SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

USB DVD or Bluray drive for HD200?

Hi,

Maybe a strange request, but it would be fabulous if USB DVD or Bluray drives could be plugged directly into the HD200 (even if only playback, not RIP). Perfect for the babysitter / grandparents / friends etc...

I had thought this might be possible when I bought my extenders ("...External storage devices can be attached to the USB2 port on the the front and/or back of the unit...") -- but no luck.

Any plans to support this?

Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

The problem isn't necessarily supporting the drives themselves but legally supporting the encryption of DVD and BD. The required licensing would out of necessity add to the cost of the HD200.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

How much

Hi,

I probably wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for licencing etc if it means not having to buy another BD player (assuming cost of BD drive + license is in the same ballpark), as well as avoiding all the hassle with remotes, switching inputs, etc etc.

Just another item on the menu.

Even cooler if it could do the rips for you whilst you watched

Cheers.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Hi,

I probably wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for licencing etc if it means not having to buy another BD player (assuming cost of BD drive + license is in the same ballpark), as well as avoiding all the hassle with remotes, switching inputs, etc etc.

Just another item on the menu.

Even cooler if it could do the rips for you whilst you watched

Cheers.
Sorry, that is not going to happen.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

The way around this is just to put a blu-ray drive in your server with AnyDVD HD running and mapping the blu-ray drive to Sage. Yes I realize that is an extra step for those interesting in watching a move on your Sage system, but then again you generally have to teach them out to use it anyway....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
The way around this is just to put a blu-ray drive in your server with AnyDVD HD running and mapping the blu-ray drive to Sage. Yes I realize that is an extra step for those interesting in watching a move on your Sage system, but then again you generally have to teach them out to use it anyway....
Hi,

Thanks for the great suggestion (it's what I do at the moment... ).

Unfortunately, I have one server, and a number of HD200s in various places. Can't have people running around looking for the one drive to put a disk into...

Can't see why sage don't let us at least mount a DVD or Bluray drive for non-encrypted content (and then let us hook decss in ourselves if we are in a region where this would be permissable).

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the great suggestion (it's what I do at the moment... ).

Unfortunately, I have one server, and a number of HD200s in various places. Can't have people running around looking for the one drive to put a disk into...

Can't see why sage don't let us at least mount a DVD or Bluray drive for non-encrypted content (and then let us hook decss in ourselves if we are in a region where this would be permissable).

Cheers!
Well, I am not sure anyone has tried unencrypted content on a USB DVD drive. That may actually work, but other than home videos and the occassional old movie, 99% of the discs out there have encryption so it isn't a route that most of us have gone. Most who are looking for this option, are looking to rent a movie and just drop it into the drive and play it. You could always make your own DVD/Blu-Ray rips without encryption but most of who go that route just store them on our servers.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter