SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD200 paused live subsequently records everything?

Confusing title, i know, sorry.

I set a show to record in the morning.

I was watching the show on my hd200 as it was still recording last night, several minutes behind live. (started it a half hour in)

I paused it and went to bed

This morning, i found out that sage had recorded every show on that channel after the show i watched. I then went to the hd200 and hit stop, at which point, sage killed the show it was currently recording.
I noticed that as it recorded subsequent shows i didn't care about, it deleted them one after another.

Any way to prevent such behaviour? I feel it was fairly obvious that i wasn't concerned with shows after the one i wanted recorded...

thanks
1x HDHR (dual tuner) <- Verizon wire
3x HD200 wired latest beta fw
Gig-E wired network
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Sage Icon

The extender had no way of knowing that you weren't coming back and didn't want to watch all of those shows. It just assumed "the show was paused and they will be back to finish watching." I don't know how the behavior could be changed and not piss off people who are watching programs that were delayed because of a sporting event (or the sporting event itself).
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

I suppose, but it seems to me that if i scheduled a recording and started watching that recording delayed, there's no reason to assume i cared about what was going to come on after that recording.

What happens if something else is scheduled to record and it is in this state? Will it stop recording the stuff i don't care about to switch to the scheduled recording, or will it miss it?

edit: When i doubt about pissing people off by changing behavior of things, make an option item to do it either way.
Gig-E wired network

Last edited by ericscottf; 01-28-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericscottf View Post
I suppose, but it seems to me that if i scheduled a recording and started watching that recording delayed, there's no reason to assume i cared about what was going to come on after that recording.
The fact that it was a scheduled recording doesn't preclude someone else from tuning in live on another client and expecting it to behave just like live TV, i.e. buffering everything on that channel until they hit Stop. Because the UI is completely customizable, the recording engine has no way to know that in your mind you're not watching live, you're watching a scheduled recording time-shifted. So to be safe it does have to assume that someone is watching live and cares about what comes on next.

I agree that this behavior should be optional, but to be clear, the effect of the option would be to disable live TV track-through altogether and dump you back to the program guide at the end of every program (since it would not automatically start recording the next program).
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I guess it isn't a big deal so long as it doesn't keep the shows it "accidentally" (for lack of a better word) recorded.

but what happens in this situation if the tuner is needed for another show, one that was scheduled to record?

on my replay, a message would come up with a 30 second timer... "The system needs to change the channel to 123. Press stop to prevent this and continue recording live tv for you" or some such.

Or will it just forget about the scheduled recording?
Gig-E wired network
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What happens if something else is scheduled to record and it is in this state? Will it stop recording the stuff i don't care about to switch to the scheduled recording, or will it miss it?
It will pop up a message asking if it can change the channel. If not answered it will (AFAIK) assume yes, change the channel and record it.

FWIW, it's a best practice to turn off/sleep/quit your a Sage client when you're not using it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh, good.

We're coming off of replaytv in my household, and i don't expect people to remember to stop/turn off the hd200s. habbit, and all.

I'm having enough trouble convincing everyone that this is better, and showing how to use the new stuff.

for the most part, though, i'm happy with sage.
Gig-E wired network
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

A good universal remote with on/off macros can take care of the powering off the extender when you turn off the TV.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I assumed that i could train sage's infrared receiver to detect tv power off and shut iself down upon seeing that.

Doesn't help when someone leaves the tv on or turns it off by the button on the tv, however.

I don't love the sage HD200 remote, so perhaps i will go with a universal. The pause and play buttons seem to have been an afterthought, when to me, they're really rather important.
Gig-E wired network
Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

It would have been easier for the user to simply press stop rather then pause. Sage knows where you left off watching it and will resume from the same point so there is no reason to pause a scheduled recording. Pause by nature means you want to wait a while before continuing from where you left off, thats what pause should do.

To answer the other question yes if this causes a conflict with another recording it will popup a prompt about is it okay to change channels, if you do not respond it will change the channel to get the other recording.

The best habit to form is to not watch live TV then it's a non-issue at the end of each program it will automatically stop.

Me personally it wouldn't bother me if sage stopped at the each of each program but I know many of those who watch live TV wouldn't want that either. They already moan and cry about the 1 second delay between program start and stop.

Last edited by CollinR; 01-28-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I guess it'll work out, it just strikes me as odd that there's no difference in behavior for a user who has started from the beginning of an already partially recorded program and one who is literally watching right up against the live wall (crazy people, i call those)

I had just as many unsettling feelings when i went from tivo to replaytv, i'll just have to get over it.

It'll be especially nice when i get a second tuner going and completely move away from replay.
Gig-E wired network
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I guess it'll work out, it just strikes me as odd that there's no difference in behavior for a user who has started from the beginning of an already partially recorded program and one who is literally watching right up against the live wall (crazy people, i call those)
Where do you draw the line? The "live wall" is actually maybe a second or two behind live. How far back do you go before you decide it's not live anymore? 10 minutes? What if you started watching live then got interrupted by a 15 minute phone call?

I only point this out because there's not a simple answer to the situation, as is the case with a lot of the things that Sage does differently than other solutions. Sage is rather unique in that it's from the core a client/server system and that's driven a lot of different choices than other solutions made.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

indeed, of course. Since sage will ask to relinquish the tuner if a scheduled recording is about to happen, then it isn't a big deal at all.
Gig-E wired network