SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Use SageTV and BeyondTV together?

Hi all...

Has anyone tried or does anyone know if it is possible, in a multi-tuner system, to use Sage and BeyondTV concurrently?

I have a 3 tuner system, and I'm thinking I may try deleting one from Sage to dedicate to BeyondTV for the purpose of remote (web) scheduling...

I would hope to use Sage for the front end, leaving BeyondTV always in the taskbar, doing nothing but recording on it's schedule. I would import BeyondTV's recordings' directory into SageTV...

Does this seem reasonable? Has anyone tried this?

I'm using SageTV 2.0 Beta .15

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Possibly, but why would you want to?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Sage Expert

For remote web scheduling which is not offered in SageTv
Old 04-09-2004, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

get windows XP Pro and remote desktop can do it
also there are other programs other than supporting that..........
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
VNC is free and works with any OS. You can remote schedule via that.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by TunaBoo
VNC is free and works with any OS. You can remote schedule via that.
You know what though, he's right.. VNC and RDP are poor substitutes for a feature that should already be built in. There's absolutely no reason why a webserver shouldn't be built in to handle calls into the software.

As far as that goes, it would open up all kinds of ways to import data (if properly implemented) into the database, and allow for modifications to the database via the web portal.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 04-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Actually BeyondTV is even more elegant than that. You just need a web browser and it does not recquire opeing any ports on the PC for external connection since BeyondTV connects to its server periodically to check for new programs to record.

I considered this for a while, but realized that I do really need this feature. A webserver would be nice but not really as elegant as the BeyondTV scheduling.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 04-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Re: Use SageTV and BeyondTV together?

Quote:
Originally posted by gotuitdan
Hi all...

Has anyone tried or does anyone know if it is possible, in a multi-tuner system, to use Sage and BeyondTV concurrently?
i am happily using both BeyondTV 3.5 and SageTV 2.0.15 without problems. Just make sure the tuners are different for each one.

-Brett
Old 04-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
Not everyone asks for the feature. Myself, I schedule stuff ahead of time. Not to mention I use remote desktop the entire time I am at work, so if I really wanted to be lazy and schedule, I could.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Sage Icon

I never use the remote scheduling in BTV, and wouldn't use it in Sage.

My favorites account for 99.9% of what I record. The other 0.1% I can do while at home (or via VNC), especially since I only do manual recordings maybe a couple times a year total...

So, you're right. Not EVERYONE needs (or wants) this feature.

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by TunaBoo
Not everyone asks for the feature. Myself, I schedule stuff ahead of time. Not to mention I use remote desktop the entire time I am at work, so if I really wanted to be lazy and schedule, I could.

Last edited by JasonJoel; 04-11-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not every one in US or Canada where EPG is implemented need it but in Europe, it we have to use XMLTV and the programs are not always accurate. So it should be great to have that feature.
With Beyond TV we can schedule from every where and if you forgot the schedule a show when you are far from home... it's very usefull!

Ferdinand
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would like to do the same thing but for a different reason. My kids computers are too slow to play the MPG files that Sage creates. but they are fast enough to play WMV files at the VHS quality in BTV just fine. Wonder if BTV could re-compress the files that Sage records so the kids could watch them..

Randy