SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Mac vs PC

I know there is a ton of information on this on the web. I am curious to hear your opinions on the matter regardless.

Is a mac better than pc?
Is a mac worth the extra money?
What are the technical differences that make them different/better?

Any additional information would be helpful.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Short answer, no, mac is not worth the extra money imo. And, you keep on paying more every time you buy a program.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Sage Icon

Since they both now run on the same basic hardware it would be stability and user interface that would be the differentiators. It is possible to install the Mac OS on most PCs and give it a test drive. Everything may not work perfectly but you could decide for yourself if the interface is for you.

I tried this awhile back to see if maybe a Mac mini was in my future but I was not all that impressed. Compared to Window7 there was just not anything to differentiate it. It was not bad but nothing that seemed all that better than Windows7. Considering that I would really need all new software for it it was a relatively easy decision for me.

The hardware is really overpriced relative to PCs. You are paying for the design. If you find something special in one that you particularly like then it might be worth it but I found the Mac Mini was the only thing that probably delivered better value than a PC. I even considered getting one and setting it up to dual boot.

In the end I decided to wait and see how the new crop of Atom based machines drives the market. I am really expecting to see a whole different approach to PC design at the low end. If an Ion system can do HD playback then just about any Atom based system can surf the web and basic word processing. An Atom based PC can really become a appliance that gets attached to every screen in the house. My house is really like that now but they are just larger, louder and use more power.

Last edited by SWKerr; 10-16-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Sage Icon

For SageTV, definitely get a Windows computer just because it seems more stable and supported in terms of tuners, plugins and customizations.

For general purpose PC, you can't beat the price of a low end PC. Apple don't make low end products, at least not until they release a sub $500 computer. The Mac mini is their cheapest computer and it's still $600 bare bone.

I'm a Windows user myself since the days of Windows 3.11. But last year I bought a Macbook Pro laptop. It was $2200 but it was what I wanted, a quality laptop. From a quality standpoint, it's hard to beat Apple products. So if you want mid to highend computers and don't mind paying a little more, then a Mac is for you. Otherwise, get a Dell or HP running WIndows 7 and save yourself some money.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
It was $2200 but it was what I wanted, a quality laptop. From a quality standpoint, it's hard to beat Apple products. So if you want mid to highend computers and don't mind paying a little more, then a Mac is for you. Otherwise, get a Dell or HP running WIndows 7 and save yourself some money.
Would that macbook be better than a comparably priced windows PC in terms or performance/stability etc?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

Another thing I don't like about macs is the lack of 'repairability'. My son's iMac had the hard drive go bad. Really hard to replace it on your own, so several days at the Mac store. With any of my PCs, desktop or notebook, I now preventively 'clone' the drive every couple of years. Doesn't take very long, under $100 parts cost, and I usually get expanded hard drive capacity.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I tried this awhile back to see if maybe a Mac mini was in my future but I was not all that impressed. Compared to Window7 there was just not anything to differentiate it. It was not bad but nothing that seemed all that better than Windows7. Considering that I would really need all new software for it it was a relatively easy decision for me.
Yeah, I did the same thing a little while back (though I used a VM ). FWIW, I don't really "like" Windows. If everything else were equal I'd run Linux or OSX no question (probably OSX becuase it's more finished).

Problem for me is and what keeps me with windows is I suppose largely inertia. Aside form Firefox and Thunderbird, almost all the programs I use at all really Windows only. And from what I've been able to find, there really aren't terribly "similar" (I won't say good) alternatives.

For me what it comes down to is while I don't "like" Windows, and while I'd prefer to run a different OS, it's just that it's an OS. The OS isn't what I use, it's the apps that run on that OS, and the hardware it supports that are important IMO. And for me, that means Windows.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is not a Mac or Windows is better thing. It's just my probably unintelligible thoughts comparing the two. They both have there good and bad. Some people love or hate them. I just found that I like Windows better for what I do, and because I have used Windows since it first came out I feel more comfortable with how things are done. Had I used a Mac since day one I may feel different, and may know how to easily solve some of the issues I had with my little Mac.

