SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 Help

I just got the HD200 the other day I have it networked, and updated to the latest beta firmware. I can access all my media on my network. I was wondering should I be running some Sage software on my PC to make the HD200 work better? and also could I use placeshifter or does that require a TV tuner card? Thanks much guys.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstretch View Post
I just got the HD200 the other day I have it networked, and updated to the latest beta firmware. I can access all my media on my network. I was wondering should I be running some Sage software on my PC to make the HD200 work better?
Are you asking a) whether you should be running SageTV on the PC at all, or b) are you already using the SageTV software & want to know if you should use the beta software with the beta firmware?

For: a) You don't need the SageTV software on the PC if you are using the HD200 on its own; b) if you are connecting the HD200 to the SageTV server and using the HD200 as an extender, then yes, you should use the beta software if you are using the beta firmware.

Quote:
and also could I use placeshifter or does that require a TV tuner card?
A TV tuner isn't a requirement for Placeshifter. Placeshifter connects to a SageTV server over your LAN or from a remote location & provides access to the full SageTV UI. If the SageTV server has a tuner, you can control the recordings on the server; if there is no tuner on the server, then you can still play the imported media. Edit: You have to have the SageTV software installed on a PC in order to use Placeshifter.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the fast reply! No I am a little confused with all the software Sage offers as to what to use. What is the difference between using it as an extender or just or on its own? Will i get any added benefits from using it as an extender, or using software?

Last edited by mkstretch; 06-28-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Sage Icon

The HD200 has 2 modes: standalone and extender. It sounds like you’re using the HD200 in standalone mode. If you use the HD200 as an extender than you must install the SageTV software on your server, or a computer that will be your server.

Installing the software gives you access to a different UI. This UI can be customized and you can add third party plugins to it to satisfy nearly any additional needs you may have. There’s lots of customizations that can be added to the Sage software, I don’t believe that the standalone mode of the HD200 has any yet… In addition to being able to customize your SageTV UI you can install a tuner card at the server and then your HD200 can act just like a DVR.

I would say the overall vast majority of the folks here are using the HD200 as an extender to play their recorded TV content on their televisions. This means that their servers are equipped with tuner(s). The real bread and butter of Sage are the DVR capabilities. Sage can be a way of saving money when it comes to recording TV content…

Check out a few of the capabilities that can be achieved by using your HD200 as an extender and setting up a server:
- Comskip/Showanalyzer for atomically detecting and skipping commercials
- SageMC – a replacement of the default UI http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17979
- Fanart with your movies http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37512
- Library of your collection http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41451
- Different Themes http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41723

There’s a lot more than this, but might pique your interest
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Wrems thanks you so much for the info. So I guess I will try and use it as an extender to get more customization out of it. I would install SageTv media server to use the HD200 as an extender correct?? One last question with the DVR function the computer with the Tuner card has to be connected derectly to the HD200 right? It wont work just having the HD200 connected to my home network? Thanks again great info!!

Last edited by mkstretch; 06-29-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

The computer (server) can be anywhere on your network, in the basement or something. So long as you have router/switch connecting the HD200 to the server you're good. Try to avoid wireless stuff altogether, wireless can be achieved but performance is not always as good as a hardwired network especially if you plan on serving up HD content.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Just to be clear, you don't need to have a tuner on the server to playback files or to install or use the Sage software. The tuner is only for recording content, if you have a bunch of ripped dvd's/blurays you can still use the SageTV software to playback these files on your HD200.

The only time you need a tuner is if and when you decide to begin capturing TV.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed the SageTv server software, but it opens and says its Sage Media center and its only a trial version. Sage server software is what you use to add add plugins and a different UI to the HD200 right?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

You installed the right thing. It will be in trial mode until you purchase it, or run out of your trial… Not sure how long that is anymore… 2~weeks…

From the HD200 you should be able to connect to that server where the Sage software is installed. Once you are connected you will see a different UI on your TV.

You can change this UI if you wish. I would make sure that you backup your Sage folders in program files and shutdown the service before making any changes like adding SageMC… This is good/necessary practice regardless. If and when you foul something up you can revert back to a perfectly good working copy. The most important individual files to be wary of are Wiz.bin and Sage.properties.

Be sure to read carefully the instructions for any plugin you may wish to try out. Some plugins only work with the default STV and others only work with the SageMC STV. You are currently running the default Sage STV.

Reading material in no particular order:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41428
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...?t=1601&page=2
http://www.geektonic.com/

Don’t forget to read your manual too There be lots to learn. At the same time, it's fun and can be frustrating...
Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

wrems thank you so much for all the info!!!