SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

MSI Wind Nettop CS120 or Asus EeeBox EBXB202?

Any had experience with either of these computers as a SageTV server? Their small size and low power consumption would be a real benefit in my small, already overcrowded equipment room. I'm looking for something that will run the SageTV server software as-well-as the R5000 app. Video isn't important since I use the HD200 for all playback.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can read my review of this Jetway Nettop here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856107043

I am still very happy with the low power consumption, stable, quiet system.

Edit: the real limitation on these systems is for comskip of h.264 or transcoding video for placeshifting.

Wayne
Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

I see you bought the barebones version. What all did you add to it? What do you figure your total cost was when completed? I've read that the fan noise can get pretty bad with these things. Have you found that to be an issue? Because of the 4DTV receiver, I'd have to run mine in the media room so noise is a concern. As mentioned earlier my plan would be to use it as a headless SageTV server and to run the R5000 mod software. I'm guessing it would have enough horsepower for that. Certainly can't beat the price.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Take a look at the Lenovo S12 Ion version too.

B
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco View Post
I see you bought the barebones version. What all did you add to it? What do you figure your total cost was when completed? I've read that the fan noise can get pretty bad with these things. Have you found that to be an issue? Because of the 4DTV receiver, I'd have to run mine in the media room so noise is a concern. As mentioned earlier my plan would be to use it as a headless SageTV server and to run the R5000 mod software. I'm guessing it would have enough horsepower for that. Certainly can't beat the price.
Most of the details are in this thread:

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...31&postcount=6

When I bought it I also bought a USB modem for callerID and 2 GB Ram bringing my total to $275. From my previous build I had 2 1-TB HDDs, 2 HDHRs, 1 HD-PVR, 1-USB UIRT, wireless keyboard & mouse, 1 PCI firewire card and 1 Hauppauge 250 PCI card.

I have not found the noise to be an issue at all, although it is in a closet. I actually have additional fans to what the box came with. My biggest concern with the box I got is the airflow around the HDD was not good. As a result I mounted my HDDs in an external box with a 120 mm fan.

While it certainly has some limitations, it works well for me. For the HD-PVR recordings that I want watch the same night I record them I can run comskip across the network from a faster desktop PC (which is how I thought I would need to do all of my recordings). But for all of my other recordings from the HDHR or the 250, this little guy does a good job of keeping up. I don't have an R5000 so I can't help you there.

Hope some of this helps your decision. Keep us posted.

Wayne
Old 06-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo View Post
Most of the details are in this thread:

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...31&postcount=6

While it certainly has some limitations, it works well for me. For the HD-PVR recordings that I want watch the same night I record them I can run comskip across the network from a faster desktop PC (which is how I thought I would need to do all of my recordings).
Wayne
I used to use ComSkip for EyeTV playback, but don't know how to use it with SageTV. Perhaps the Mac and Windows versions of ComSkip are different.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

The Mac version of comskip is the windows exe running under WINE. At least the one I provided in the download area is.

B