SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Help: Pixelation with HD Home Run

I bought an HD Homerun and at first I thought it was working just fine. But there seems to be an issue when recording to with it and also have something else recording on the network. I have a Gigabit network and have never had an issue quite like this. I am hoping there is some simple setting I am missing.

I don't think it is the network bandwith, as I can record simultaneously with a modded VIP211 and also with and Hauppauge HD-PVR (or even 2).

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 AM
SageTVaholic

If you are getting blocky pixellation then it is most likely a signal quality issue. What is your source?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for your reply. It is over the air. The thing is I have no issues, until two programs are recorded at the same time. The program shows a very high signal strength (some even 100%) and if I use the view app for the HD Homerun, the pixelization is not there. That's why I am thinking it is something related to Sagetv and how it handles the Homerun feed.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, pixelation is a symptom of inconsistent quality in the stream, so I suppose if your harddrive isn't up to the task of writing both streams and reading one back, that MIGHT be a cause of issues. However, I have never seen a problem with this on any relatively modern harddrive.

Are you using the latest version of the HDHomeRun drivers/firmware? there were issues with previous version where it would send the entire multi-cast over the network, instead of just the selected program. however, ATSC is still not THAT much data, so that also shouldn't be a problem.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

I will double check the drivers, but I just installed from their web site, so I am thinking it is they are the latest. Again, I am able to stream record from 2, even 3 HD sources simultaneously without problem. Whatever the issue is, it revolves around the HD Homerun.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage User

1) Please run HDHomeRun Setup, enable Send diagnostic information... on the Advanced tab and click Apply

2) Click Rescan on the Tuners tab

3) Click Scan on the Channels tab

4) Reproduce the issue in SageTV

Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and I'll check the logs.

Jason
Silicondust
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. I shall do so. May not get a chance to until the weekend.

I appreciate your reply.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage User

For fastest response, you may want to post on our (Silicondust's) forums, or submit a trouble ticket once you have gone through the steps.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have followed the directions supplied above. I have scheduled a recording for early tomorrow. I have selected the strongest over air source (100% signal strength). For the first 1.5 hours, it will be the HD Homerun recording alone. Beginning at 7:30am EST, a second program will be recording via the VIP211.

The tuner id is 1020860F-0

Thanks!

Last edited by Ralphjb; 01-29-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

This was done this morning. I recorded two programs, both on Local 4, which is consistently the most powerful signal (always 100%). The first show originated locally. The first 1.5 hours it was the only thing on the network. Then another recorder kicked in (VIP211). Watching this to the end, there was no pixelation. However, the next show, originating from the Network, was highly pixelated.

Just now I use the signal utility and checked channels. Things are coming in very strongly. Also, I was able to watch with SageTV without issue. There is another program being recorded on the VIP211.

Not sure any of this info helps you, but those are my observations.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I am watching right now. Nothing else is being recorded. I am getting pixelization. Not a total wash out, but way too much to be watchable. I have the HD Homerun Config window open and the signal meters show all green. Not 100%, but very strong.

Just not sure if there some setting in SageTV I could make, or something else, to address this.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am getting pixelization with signal strength at 97, symbol signal at 100 and signal quality jumping around between 75 and 95. Mbps is going from 6 and 19
Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is it possible that the Mbps is the key stats indicating problems? When hit high numbers, there seems like there are more issues.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Solution Provided!

I have been getting help over on the Silicondust forum and am glad to report success! Turned out it was simple network card setting on my SageTV server PC.

For the details, here is a link to the thread:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/vie...?p=43943#43943

Thanks to all that helped and tried to help.