SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:33 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Jason,

This is most likely what we would do. I should've included that in my first post.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Dan,
Since you are checking this thread... How is .16 coming? Can we expect it this week?

Follower
Old 04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Figured you guys would have thought of that.

Great way to make EVERYONE happy.

Now, where is the next release???

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by dkardatzke
Jason,

This is most likely what we would do. I should've included that in my first post.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

All I know is that when I purchased SageTV, the website said free lifetime upgrades so that is what I expect. It is not my fault if they were foolish in offering that. Those of us who purchased early should be grandfathered and those who waited can pay. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but I am tired of companies promising the world just to get your money and then backpedaling later. Anything else from Sage would be false advertising.

On the nicer side, I love Sage and really appreciate what they are doing. Hell, I would donate a few bucks out of the kindness of my heart. I did it for Slimbrowser! Broken promises are never good business.
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry Dan! I did not finish reading all the posts before I replied. I think that charging for extras that have extra licensing fees would be fair.
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Opus 4 I thought the website use to say all updates are included
but I too would be willing to pay for extra licensing as long as it is fair and at least some what desirable
ex. If they got DVDs to work with the 350.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
Opus 4 I thought the website use to say all updates are included
As far as I recall, it did. I wasn't trying to correct you -- just following up on your note that the "all future releases" comment was "on the website at least before it got updated". So, I simply showed they updated it.

I didn't plan to get into the argument of whether Frey _should_ start charging for upgrades... just wanted to clarify the statement was no longer for "all future upgrades" being free. Obviously, Dan clarified that in response to others' posts.

Anyway... once the promise has been made, I think a company is stuck with it, at least for those who purchased during the period the policy was in effect. I guess what I was trying to lead to was that I don't understand how a company in general can do that and expect to remain viable long term, since there is no way to gain revenue from existing customers, unless a product name change invalidates the upgrade policy or, as mentioned by others, fees are charged for new upgrades that are add-ons as opposed to internal parts of a product. I know that some companies started with a free upgrade policy & then had to find loopholes to get out of that in order to maintain revenue. Some ended up with their original product, DarnGoodSoftware, becoming the basic product that would keep the free upgrade policy (which then didn't get upgraded much more), and a new product, EvenBetterSoftware, that became the flagship product w/o a free upgrade path.

- Andy
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Very cool and the correction was probably needed now that I think of it for someone that is just now looking to buy or has just bought 1.4
did not think about it like that, just was trying to remember
I want Sage to keep up the excellent work
(afterall I want realtime live preview for black bird card and need them to do that, have not bought one yet, but want it(only got one tuner))
and hope they make these decisions about upgrade fees carefully
I see a bunch of new people in the beta forum so that has to help
-Robert
Old 04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Sage Expert

I keep forgetting.

Will studio be a free upgrade or will it cost some pocket change.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:31 PM
SageTVaholic

no free addon with version 2
it is said to be release with gold release of version2
as I understand it
Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

i have no problem whatsoever paying a little more for some modules but by the same token i hope that if i should have to pay more then i should get the flexibility of say, zoom player.

i don't need all of zoom players features in sage but i do need to be able to choose any filter i want, inject ffdshow and have the ability to manipulate (easily zoom) aspect ratios to fill the screen if i so choose.

one of the real killers where filters are concerned is that i can have the dxva box checked in nvdvd 3.0 and allow sage to have hardware assisted tv playback but in zoom player i can simply select nvdvd 3+ (without dxva) from the filter list and not have to mess with the nvdvd media player ap so to inject ffdshow. that's the kind of just slightly expanded filter control that i'd love to have in sage.

the only other thing that i really want is my genre tab back in the music module!!!!!