SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Sage Icon

Sage server on Win 7

Am I correct that Sage Server isn't supported on Win 7 (Vista)? And as a Windows Service?

Would "old" (!) Hauppauge USB2 or PCI bus Standard Def tuners have drivers for and work in Win 7?

I have this setup now for XP. Looking ahead.

The Sage Client seems to run OK in Win 7.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 AM
SageTVaholic

There are many people (myself included) running servers and clients on win7. I have no problem using my Hauppauge PVR-500 on my machine. For each tuner you'd have to check the manufacturers driver availability, but pretty much if they offer a Vista driver, it will probably work fine in Win7. They also do list vista support on the site for the USB2.

In all honesty, you won't really gain much going to win7 for JUST a server, but on the client front (or combo server/client) I feel 7 is far superior.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Supported fine

I'm running on a Vista x64 machine fine. the only catch is that you need to use special drivers for the PVR-500 (PCI bus) which someone posted a link to somewhere in this conference else you won't get a clean TV picture.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks.
I failed to see this on the sage product website

"For SageTV Media Center for Windows - PC Operating System: Microsoft ...., or Vista ".
So I guess Vista's drivers are fully Win 7 compatible?

Interest in Win 7 is that relatively soon Micro$oft will stop doing security fixes for XP, as I understand. Until that's imminent, I will stay with XP for the 24/7 server in the garage. I have two Hauppauge USB2 tuners and one PCI bus Hauppauge. (No HD).

Win 7 in general: Try as I might, I can't go to desktop Linux due to the MS Office stranglehold. OpenOffice still doesn't work for non-trivial word and power point documents as I use in my job. Win 7 on the Intel Atom is amazing, for the price. Glad I don't work for Intel or AMD as these kind of chips will slash their revenue to the bone (in CPUs).

Last edited by stevech; 10-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.