SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Sage User

Turn off bookmarks / watched status

How do you turn off the bookmark 'feature' in SageTV? My kids will frequently watch a movie, but turn it off when something else grabs their attention. They (and I) do NOT want Sage to remember where the video was last stopped. When I select a movie to watch, I expect it to start from the beginning. I'd like the OPTION of setting a bookmark, but it shouldn't be the default behavior, especially for movies.

When my kids select a movie and it begins half way through (or even worse, at the beginning of the credits) there is always alarm and questions of why that happened. For a long movie, that is a lot of rewinding to get back to the beginning of the movie. I thought we had gotten past the days of needing to rewind a movie before watching it!

So... Is there a way to turn off the automatic bookmarking feature? If not, is there a single command that will make a movie or recording jump back to the beginning, rather than having to rewind?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
I'd like the OPTION of setting a bookmark, but it shouldn't be the default behavior, especially for movies.
I disagree. Setting the bookmark should be the default, since there's no harm in setting it so long as there's an easy way to ignore it (which there is; see below). But the reverse is not true: if you forget to set one when you want one, there's no easy workaround; you must fast-forward to get back to where you left off. So clearly setting it automatically is the right thing to do.

Quote:
If not, is there a single command that will make a movie or recording jump back to the beginning, rather than having to rewind?
Toggling the Watched flag will clear the bookmark and start playback from the beginning.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Sage Expert

Or, easier, the Multi-Stop add-in for the stanrard STV lets you go to the beginning of a recording with 2 keystrokes (along with other cool additions to the basic 'stop' button function).
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'd like the OPTION of setting a bookmark, but it shouldn't be the default behavior, especially for movies.
Seriously?

This is my favourite function in SageTV!
I just wish that HomeSeer would make it easier to remember the last playlist or item I watched...

But I agree that I could be made optional. But let this be the default value.
1x HD200
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Toggling the Watched flag will clear the bookmark and start playback from the beginning.
Does toggling the watched status erase the bookmark, or does it just make SageTV ignore it?

Suppose I programed my universal remote to send the 'Watched' command followed by the 'Play' command any time I press the play button. Would this consistently remove program bookmarks? Would there be any negative side effects? Anyone have any better ideas?

Is there a command in SageTV to jump to the very beginning of a video? If not, maybe there should be...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Does toggling the watched status erase the bookmark, or does it just make SageTV ignore it?

Suppose I programed my universal remote to send the 'Watched' command followed by the 'Play' command any time I press the play button. Would this consistently remove program bookmarks? Would there be any negative side effects? Anyone have any better ideas?

Is there a command in SageTV to jump to the very beginning of a video? If not, maybe there should be...

I have these same 2 concerns, I think I posted about them when I first came to Sage. Also with kids in my case. BTV will ask you if you want to start from the beginning when you start a show. Also the watched toggle thing doesn't always seem to work for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
i believe the watched status and bookmark location are reset in the wiz.bin (database)

Quote:
well if the video is only partially watched, pressing watched will set it to be fully watched... if its fully watched it wont do anything... In either case i think the playback will start from the beginning.

However, If your goal is to ALWAYS ignore the watched status, and always start playback from the beginning, for everything, I would solve this in studio. I would reset the watched status whenever playback is started (and force playback to start at the beginning). Alternately, you could add a "Play" popup dialog when you press Play to play from beginning or play from bookmark...

Quote:
If you use sagemc when you hit stop there is an option to restart playback from the beginning. For the default STV i believe the multifunction stop import does this as well...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
For the default STV i believe the multifunction stop import does this as well...
What is the "multifunction stop import"? I did a search for it, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

Here is the multi-function stop STVi.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
If you use sagemc when you hit stop there is an option to restart playback from the beginning. For the default STV i believe the multifunction stop import does this as well...
SageMC also does this when you start a video - you can choose from "restart" or "resume".
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Sage Icon

The Default UI does prompt you (resume playback or start from beginning) when you play a DVD file, but not for other imported video types.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to make an import using Studio that prompts you for all imported videos...
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR

Tags
bookmark, position, save position