SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Multiple HD-PVRs with IR Blasters

Hello,

My first HD-PVR will be delivered on Monday! My second HD-PVR is on back order and should be delivered by Feb 8. I have been reading up on how to configure this properly and I am keeping my fingers cross that everything will go smoothly.

I understand that SageTV can't be installed when installing the HD-PVR. When I add the second HD-PVR do I have to uninstall everything and go through the process again? I assume since this is a USB device I shouldn't have any issues with adding a second device.

Also, I am very concurred about using the built in IR blaster with the HD-PVR. I understand that the blaster only works with the last installed Hauppauge device. When I add a second HD-PVR will I be able to use the standard IR blaster on both devices or will I have to upgrade to a USB-UIRT?

Thanks for all the help,
Will
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Hello,I understand that SageTV can't be installed when installing the HD-PVR. When I add the second HD-PVR do I have to uninstall everything and go through the process again? I assume since this is a USB device I shouldn't have any issues with adding a second device.
Sage can be installed but it shouldn't be running. If you decide to use the Hauppage remote with your computer you'd need to re-install Sage afterward because the Sage software modifies the Hauppage software to work properly.

Otherwise you shouldn't need to do much after plugging in the second device. The driver's will already be installed.

Quote:
Also, I am very concurred about using the built in IR blaster with the HD-PVR. I understand that the blaster only works with the last installed Hauppauge device. When I add a second HD-PVR will I be able to use the standard IR blaster on both devices or will I have to upgrade to a USB-UIRT?
No, the IR blaster software can't identify multiple IR blasters. So one might work correctly but the software won't even know there is another one installed. You will need to either go to the USB-UIRT or see if you can go to Firewire channel changing for one or both devices.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Sage can be installed but it shouldn't be running.
I completely disagree with this statement and I think there have been enough people confirming this to recommend against this. You really need to uninstall SageTV before trying to install any Hauppauge HD-PVR drivers. Simply stopping the SageTV service doesn't seem to work reliably.

I do agree that simply plugging in the 2nd unit may work without uninstalling Sage since the drivers have already been installed. But if you start to get any problems on the 2nd unit, then I would recommend uninstalling SageTV and reinstalling it after the 2nd unit is already plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
No, the IR blaster software can't identify multiple IR blasters. So one might work correctly but the software won't even know there is another one installed. You will need to either go to the USB-UIRT or see if you can go to Firewire channel changing for one or both devices.
Agreed - you can use the Hauppauge IR blaster with only 1 Hauppuage device. So even if you have two HD-PVRs, it will only work with 1.

However, if you are using DishTV you can change the IR code for each STB. So it may be possible to use 1 Hauppuage IR blaster to control 2 or more STBs. I haven't tried it, nor have I heard of anyone trying it, so it may not actually work, but it might be something to look into.

Obviously getting a 2nd device - like a USB-UIRT is also a solution.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Obviously getting a 2nd device - like a USB-UIRT is also a solution.
Do you know of any directions on how to use a USB-UIRT with two HD-PVRs?

My first inclination is to use firewire though I am concerned that my Time Warner SA HD Cable Box may not always work with firewire as updates are sent over. What is your preferred method for controlling your HD-PVR?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I completely disagree with this statement and I think there have been enough people confirming this to recommend against this. You really need to uninstall SageTV before trying to install any Hauppauge HD-PVR drivers. Simply stopping the SageTV service doesn't seem to work reliably.
I've never uninstalled SageTV before installing any of my tuners, including my two HD-PVRs. There is no need to uninstall SageTV first for the tuners to work. I do usually exit SageTV before installing new hardware, though.

I do not use the IR blaster from the HD-PVR. It shouldn't be a requirement to uninstall SageTV before using its blaster either, but I won't argue if people say they have better luck with the blaster that way.

It can help to install SageTV after the Hauppauge IR software has been installed if you want to use the Hauppauge remote to control SageTV, but it is possible to manually update the remote's ini file w/o reinstalling SageTV -- there is a FAQ about that and/or see the links in my sig lines.

Regarding configuring the USB-UIRT: there are some links in the sticky for remotes & blasters at the top of this forum that can help set up the USB-UIRT, especially if you need to configure it to use multiple zones if the STBs are not able to be configured for different IR code sets.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I've never uninstalled SageTV before installing any of my tuners, including my two HD-PVRs. There is no need to uninstall SageTV first for the tuners to work. I do usually exit SageTV before installing new hardware, though.
Andy, are you running SageTV as a local client or in a server mode? Should it even make a difference?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post

I do not use the IR blaster from the HD-PVR. It shouldn't be a requirement to uninstall SageTV before using its blaster either, but I won't argue if people say they have better luck with the blaster that way.
Same here, I've never uninstalled Sage to get my HD PVR to work, but I too don't use the Hauppauge blaster, I use a USB-UIRT.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Perhaps it is a Hauppauge Blaster issue that makes the difference (uninstalling SageTV).

Will - if you were asking what my prefered method is - I use the Hauppauge Blaster, but I am only controlling a single HD-PVR.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Andy, are you running SageTV as a local client or in a server mode? Should it even make a difference?
I've run it both ways, but normally I use the service (if that's what you meant). It shouldn't matter whether you are using service mode or not, other than configuring the service to access UNC paths if you use them for recordings or imports.

There may also be some settings to check if you decide to use the USB-UIRT for both blasting & receiving using the service + pseudo-client UI on the same PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Perhaps it is a Hauppauge Blaster issue that makes the difference (uninstalling SageTV).
Possibly. I thought that SageTV just made use of Hauppauge's IR blaster software when it saw it running, but I don't know that for sure since I have no first-hand experience with the Hauppauge blaster.

During installation, SageTV modifies the Hauppauge remote control config file, but I didn't think it needed to modify any files for the blaster side. If it does, that would be why it works better if you install SageTV after installing the Hauppauge blaster software. If it doesn't, then the install order shouldn't matter; in which case, you at least need to have the blaster software running & configured before starting SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.