SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Sage User

Convert to HD With Comcast?

I am currently using SageTV with 4 Analog Hauppauge Tuners with 2 tuners via USBUirt and 2 tuners on direct CATV. Very successfully!
I also use 4 TVs with the Hauppauge Media MVP.

My understanding to go HD is that I must first get some HD tuners. I understand the Hauppauge options. I might go USB this time around.

I also understand that I would have to replace my 4 Media MVPs with the STPHD200s if I want HD all over.

I understand the PC requirements especially the need for larger hard drives.

What confuses me is what to do about Comcast and getting the TV channels I need for the Chicago area. Comcast will need to replace my CATV boxes. I would hope to control them without the USBUirt if I can. I don't know how Comcast works for tuning HD without their box. My understanding is that they have different boxes for TVs that are now on direct cable. In my case two of my tuners are controlled via direct cable.

Any suggestions or help with my conversion is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deipert View Post
What confuses me is what to do about Comcast and getting the TV channels I need for the Chicago area. Comcast will need to replace my CATV boxes. I would hope to control them without the USBUirt if I can. I don't know how Comcast works for tuning HD without their box. My understanding is that they have different boxes for TVs that are now on direct cable. In my case two of my tuners are controlled via direct cable.

Any suggestions or help with my conversion is greatly appreciated.
I also have Comcast, but am in a different market. I have an HDHomeRun, but I use both tuners for over the air digital since there is almost no clear QAM on Comcast in my area. I also have one dual turn 2250 which I use for the analog Comcast channels without a cablebox. In addition, I have a HD-PVR for only the HD Comcast channels with an HD cablebox. I also have an old PVR 350. using S-video for the Comcast digital channels whcih I need a Comcast cable box to receive.

The HD content can be recorded with a HD-PVR, but it does not record in MPEG2 format, only the TS format. I use the HD-PVR only for HD programs to reduce the number of TS recordings, since I do not have editing software for TS, only MPEG2.

I have tried two different types of HD cable boxes. The DCX3200 and DCT6200. I have not been successful in getting the USB-UIRT to work with the DCX-3200, using it's remote control. However, the DCX3200 does work the the DCT6200 remote control and IR code using the DXT6200 codes. So, my point is, if you cannot get the USB-UIRT to work with the cablebox remote codes, try using another remote control to switch the cablebox, and then the USB-UIRT programmed with the remote alternative remote control.

Dave