SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Sage User

HTPC n00b: Dual HD-PVR hard drive requirements, and other questions

Hi all,

I have Charter digital cable, and a Moxi DVR (supplied by them). I've been getting fed up with issues with the Moxi, and would also like some features it doesn't provide (like auto suggestions, and auto recording by keyword).

So I've decided to jump in to a HTPC. I got a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and put it in my desktop PC to play around with, with the trial download of SageTV. I like the SageTV interface (especially with SageMC) and features. I don't like that the 1600 can only get most of the HD channels via SVideo from the STB.

So I think I'm going to return the 1600 and get an HD-PVR.

Now, the Moxi I'm currently using has dual tuners, but I figured it's pretty rare that I ever have it record two things at once. However, I just looked at my scheduled-to-record list, and half the stuff on there is stuff it's recording two at a time. I don't have many shows set to record, but apparently everything I do like is broadcast at the same time.

This means, if I go the HD-PVR route, I'm going to need two HD-PVRs (around $400) and two STBs ($20/mo). Ouch.

If I do this, how fast will the hard drive need to be to record HD content from two HD-PVRs? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of here?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
Now, the Moxi I'm currently using has dual tuners, but I figured it's pretty rare that I ever have it record two things at once. However, I just looked at my scheduled-to-record list, and half the stuff on there is stuff it's recording two at a time. I don't have many shows set to record, but apparently everything I do like is broadcast at the same time.
It's possible that your current system is doubling up recordings just because it can. Cable channels typically broadcast each program multiple times so it may be possible for Sage to resolve most recording conflicts by postponing some recordings to a later broadcast. My advice would be to try it with your 1600 and see how many conflicts you get. If it turns out the conflicts are all on local broadcast channels, you may be able to resolve those with the addition of one or more OTA/QAM digital tuners, without requiring additional STBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
If I do this, how fast will the hard drive need to be to record HD content from two HD-PVRs?
Disk transfer rates are about 20-30 times faster than typical HDTV bitrates. Multiple HD capture devices shouldn't pose a problem from that standpoint.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
It's possible that your current system is doubling up recordings just because it can. Cable channels typically broadcast each program multiple times so it may be possible for Sage to resolve most recording conflicts by postponing some recordings to a later broadcast. My advice would be to try it with your 1600 and see how many conflicts you get. If it turns out the conflicts are all on local broadcast channels, you may be able to resolve those with the addition of one or more OTA/QAM digital tuners, without requiring additional STBs.
Good point. Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

Also keep in mind that initially the SageTV may be recording quite a number of shows if you choose the "First Run and Rerun" options on a favorite. That is because Sage will try and record every show once and hasn't previously recorded any of them - even though you might have watched the previously on the Moxi. Once you get through this initial flood of previously unrecorded shows being recorded (which can take weeks/months sometimes) the recording rate does seem to drop. At least in my experience.

I only have 1 HD-PVR and a HDHR. I use the HD-PVR to record my HD satellite shows, and the HDHR to record my local HD stations/networks. There are certainly a few shows that I miss due to only having 1 tuner on the satellite, but it isn't bad. Just make sure you keep your favorites in order from most important to least important. That way if you do miss a show, it is farther down the list of importance.

But GKusnick is correct - most shows are repeated many times on cable/satellite and Sage is smart enough to record as many of them as possible given the current line up.

For example, if two shows play at the same time (show A and B), and A is higher on the priority list than B, Sage might still record show B first if show A is playing at a later time and can be recorded then.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage User

Yeah, it's good to know that Sage is smart enough to defer conflicted favorites if there's a later showing of the same episode.

I added all the favorites I was concerned about to SageTV (I'm doing first-run only), and only one conflict came up: The Office (NBC) and Fringe (FOX), both of which I believe I can get via the QAM tuner in the 1600. So I may just need to keep the 1600 in addition to getting the HD-PVR.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

Definitely keep the 1600. That way you'll be able to record you local networks and have more than 1 tuner recording them. This is exactly what I do and it seems to work great.

If I only had the HD-PVR then I would definitely miss a lot of network shows that I want to record that are on at the same time (like The Office and Fringe) because the networks rarely repeat an episode during the normal season. With two tuners recording just the networks, it allows my HD-PVR to record just the other cable/sat only channels. But those channels are the ones notorious for showing the same show 20 times, so it all seems to work out
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all