SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by flagg0204
That also answers my question Which model of Dish box do you have?
flagg-
I've got a 4700 (I think...It's been upgraded) I think they're all the same wrt IR codes...

Herc-
He's referring to painting the opposite wall from your entertainment center stack. The blaster will bounce off that and go back to the cablebox.

RE: the glass door in front of the USB-UIRT:
When the door is left open, it still works OK, but once in a while it doesn't take. I'd suggest you try different positions, and if you can't find one that works THEN go get an emitter. BTW - just Google "IR emitter" for online sources.

-Ren
Old 04-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by RenHoek
flagg-
I've got a 4700 (I think...It's been upgraded) I think they're all the same wrt IR codes...

Herc-
He's referring to painting the opposite wall from your entertainment center stack. The blaster will bounce off that and go back to the cablebox.

RE: the glass door in front of the USB-UIRT:
When the door is left open, it still works OK, but once in a while it doesn't take. I'd suggest you try different positions, and if you can't find one that works THEN go get an emitter. BTW - just Google "IR emitter" for online sources.

-Ren
Will these work with/fit the USB-UIRT: http://www.smarthome.com/8170.HTML ? The only problem is that the shipping cost is more than the emitter! Does anyone have a better option?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for that link.. now hopefully somebody can tell us whether they work or not
Old 04-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Ralph, where did you get the IR Emitter from? I am looking online now
Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. Just got on now.
Actually, I had a couple lying around. They probably came with other components. I tend to hold on to stuff like that.

They do sell them at Radio Shack, though, I know. May want to call ahead, just to make sure they have some in stock.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralphjb
Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. Just got on now.
Actually, I had a couple lying around. They probably came with other components. I tend to hold on to stuff like that.

They do sell them at Radio Shack, though, I know. May want to call ahead, just to make sure they have some in stock.
So the ones in that post 3 or 4 up will work without a prob? They have a 1/8" connector..
Old 04-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So the ones in that post 3 or 4 up will work without a prob? They have a 1/8" connector..
They should. By the time you buy from Smarthome and have it shipped, you could spend a fraction at Radio Shack, and have the emitter right away.

I'll admit I am not a big Smarthome fan, either. I spent time, money and effort with all the X10 s**t. Their support was terrible and really their pricing on almost everything is much higher than the competition.

Anyway, if you can get from Radio Shack, I'd go that route.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Sage User

Hercules-
Re-read the earlier posts in this thread - You'll see that the USB-UIRT provides a __STEREO__ jack that can drive two separate IR emitters from the same jack.

You apparently can't buy stereo emitters (easily...). The ones shown on that SmartHome website are __MONO__ plugs - only two conductors shown.

You'll have to either make an adapter cable (as posted above) or buy a stereo-to-mono-left-and-mono-right adapter (maybe RatShack has those...dunno...)

Although, I doubt much harm would come from using a mono emitter in the USB-UIRT...it'd be driven by either side

-Ren
Old 04-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I went to Radio Shack today... couldn't find them. What am I looking for, and does RadioShack have it on their website?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

They do sell them, although I did a quick search on the Radio Shack web site and nothing came up.

I'd call around to a few stores in your area and see if they have. Or another electronics store.

If that doesn't work, I would do a google search and you'll get lot's of options.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here is the thread in the usbuirt forum.

http://166.70.183.44/phpBB2/viewtopi...er+radio+shack

- Infrared LED, CAT #276-143, web page:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=276%2D143
Old 04-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

They also have some at http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Sage User

According to the USB-UIRT Forum (http://166.70.183.44/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=272), The Xantech emitters at HomeTech should work fine. I hope so, I got one delivered yesterday for testing tonight...
Old 04-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Sage Expert

I am using an emiter from smarthome. It works well enough. Only problem is they charge an arm and a leg for shipping so they can send you a catalog. Anyway..my mono smarthome emitter works fine with the USB-UIRT. Just remember to make your own IR file. The ones provided are for the actisys.

-Scott
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
So, will the 8170S (http://www.smarthome.com/8170.HTML) work with the USB-UIRT? I can't find anywhere that is has a 1/8" connector. The PDF says it has a 3.5mm connector, which is larger than 1/8". Am I missing something? Please let me know since I do want to order one of these things.

Thanks,
Old 04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

3.5mm and 1/8" jacks are the same thing.

Andy.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyS
3.5mm and 1/8" jacks are the same thing.

Andy.
Thanks for the info. I guess I was being to mathamatical since 1/8" is 0.125" and 3.5mm is 0.138".
Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by jglev
Thanks for the info. I guess I was being to mathamatical since 1/8" is 0.125" and 3.5mm is 0.138".
Yea me too... I just placed my order and it scared the crap out of me
Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yea me too... I just placed my order and it scared the crap out of me
I just got mine. Do I have to do anything besides plug it into the back and attach it to the cable box? I did that and re-booted (just in case), but how do I know that it's working? Do I need to do anything else (like somehow tell the UIRT that the emitter is there, or does it just know it is there and blasts the signal into it)?

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by jglev
how do I know that it's working?
The channel on your cable box changes

You need to tell SageTV to use the USB-UIRT in the tuner setup wizard. You also need to teach it the IR codes for your cable box. The ones provided are for the actisys and don't work with the UIRT. If it's not working and you want to know if the emitter is causing the problems then just point the UIRT at the cable box.