I have an Intel MacMini sitting on my shelf collecting dust right now. I like the Apple hardware but after 6 months of using it I found myself constantly wanting, or needing a program that was Windows only. The Mac counterpart, if there was one was sometimes as good, sometimes even better, but not usually unless it started life as a Mac program.
It may be just a case of using a Windows computer for so long that I am set in my ways, but I really tried to give the Mac a chance and it still ended up on my shelf.
I used both BootCamp, and Parallels to run Windows on the Mac and was not happy with either of those options. Running BootCamp the Mac would take forever to restart, or just initially boot. Using Parallels was an exercise in watching grass grow. Neither OS ran well when they were both running.
Try using a Mac for a Sage server. Not many tuners out there. Try using a Mac as a Sage Client and you will find it does not work as well as the Windows client. I also never figured out how to get the Mac to do AC3 passthrough so the little Dolby Digital indicator on my receiver would come on. With Windows 7, and AC3 Filter it was simple. I really expected the Mac to be able to do video, home entertainment stuff better.
This may just be personal preference but for me OS X (Snow Leopard) just felt dated in comparison to Windows 7. And I always felt like I had to do twice the steps in OS X to get to the same place in Windows. The Finder in OS X about drove me nuts.
The hardware itself I really like. The MacMini is tiny, and really quiet. I used it with dual monitors. Installing software on a Mac is simple, removing it is just as simple.
For me, and the goofing around I like to do the Mac just made it hard. I have since built a small Mini-Itx system running Windows 7 and though it is not as small, or quiet... It just feels more comfortable to me. My Sage server is a WHS system that just does like the Energizer Bunny. Keeps going, and going...

I like my Mac.. I will probably set it up somewhere and keep playing. But it has lost it's job as my main machine.. For now
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

What reasons contribute to mac people’s insistence that it is a superior product in every way… Are macs really safe as they say? No virus’ malware and such…
Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
Would that macbook be better than a comparably priced windows PC in terms or performance/stability etc?
Probably not. Even if it is better, it is not by much. What I bought the MacBook pro for was the quality and design. I wanted a performance laptop that is slim and not the bulkiness of most Dell or HP laptops. There other features, for example, the back lit keyboard is one feature you will unlikely find on other laptops. The multitouch trackpad is another unique feature. There are other laptops with multitouch, but very poorly implemented that is almost unsuable. The MagSafe plug is another great feature, along with ability to boot into windows with bootcamp. At the time I bought it, the MacBook pro was the best choice for what I wanted.

When debating between mac vs pc, it comes down to three things:

-Price
-Hardware (quality and design, supported hardware such as printers and devices)
-Softwares (windows vs OSX, software availability such as games.

So you need to evaluate those three thinggs and see what best suits you.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 10-17-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I recently picked up an entry level Macbook Pro (13" w/ 2.26ghz core2duo) and have round the quality amazing compared to my dell and lenovo laptops. The all aluminum uni-body design makes for a super sturdy laptop that I feel like I could drop and still have a working laptop (exaggeration). Obviously I could have gotten a lot more laptop if I went PC for $1100 (but I did get a free iPod Touch with mine so that did help ease the pain), but I do not feel like the build quality would be on par with the Macbook. PC's are made to compete on price and not quality. The battery life is also what sold me..... 7 hours is amazing for a full size laptop. I've even thought about picking up another Macbook Pro for my wife and just installing Windows 7 on it (since she won't touch OSX) just because I like the build quality of my Macbook Pro (I probably won't, but I have considered it).

I have to say that I love running Virtual Box on my Macbook Pro (with Windows 7) so that I don't have to buy all Mac versions of my software now (and can slowly do so over time). I've also got Ubuntu, Windows XP and FreeBSD installed in virtual box. If Apple comes out with a Quad Core MacBook Pro, I will be first in line to upgrade.

As far as the OSX vs Windows 7 debate, both do what they are supposed to. I actually like both. I run both. OSX is a bit more polished in my opinion but they both have their strengths (like Windows 7 I can just about any piece of hard ware, but OSX isn't as virus prone mostly due to only having like 7% share of the PC market). Maybe as I get more comfortable with OSX I will change my opinion, but for now thats where I am.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Sage Icon

This one is difficult for me. I'm going to have to put aside my hatred for all things Mac and attempt to give an honest assessment.

Macs friggin' suck! They are overpriced, overblown simpleminded uh, errr, umm ... Ahem,

OK, as I was saying, for the average home user they are a viable choice if by average home user you mean one with money to blow on overdesigned eye candy, I mean really ... oops. Did it again. Sorry.

I just can't do it. Macs suck.

