SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

USB-UIRT IR Emitter?

Okay here's the deal... I want to use the USBUIRT as a transmitter to my cable box (to change channels) as well as using it to recieve my remote signals.

That said, I don't know how to set this up... there's a 1/8" miniplug jack on the USB-UIRT to hook up something, not sure what though. Anybody point me in the right direction here?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

From the usb-uirt forums. I did this and it works great.

For Radio Shack, you could go buy the following parts:

- 1/8" Stereo Phone Plug, CAT #274-284, web page:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D284

- Infrared LED, CAT #276-143, web page:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=276%2D143

- Cable of your choice. Small speaker wire, phone cable, etc. should work fine. You shouldn't need shielded cable unless you're running this next to power supplies, high voltage, etc.

Then, simply wire the LED to the 1/8" connector using cable. Wiring is as follows:

Connector Barrel <---------> LED Cathode (-)

Connector Tip <-------------> LED Anode (+)

The LED Anode and cathode diagram is usually on the back of the package, but if not, the LED housing will usually have a 'lip' around the base with a flat side toward one of the two leads. The Flat side indicates the CATHODE.

If you're connecting multiple LED's, you can use the 'Ring' connection on the Stereo Connector as well:

Connector Barrel <---------> LED Cathode (-)

Connector Ring <-------------> LED Anode (+)

If you have other sources of electronic parts (or want to order online, etc.) you have a wider selection of emitter LED's, including T-1 miniature size, which are smaller than the only one Radio Shack carries.

-Jon
Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't they just have pre-made IR Emitter wires?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 PM

http://www.smarthome.com/
look for IR Emitters
Keep in mind that no one make a Stereo L/R IR Emitters so you have use a Stereo to L/R Mono adapter with pair of IR Emitters if plan to use address zone.

Last edited by SHS; 04-12-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by SHS
http://www.smarthome.com/
look for IR Emitters
Keep in mind that no one make a Stereo L/R IR Emitters so you have use a Stereo to L/R Mono adapter with pair of IR Emitters if plan to use address zone.
Sorry, I have no idea what you just said

Can you translate into idiot-speak for me
Old 04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

allow me....you cant get the suggested plug that plugs in to the back of the USBUIRT so you will need to either buy the suggested plug from radio shack and then solder or *cough* electrical tape *cough* it to the packaged emiter that you might buy from the site that SHS listed....

Did I complicate it worse??

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Sorry, I have no idea what you just said

Can you translate into idiot-speak for me

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Sage User

Not trying to thread jack here, but would this setup work for a Dish network 301 receiver as well?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by flagg0204
Not trying to thread jack here, but would this setup work for a Dish network 301 receiver as well?
You can use a serial cable to control that unit, as I understand it... you won't need the USBUIRT
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Sage User

Dish network box's dont have serial interfaces The only way to use sage is with usb-uirt
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
allow me....you cant get the suggested plug that plugs in to the back of the USBUIRT so you will need to either buy the suggested plug from radio shack and then solder or *cough* electrical tape *cough* it to the packaged emiter that you might buy from the site that SHS listed....

Did I complicate it worse??

I.
I am still confused...

There is a 1/8" plug on the USBUIRT device for an IR emitter.

There are IR Emitters that use a 1/8" plug I can find on the internet (like on that website mentioned).

So can't I just plug in that emitter into the USBUIRT, attach the emitter to my cable box, and be done with it?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I am still confused...

There is a 1/8" plug on the USBUIRT device for an IR emitter.

There are IR Emitters that use a 1/8" plug I can find on the internet (like on that website mentioned).

So can't I just plug in that emitter into the USBUIRT, attach the emitter to my cable box, and be done with it?

Thanks!
Short Answer:

Yes.

Long Answer:

The 1/8" port on the USB UIRT supports 2 independant IR emitters that via the USB UIRT software you can send a ir blast to only one of the emitters. This feature is geared toward people like me who have multiple identical cable boxes which we want to change channels on independantly. All the IR emitters listed on the site above only has a mono plug which will send the same ir message to both emitters on a dual.

Hope this helps.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Sage User

Talking

Head's up, Herc: You don't necessarily need an IR emitter - the USB-UIRT has one built in (as well as an IR receiver for your remotes, and a separate IR receiver that's only used during "learning")

I've got my USB-UIRT velcroed to the top of my Dish Network box, right above its IR window. This is all behind the clear glass door of my entertainment center, and it never fails to change the channel on the dish box UNLESS the door is open all the way (hardly ever...) It's bouncing off the glass back to the Dish box...

-Ren
Old 04-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Sage Icon

true dat

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by RenHoek
Head's up, Herc: You don't necessarily need an IR emitter - the USB-UIRT has one built in (as well as an IR receiver for your remotes, and a separate IR receiver that's only used during "learning")

I've got my USB-UIRT velcroed to the top of my Dish Network box, right above its IR window. This is all behind the clear glass door of my entertainment center, and it never fails to change the channel on the dish box UNLESS the door is open all the way (hardly ever...) It's bouncing off the glass back to the Dish box...

-Ren
I'll have to give that a shot, thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by RenHoek

-Ren
That also answers my question Which model of Dish box do you have?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Actually... I don't have any glass in front of my cable box. It just sits out in the open, so how would this work out for me ?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

Got semi-gloss paint?

Quote:
Actually... I don't have any glass in front of my cable box. It just sits out in the open, so how would this work out for me ?

My sage rigs:
Old 04-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
Got semi-gloss paint?
And where do I paint ?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Couple of quick answers:

You can hook up an IR emitter to the 1/8" jack of the USB UIRT. I do.
Second, the IR blasting by the USB UIRT is very effective. I am able to control all components, save one, by bouncing the signal off the opposite wall. No glossy paint involved.

My ceiling mounted projector does not get the signal, so that is what I use an additional emitter for.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ralph, where did you get the IR Emitter from? I am looking online now