SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage Expert

What is the current status of the Media MVP and sagetv?

Thinking of putting a TV out in the garage and been looking at some of the media mvp's on ebay. I remember someone had setup an extender through the sagetv server.

I see sage is selling extender licenses now, if I purchase a MVP will I have to purhcase a MVP license? My server is basically headless and I never view files through it.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

The MVP works great. I still use one in a guest bedroom. If you buy the hardware through eBay you will still need to buy a license for it through Sage.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The MVP works great. I still use one in a guest bedroom. If you buy the hardware through eBay you will still need to buy a license for it through Sage.
so the server license that I own but don't use can't be used as an extender?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Correct.

If you are a "the glass is half full" guy: You paid for a server license and got a free "local" client license that you may or may not ever use.

If you are a "the glass is half empty" guy: You paid for a server license and a user interface license and you can only use the user interface on the same machine as the server.

You pick

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage Icon

remember that the same license that applies for the MVP also applies for placeshifter, HD100, and HD200.

if you already have one of the above, you can use the MVP for free (as long as you don't use two at once)
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

Actually the HD200 doesn't need any form of license if you're using SageTV version 6.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

If your server happens to be running WHS then it comes with an extender/placeshifter license.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

The HD-200 is far superior to the MVP, both in video and audio quality. The HD-200 can be used for SD and HD TVs. The MVP will require more CPU processing power when you watch programs that are not recorded in mpeg2 format. The reason is the computer has to transcode the video file into mpeg2 on the fly. If the CPU is too weak, you will experience video stuttering. The HD-200 plays various video formats without transcoding. The HD-200 is also more reliable. The HD-200 is a bit more expensive than a used MVP and a MVP license, but it is worth the extra cost.

Dave