S
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
SageTVaholic

well, while I won't go as far as to say macs suck, I will certainly say they aren't worth the money. For what you gain (which I don't really think is.. well. anything), you would be far better off buying pretty much ANY other brand. The thing is, to me, as far as notebooks go, they certainly are smaller and lighter... however, they also offer less performance and much higher cost. I guess if I was the type to tote the thing everywhere with me, the size and weight might matter... but if I'm the type to be lugging a laptop everywhere, I'd probably want one that didn't cost so much.

For the cost of that $2200 macbook pro, you can get a VERY impressive laptop from the likes of alienware or such... something that, sure, is bigger and heavier, but when you are using it... well.. it's amazing..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Sage Icon

I hope you all get that I'm just joking... kinda

I really think Macs are just fine as a personal computer for a home user as long as you don't mind spending more money than you would an equivalent Windows PC.

I don't personally care for the MacOS and I really do like Windows but my real beef with Macs comes from years of battle trying to get them to fit properly into an enterprise network. They just don't work well in that environment. But for the purposes of this thread they're OK.

S
Old 10-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Sage Icon

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a mac fanatic. He told me that Microsoft programmers are using macs. Is there any truth to that?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a mac fanatic. He told me that Microsoft programmers are using macs. Is there any truth to that?
It would make sense that some MS programmers are using macs, since they have an entire Mac development group dedicated to writing applications for the mac, specifically, office applications (word, excel, etc)

Keep in mind, you are asking a primarily Windows club if macs are ok. You are going to get a very large bias towards windows. You'd get similar results if you asked a mac forum if windows sucked... and you'd get lots of responses about viruses, malware, complications, etc.

I'm not a windows or mac user, but for some reason, I get called by my mac and windows friends for support. They both suck. Why, because I'm not a windows or mac user, so when I use them, I find them both unbearably frustrating to use.

If you are thinking of jumping ship to another OS (whether it's mac, windows, or linux), then do some homework on the apps that you think are valuable to you. If you find that your apps exist on the other OS, then make the jump. If your apps don't exist, then try some alternatives. For example, my knds don't have a clue what microsoft office is. When they need to write a write a report they just fire up OpenOffice (free alternative to MS office) and when the talk to people they make reference to OpenOffice. Open office can be run under windows, mac or linux, so if you give it whirl in windows, you;ll know, for the most part, how it work on the mac. I use open office as just one example, the same is true for firefox, and other applications. I tend try and use only free and open software (there are exceptions), and when i moved my kids computer from Ubuntu to Windows, they didn't even miss a beat, because all their standard apps were still there, and I didn't have to repurchase licenses, etc. (btw, i moved from ubuntu to windows on one computer because of games)

So, if you have the money, and you are fairly confident that your applications will work, the make the jump. I doubt you'll be sorry that you left windows behind.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Although I left Microsoft in late 2003, I do still have friends that are devs there, and your friend is completely full of it!

Excepting the devs for Mac/Office, I've yet to seen any developers on Apple hardware there.

Fwiw, I've "heard that the Apple devs use Microsoft dev tools to code for the Mac" - just kidding, but makes about as much sense as the other way around.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 10-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
Although I left Microsoft in late 2003, I do still have friends that are devs there, and your friend is completely full of it!

Excepting the devs for Mac/Office, I've yet to seen any developers on Apple hardware there.

Fwiw, I've "heard that the Apple devs use Microsoft dev tools to code for the Mac" - just kidding, but makes about as much sense as the other way around.

-PGPfan
I disagree, there is some truth to it. I think the Xbox360 development team uses the old G5 Macs to develop for the Xbox360 since they share the same processors from IBM and the same graphics card from ATI. Here are some pics of the dev kit.
And pics of the Mac G5s running Xbox 360 games.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For the cost of that $2200 macbook pro, you can get a VERY impressive laptop from the likes of alienware or such... something that, sure, is bigger and heavier, but when you are using it... well.. it's amazing..
Sure if you want a giant ALIEN head on your NEON GREEN laptop.

If you are willing to spend money on an Alienware, then a Mac is not out of our price range. It is all about preference at that point, which you would prefer, the designs of a mac or the Alienware.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Looking at the latest Dell Z600 laptop really surpasses the Apple notebook features. And it costs slightly less than that $2,200 macbook pro.

Dell Z600

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.