SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Sage User

HD200 Slow Navigation

I'm having a weird issue with the HD200 and am wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. I just bought 3 HD200's and they are all working great and connect to the server with no issues. I have tried all thee in my family room and they work fine but when I bring either of them up to my bedroom, the navigation of the remote is very sluggish. I have tried different remotes, programed my Harmony as well and still the same issue. I have tested the Network connection and it has tested 100% error free. The navigation is sluggish even without a network connect and just navigating through the configuration menu. Again, all of this issue does not occur when the unit is in my family room.

I suspect that I am having some sort of interference that is affecting the infrared signals going to the box but I can't seem to figure out what it is. I've also tried placing the remote about 5 inches from the unit and still the same issue.

All other devices funtion without any issues in that room with their infrared remotes so I am not sure what the difference is with the HD200.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Most likely a networking issue. We need to know more about your setup. Wireless/wired, routers, switches, etc. What firmware is runnign on the HD200s?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a wired configuration connected to a 24 port d-link gig switch in the basement. I have tested the network cabling with a tester and it has passed all tests. I have tried a different port in the switch as well.

I just received the boxes yesterday so I connected them and updated to the latest firmware available via the online download. I have also disconnected the network cable and used the HD200 without network just to see how the navigation feelsin the initial configuraiton menu and the result is still the same so I suspect it is not a network related issue.

In the bedroom, the box is connected to a 40" LCD via HDMI. The boxes also work flawlessly when streaming live HD video as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

Others here are more conversant in cabling than I am, but I think that the testers only identify major issues (swapped wires, etc), not small issues that may subtly interfere with signal transmission.

Is the bedroom cabling homemade or store-bought? Can you run a temp Cat 5/6 wire from your server to the bedroom for testing?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply matt91. I'm a network engineer and did the cabling myself in the entire house. There is no indication that the cabling or port has any issues but stranger things have happened .

I'll do a test with a direct run from the server or another room and see what happens.

As I also mentioned before, I tested the box off the network and the navigation is also slow in that room (very weird).
Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

Have you removed the other extenders from the network when you are testing in the bedroom? Perhaps it is the combination of two extenders that is slowing it down. I realize it is a long shot, but something to consider.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Sage User

OK. I've found the cause of the issue. I disconnected the box from my tv and hooked it up to a monitor and the navigation became fast again. It seems like the TV is emitting something that is interfering with the the IR reception of the extender. As long as the TV is on, I get sporadic IR response but as soon as I turn the TV off, the response is perfect again.

My TV is a 40" Samsung 610 LCD TV.

Has anyone ever seen this issue?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Wow, gotta be honest with you that might be a first that I have seen on these forums!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Sage User

This is the first that I have seen a problem like this as well but it seems as though it's a common problem with some brands of LCD TV's that use LED backlighting. The fix for it in my case was to put a small piece of white printer paper over the IR window on the HD200 to filter out the unwanted IR emissions coming from the TV. All is good now and I can finally get my wife off my back.....lol

Here is a link to some more information so that you guys are aware of the potential problem

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7596_102...rum-w;forums06

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledfoot View Post
This is the first that I have seen a problem like this as well but it seems as though it's a common problem with some brands of LCD TV's that use LED backlighting. The fix for it in my case was to put a small piece of white printer paper over the IR window on the HD200 to filter out the unwanted IR emissions coming from the TV. All is good now and I can finally get my wife off my back.....lol.
If you ever plan on having children I'd make sure you wear lead underwear while watching that TV.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Sage User

LOL.....
Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Sage User

I am noticing a similar issue. I press a button on the remote while in stand alone mode and the menu has a moderate delayed action (2-3 sec). Could this be the result of having a 1TB hard drive connected? Also do people defrag these hard drives, and if so how - do you attach to a computer to do this? I was thinking it had to do with the hard drive. When in extender mode, this does not seem to be an issue and FF and RW are much quicker. Running Core 2 Duo for server and Cat 5 to the Server.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, I have a fluorescent light that can dim and if I have it on a low setting, my remote is unusable. Half to full power is no problem, but once I get below 50% power, the extender will get more and more unresponsive the lower it gets.