SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Flash 10.1 to Include Video Acceleration

Adobe and Nvidia announced today that Flash 10.1 will include support for GPU-accelerated video. Sure, Flash currently claims to have some sort of hardware acceleration, but its pretty limited and doesn't seem to include any video decoding acceleration. This update should include much better support. Adobe seems to be doing this mainly to get Flash running better on phones and netbooks, but it sounds like Adobe will be implementing DXVA support to do this on the Windows side so we should all benefit.

For space reasons, my Sage server sits next to my TV. It's not terribly wimpy, a Athlon X2 3800+ with an ATI 4670 video card, but it still can't run Hulu very well because of Flash video's incredibly CPU intensive scaling algorithm. This should change that.

Now, if only Adobe can work on their security vulnerabilities. I think Flash is the main source of vulnerabilities in Windows PCs these days. And I don't think Acrobat Reader is much better.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I just want them to release a flash player for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I manage a website that requires flash to draw itself (does not do videos) and I can't even access it from my iPod Touch since you can't have flash on it (unless you jailbreak your device).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Adobe would love to develop and release a version of Flash for the iPhone, but Apple won't allow it. Pretty much every other smartphone will get Flash support except for the iPhone. Isn't Apple a wonderful company?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Adobe would love to develop and release a version of Flash for the iPhone, but Apple won't allow it. Pretty much every other smartphone will get Flash support except for the iPhone. Isn't Apple a wonderful company?
Actually, they are releasing one. It won't be the full version, but they are releasing a minimal version, it is just a matter of when at this point (more waiting)...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Adobe-Fl...news-4795.html
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think that counts. That's really more of a development tool. It lets developers use Adobe's Flash development tools to create games and applications that will run on the iPhone/Touch. It's not like you're going to be able to view Flash content from the browser, or see any flash content that wasn't specifically created for the iPod/Touch.

This certainly isn't anything like the "Flash Lite" that Adobe has made for other smartphones.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I loves my Touch Pro 2. Real men use Windows Mobile smartphones. Women and boys use iPhones.

S
Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I loves my Touch Pro 2. Real men use Windows Mobile smartphones. Women and boys use iPhones.

S
I wouldn't say that, we may be boys in your eyes but we can spell love right

ps-yes I do wish iphone would allow flash support pisses me off to no end, but also shows how popular iphone is as may sites are making themselves more iphone friendly (ie offering a no flash version for iphone)