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
I think it would go more in line with:

SageTV on a dedicated box with a HD100/HD200 or placeshifter client

Because I really don't think of a home automation server would be what is in-line with normal computer use.

A great example is, on the Linux server I run a web server, mail server, a database, etc.
Done - one vote for dedicated machine with HD-100.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I suppose mine would have to be classified as a "non-dedicated" PC. It is headless and sits in a closet, but I use it from work to view websites that I shouldn't / can't at work (sometimes, even a work related site that is inadvertently blocked). I also use it to record a daily radio program (outside of Sage). While it is connected to my TV, that is almost exclusively used only for setup purposes.

Most of the time I use my two HD-100's for viewing. I still have an MVP that I sometimes use to play music.

Wayne
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Sage Icon

I voted dedicated box, even though SageTV isn't the only server application. It runs my Home Automation & SQL Server stuff, but I believe that's within the constraints you stated above.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

The dedicated headless SageTV computer is really the best way to go. The SageTV system reliability improves when you stop web browsing with the SageTV system.

The MVP is an option and does work, but the video quality is worse than the HD-200. The MVP audio quality and reliability are drastically worse than the HD-200.

Dave
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Sage Icon

I answered, but the explanation is better. My definition also differs from yours:

Purpose built SageTV HTPC sitting under the 52" LCD...BUT, I use it for ALL media related computer duties (Web, Rhapsody, Tunebite, DVDShrink, Security Cameras with Blue Iris, etc...)

I own an HD200 that hardly gets used.

I own 2 Client Licenses that hardly get used.

I have WHS that serves everything BUT Recorded TV...that gets stored on the HTPC.

My families viewing habits are pretty simple.

P
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
My definition also differs from yours:
I love that statement. It's funny how we are all talking about the same product but it can differ so dramatically.

Any way thanks to all that answered!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess I'm the 3rd one. Dedicated box without an HD100/200 or placeshifter... i do have an MVP in the bedroom though, and use placeshifter from work and in the car.. so again.. doesn't really fit that one either... BluRay, 3D Video, and Games are the primary reasons I haven't switched to an HD200 in my living room (well, that and my current system works perfectly, so why spend more money?)...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

After reading it 3 times and not knowing which I was I decided not to vote.
*** Can anyone tell me what button to push?

I have a WHS that hosts more than just TV files but is mostly 95% Media crap.

I do not use the HD 100/200 but will use the Xbox 360 occasionally as an extender but just to remind myself how much MCE sucks.

I have two PCs with the Sage Clients on 2 large HDTVs and 3 more on PCs attached to other wide screen monitors in various rooms around the house.

I also have a box attached to the WHS that converts the VGA output to analog over cable that runs to two old sets near the hot tube and in my shop. (I control it with IR repeaters)

Lastly I have Placeshifter on a Netbook that is all but useless since most of what I want is in HD-PVR files that Placeshifter will not work with.

What is clear as I write this is that I have spent way too much time and money on this! (Of course the envy of other who see it in action is a plus)

Last edited by SWKerr; 02-24-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have to agree with Fuzzy, I have an MVP serving content to a LCD in an exercise room with two placeshifters on 2 laptops. A dedicated Atom 330 running in the living room with Sage and Boxee. My Sage server runs on a multipurpose desktop in my office.

So I guess I am 1, 2 and 3.