SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM

SageTV locks up when attempting to "Watch Now" - resolved

Hello,

I have just run into a problem with my Sage set up. I built this for my wife a couple years ago and have had pretty good luck with diagnosing various issues. This one has me stumped.

In a nutshell: When I select "Watch Now" for a recorded show from a client (MediaMVP or HD Theater), the Sage system freezes up.

The only way to clear this is to go to the Sage PC, bring up task manager and bring down the hammer on the SageTV executable. In task manager, the Sage executable is consuming 98-99% of the CPU. I have let the Sage PC run this way for about 30 minutes to see if it would eventually clear on its own. It does not.

I have tried accessing a few other options from the clients. It appears I can manage favorites, check the recording schedule, look through the list of recording, etc. The PC is even recording scheduled programs just fine. The problem only occurs when I click the "Watch Now" on a recording.

So... that is my problem? Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Additional info: I have two remote clients. A Hauppauge MediaMVP and an HD Theater, hooked to a PC running WinXP Pro-SP3 with automatic updates turned on. I am running the "official" latest v6.5 release on the PC and the HD Theater is up to date with "official" firmware releases. I have not loaded any beta code.

The PC boots just fine. I have Sage start up at boot and run minimized. We do not use this PC for anything else, it just sits in the entertainment center as the Sage host. About 1 hour ago, I took it apart and blew out the dust. A sure sign of desperation. That's when I decided I better ask for help.

Thanks,
JimD
aka SOShootME

Last edited by SOShootME; 06-15-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: resolved my problem
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

automatic update = bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOShootME View Post
a PC running WinXP Pro-SP3 with automatic updates turned on.
It's unlikely this was the source of your problem, but I would personally turn this off. There is no real reason to have a computer that is not used for email/daily web browsing update automatically. Risk is pretty minimal. You can manually update after you see if anyone else has had problem with the updates. It is not out of the realm of possibility to have an update break previously working functionality.

Just my opinion. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your actual problem.

Nick
Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks for responding Nick

I had been thinking along the same lines with the XP updates. Not sure what I will do just yet. I may just migrate the Sage into my Home Server and retire the old box.

On a brighter note, I think I have my Sage setup working again. At least, my wife hasn't come in search of me since I told her I thought it was fixed.

I tried two things:

1. I followed the "sticky" suggestion at the top about uninstalling and re-installing the latest Java update. I removed all the existing Java JRE installations and downloaded only the latest. This had no effect, but my disk is a bit cleaner.

2. I re-ran the installation for Sage v6.5.9 (from the official download site) and let it repair my existing 6.5.9 installation. This did the trick. so I guess something got FUBAR'd in there somehow.

So my wife is apparently back in business.

Thanks again Nick,

JimD
aka SOShootME
Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOShootME View Post
Thanks again Nick,
{Polite people are so nice}

You are welcome (not that I actually helped). Glad you got it working again. I know I must be addicted, I dont even like to think about being without Sage!

Nick

Last edited by nick_l; 06-15-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarity