SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage User

n00b Questions

Will be using SageTV to record HD using an R5000-HD.

My mobo supposedly does hardware decoding of mpeg2 and h.264, so do I need any additional HD codecs? Will Sage hook into hardware automatically?

Why does Sage refuse to set 4 digit channels? It seemed to scan in all my Dish channels properly, but it refuses to accept a 4 digit channel. I modified Sage.preference channel digits to 4, but when I ran Sage it set it back to 0.

How do I set Sage up for my Dish ViP211, which gets only Dish HD channels, plus OTA HD locals through its internal decoder? The OTAs show up in the regular 211 program guide in yellow, but with no Guide info. If I set Sage for the Dish Seattle package, I'm sure it will bring in regular HD channels (4, 5, 7, etc), instead of DTV channels (4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, etc) So what's the best way?

Last edited by quantumstate; 11-08-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post
Will be using SageTV to record HD using an R5000-HD.

My mobo supposedly does hardware decoding of mpeg2 and h.264, so do I need any additional HD codecs? Will Sage hook into hardware automatically?
You'll probably need Cyberlink or other DXVA codecs, the ones bundled with Sage don't do H.264 DXVA.

Quote:
Why does Sage refuse to set 4 digit channels? It seemed to scan in all my Dish channels properly, but it refuses to accept a 4 digit channel. I modified Sage.preference channel digits to 4, but when I ran Sage it set it back to 0.
That's odd, mine tunes HD channels just fine, I didn't do anything special.

Quote:
How do I set Sage up for my Dish ViP211, which gets only Dish HD channels, plus OTA HD locals through its internal decoder? The OTAs show up in the regular 211 program guide in yellow, but with no Guide info. If I set Sage for the Dish Seattle package, I'm sure it will bring in regular HD channels (4, 5, 7, etc), instead of DTV channels (4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, etc) So what's the best way?
I'd just get a separate ATSC tuner, it will allow you to record locals and Dish channels simultaneously, and will also record locals in "perfect" quality, no re-encoding like you'll get if you use the dish box.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

?

Do you mean when you type in the channel number, it won't accept 4 digits? If that is the case, there is a setting in the Detailed Settings, under Advanced (I believe) that you can set Sage to accept 4 channel input rather than 3. I had to do this in order to directly tune those HD channels. I had no problems tuning a channel with Sage by selecting an HD channel in the guide even with this setting still set to 3.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Sage User

Ya, choosing a 4 digit channel in the guide works fine, but when I type it in, it simply only accepts 3 digits. I had set that Advanced setting to 4 digits, but maybe it didn't stick. I'll check.

Meanwhile, I was watching live TV last night and when it was time for bed I found I couldn't stop live recording! Hit the Stop button, and right-click to go back to Main Menu, and it seems live recording starts again. Afraid it will fill up my disk with useless stuff over time. I do have the Guide set to show video all the time. But how to stop when it's time to retire? Is there a way to set a separate Live saving directory?

On my above question, do not want a separate ATSC tuner, as it takes an extra slot, is extra expense, and costs more for HD. I have HD ATSC in the Dish. Maybe the solution is to set up Dish channels nationwide, and OTA local channels. But can I set Sage to look for OTA channels in the Dish box? If so, will I get guide info this way?

Also, I'd like to set up my Dish remote to control my HTPC through infrared, which is on USB in the HTPC. Can anyone get me started setting this up in Sage?

Enjoyed the Dilbert cartoons last night...

Last edited by quantumstate; 11-09-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Meanwhile, I was watching live TV last night and when it was time for bed I found I couldn't stop live recording! Hit the Stop button, and right-click to go back to Main Menu, and it seems live recording starts again. Afraid it will fill up my disk with useless stuff over time. I do have the Guide set to show video all the time. But how to stop when it's time to retire? Is there a way to set a separate Live saving directory?
What are your video menu options set to?

Quote:
On my above question, do not want a separate ATSC tuner, as it takes an extra slot,
Not if it's an HDHomerun.

Quote:
is extra expense,
True, but it adds a lot of value IMO. Being able to record something on your locals while watching or recordings something else over satellite.

Quote:
and costs more for HD.
More than what?

Quote:
I have HD ATSC in the Dish. Maybe the solution is to set up Dish channels nationwide, and OTA local channels. But can I set Sage to look for OTA channels in the Dish box? If so, will I get guide info this way?
The big problem is I'm not sure how to get Sage to send the 5 digits necessary to tune locals (eg 00021 to tune 2.1). I don't think you can setup a second guide on the same tuner.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
What are your video menu options set to?
Hm, I don't understand the question. When I right-click the mouse while watching live, I get choices to go to the main menu, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The big problem is I'm not sure how to get Sage to send the 5 digits necessary to tune locals (eg 00021 to tune 2.1). I don't think you can setup a second guide on the same tuner.
Ugh. Surely there's a way.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hm, I don't understand the question. When I right-click the mouse while watching live, I get choices to go to the main menu, etc.
Bring up the options menu when you're on the guide or something. Make sure it's not set to display video "Always".
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

You can stop a manual recording by pressing record again. I know it's strange, but it is a toggle.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Sage User

OK, was set to Always.

