SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Sage User

Tivo Desktop, .tivo files and Sage

Yes, I already searched.

So, I'm going to have Sage soon. I have a series 2 Tivo and Tivo desktop. It appears to record data from the Tivo on the PC in a proprietary .tivo format.

Does Sage recognize this format?

If not, how can I play these recordings in Sage, and, more particularly, on an HD200?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

With Tivo Deskstop installed, Sage can recognize and play back .tivo files on a PC client.

I haven't tried it on an HD200, but I wouldn't hold out much hope since the .tivo files are DRM-encrypted and require the Tivo software to decrypt them. I don't see how you're going to get that to work on an extender, short of some sort of loopback hack that feeds the PC's video output back into an analog capture device.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Transition help

Greg,
Noticed that you indicate that SAGE can play TiVo files when TiVo Desktop is installed. This can save lots of transcoding!!!
When will you know if the Tivo HD and Media extenders are compatible. Knowledge that I don't have to transcode lets me make the commitment to purchase the HD extender(s) now.

Goal is to have each Tivo (one series 3, one HD) as a source that extenders can access as if they were Tivo extenders. Full use of Tivo guide, existing recordings, dual tuners and buffers, etc.

So information on how to configure the extender, PVR caputure devices and server will be greatly appreciated.

Server: Windows XP, Athlon 5200 dual core 2.61GHz, 2 GB RAM, 4 TB media storage (separate 80GB OS and user space)
Network: currently 100BaseT - plan to use GB in due time
Tivo Series 3 w/ 1 TB, HD with stock 160 GB, 2 Huappage PVR-1212s
3 HD sets, 1 SD, (plan to use extenders for one HD and the SD) 1 PC client
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 AM
SageTVaholic

I think you misunderstand. Sage doesn't act as a Tivo extender, playing recordings directly off a networked Tivo. That's not what I was saying. But if you use the Tivo software to transfer recordings from your Tivo to your PC's hard disk, then Sage can play those .tivo files on that PC (but probably not on an extender).