SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

Moving Recordings Between Drives Live?

I searched but cannot find if this can be done live?

The FAQ says to stop SageTV, move the recording, start SageTV again. This works just fine.

What about moving recordings from one Drive to another Drive without stopping SageTV and when done, stop and restart SageTV. Wont this work as well?

I realize that while SageTV is running, it will not see that a recording has been moved. But when SageTV is restarted, wont it then pick up the new locations of the recordings and not mess things up?

When I say move, I am talking about moving between two drives that SageTV knows about.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 AM
SageTVaholic

This is the way I move recordings.

New Drive

1. I create a folder on the new drive.
2. I add it to Sage recordings.
3. I move the recordings through windows explorer cut and paste.
4. I refresh SageTV media ( I have SageTV on manual refresh)
5. New recordings appear correctly on new drive after scan completes.
6. You can remove the old folder if you like.

From Sage Drive to another Drive both in Sage.

1. I simply move them through explorer.
2. refresh Sagetv.

I have SageTV to manual refresh because you do not want sage to refresh while recordings are being moved... also move recordings while there is no current recording in Sage.

The key is that the current folder and new folder both must exist in Sagetv Recordings.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-23-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post

From Sage Drive to another Drive both in Sage.

1. I simply move them through explorer.
2. refresh Sagetv.

Cool thanks. So as long as I have SageTV to refresh manually, all should be well? Does it matter if an EPG update takes place while I am moving recordings?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

There is another thread about accomplishing this automatically but it has been a busy week and I am still to start working with Sage Job Que and thus for the time being this manual option is attractive to me.

One question. I understand that both directories must be available to sagetv under the recording directories. One issue I have is that if I have the two: WHS and local drive then the WHS is always first on the list with the local drive second. Does that indicate the order in which they will be used? I ask because what I am trying to do is force the recordings to go into the local drive. Maybe I am missing something or there is a setting on the options file? FYI, the WHS is set as recording using all space and the local drive as use all but 100; could this be causing WHS to go first on the list?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found this looking at the Sage properties file:

seeker/video_storage=C\:\\MyVideos,100000000000,2;\\\\HPSERVER1\\Recorded TV,125000000000,2;

I was not able to find a spot to tell it to give priority to the local drive. The only other thing I thought it could be was priority based on drive letter and I mapped the whs share to Y but it still records to the WHS over the local drive. I am assuming that removing the WHS share from the recording directories and adding it under say the imported directories (Video) is not an option?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM
SageTVaholic

The info is in the manual, but in short, the way sage decides where to record a file is based on how much free space there is. It will always record to the storage with the most free (allowed) space left. The only way to change this behavior is to manually lock an encoder to a specific recording path (setting in the Sage.properties file)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Fuzzy that is what I was starting to think.

I have read the 287 pages manual 2+ times but I guess that with so much info in there I just did not remember this bit. I did search for recordings and directories in the sage properties file and nothing stroke me like a limiting option, but will now zero in on the encoder section based on the above once I get home; unless it is a line that needs to be added?

Thanks again.