Another thing I don't understand: It's saving the files as .mpg, but it's getting in pure transport stream from the R5000. I don't want any transcoding to go on... is there?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, was set to Always.

Another thing I don't understand: It's saving the files as .mpg, but it's getting in pure transport stream from the R5000. I don't want any transcoding to go on... is there?

The R5000 mod records exactly as it comes thru. You just happen to hook into an mpeg stream for that. As for your second question, please see the second post in this thread. It states what you will need to do for codecs to handle h.264. No Sage will not play them w/ hardware accelleration as the Sage codecs do not have this functionality. You also can read up on any of the many HDPVR threads as it records everything in h.264.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Sage User

I see. Keep in mind that I've run Debian exclusively for eleven years, and am forced to Winduhs now due to the R5000.

So once I do get a codec installed (MPC-HC?), how do I tell Sage about it? In setup you can set codecs, but do I set it to DirectShow? Or what? Doesn't VLC have DXVA? I read somewhere that there's an open-source DXVA codec, but can't remember more.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I see. Keep in mind that I've run Debian exclusively for eleven years, and am forced to Winduhs now due to the R5000.

So once I do get a codec installed (MPC-HC?), how do I tell Sage about it? In setup you can set codecs, but do I set it to DirectShow? Or what? Doesn't VLC have DXVA? I read somewhere that there's an open-source DXVA codec, but can't remember more.
MPC-HC is not a codec. It has codecs built-in and uses it own. What you want to install is a commercial video decoder like Cyberlink PowerDVD 8, Total Media Extreme from Arcsoft or any other decoder that uses DirectShow filters. These will automatically shopw up in Sage after restarting.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage User

I'm reading that Cyberlink's has lower video quality, and that Coreavc's has great quality but is software only.

And sure, MPC-HC is an app, but apparently it comes with a codec that actually does DXVA... apparently the only one besides PDVD.

I am running about 22% CPU right now on a core2dual 3GHz for 720p HD, and I gather that with HA that would be 1%-5%. So it's not bad now and I'm not willing to pay for a codec, especially as I'm inured to open source. Pissed-off enough that OpenSSH does not work in the Winduhs environment. (only Cygwin)

I'll try MPC-HC, but it's a shame that nVidia hollers about H.264 HA when that's very difficult and complex to actually achieve, and is beyond the technical reach of 90% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
These will automatically shopw up in Sage after restarting.
Show up as what? Their specific codec, or under the DirectShow umbrella?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

But you can't use MPC-HC codecs outside of the player. So for Sage it doesn you no good. Unless you just want to compare quality. nVidia is a mpeg2 decoder.

Quality ends up being in the eye of the beholder. Cyberlink looks better than Arcsoft (a little soft) and performs better than Arcsoft and CoreAVC.

Quote:
Show up as what? Their specific codec, or under the DirectShow umbrella?
As their specific codec. If you installed Cyberlink or Arcsoft they show up in the list of decoders available to choose in SageTV. (You're not going to see anything in Sage for MPC-HC)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Sage User

Meh? MPC-HC lets you dl just the codecs, which implies that they work for more than just that player. Then again, Winduhs is not known for flexibility.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes it does appear they broke out the codecs in standalone download. But no guarantee once you get them registered on your PC your app can actually use them. The H.264 decoder being MPCVideoDec. Place MPCVideoDec.ax in the System32 folder and register it using regsvr32 MPCVideoDec.ax. Then the filter that will be used by default is the one with the highest Merit Value. For Sage you would need to get the DirectShow friendly name and put in in the .properties file where you see videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=

Gerry
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Ya, choosing a 4 digit channel in the guide works fine, but when I type it in, it simply only accepts 3 digits. I had set that Advanced setting to 4 digits, but maybe it didn't stick. I'll check.
I've had the same problem for a month or so now. Never got an answer or found a solution. Ended up remapping the one channel in that range that gets used a lot down to a lower channel. Pain in the ...

And trying to set the option in detailed setup gets the exact same result as you describe - Sage changes it back to 3 immediately.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Sage User

Anyone know why XP times out after a while and goes to the login screen? I've turned off all power-saving features, but it still does this. Really annoying.

Also, has anyone installed MPC-HC or PowerDVD codecs and gotten them working in Sage? I've registered the MPC standalone codecs, and although CPU usage has dropped from ~22% to ~9%, the mpeg2 HD video has a soft focus now. This won't do.

Any way to force Sage to use a certain codec for mpeg2HD and mpeg4HD, transport streams from Dish?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

This is caused by the screensaver. It can be disabled in the Display control panel.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Sage User

Thanks toricred.

Registered and am using the MPC-HC codecs now, although on mpeg2 HD I've got soft focus and comb-tearing on pans. No idea which codec Sage is using, since that seems to be a secret. Would like to eliminate all unnecessary codecs, but no idea which does what.