SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV HD Theater HDMI to VGA

Will the SageTV HD Theater function when connected to an older plasma that only has a VGA inpuit using an HDMI to VGA cable which I have? I guess this comes down to does the SageTV HD Theater digital media receiver require HDCP on the display device? Because my old SONY Plasma doesn't have that - it has VGA, composite and svideo inpputs only.

For obvious reasons I want to use the VGA connections.

Thanks,
-Nyle
Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

No, HDMI doesn't carry a VGA signal. Your TV doesn't even have component video inputs? That's the red, green and blue plugs.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

I got an HDFury to do that with mine. It doesn't require HDCP (AFIAK) but as Taddeusz notes, HDMI is digital only, so you need something that will convert digital to analog.

But, does your Plasma accept Component timings/format on the VGA input? If so, all you need is a Component-VGA cable.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
No, HDMI doesn't carry a VGA signal. Your TV doesn't even have component video inputs? That's the red, green and blue plugs.
I knew that HDMI was intended to be digital. I didn't realize it didn't also carry an analog signal. I believe your advice but what about all the companies selling HDMI to VGA cables?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-.../dp/B001OLCHJ6

http://www.jakeludington.com/hdtv/20...with_hdcp.html

No there are no component level inputs. Only VGA, composite and svideo. This is not a consumer display.

I will have to check the manual to see if it will support component level inputs on the VGA port. That might be an option that I didn't think of.

Thanks for the information. What about those cables for sale though?

Thanks.
-Nyle
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't see how the first would work, seems like a scam. The second is an HDFury like I mentioned above. Though I'd get an HDFury2 if I were buying today.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looks like it will take Component (YUV) on the VGA connector.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, YUV is the standard YPbPr connection so I can just get a cable as they show in the attached photo? Component(YPbPr/YUV) to VGA.

Thanks for the help,
-Nyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PFM32C1.JPG (65.2 KB, 188 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure how that HDMI to VGA cable is supposed to work. Look at the pinout of HDMI and show me where it would get an analog VGA signal from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi
Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Not sure how that HDMI to VGA cable is supposed to work. Look at the pinout of HDMI and show me where it would get an analog VGA signal from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi
No, no - I hear you on HDMI not being RGB - without the HDFury to do the conversion those HDMI to HD15 cables look like a scam like stranger said.

My Plasma appears to offer to take RGB/YUV as per the photo on the above post. With the YUV that means it takes a YPbPr signal and should then handle a HD15 to RCA component cable connected to any YPbPr component device like the HD Sage unit correct?

I just wanted to confirm before I went that route. My old Sony plasma doesn't have seperate RCA connectors for component.

Thanks guys,
-Nyle
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
No, no - I hear you on HDMI not being RGB - without the HDFury to do the conversion those HDMI to HD15 cables look like a scam like stranger said.

My Plasma appears to offer to take RGB/YUV as per the photo on the above post. With the YUV that means it takes a YPbPr signal and should then handle a HD15 to RCA component cable connected to any YPbPr component device like the HD Sage unit correct?

I just wanted to confirm before I went that route. My old Sony plasma doesn't have seperate RCA connectors for component.

Thanks guys,
-Nyle
Yes, if it is able to take a YUV signal through it's VGA port a component to VGA cable should work fine.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes, if it is able to take a YUV signal through it's VGA port a component to VGA cable should work fine.
Thanks Taddeusz, it says RGB/YUV in the manual so I should be good to go.

I appreciate the information.

-Nyle
Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Yup, my parent's Mits TV was like that, it had a combo RGB/YPbPr input. You might want to look through the menu and see if there's a selection for which to accept or maybe it's automagic.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yup, my parent's Mits TV was like that, it had a combo RGB/YPbPr input. You might want to look through the menu and see if there's a selection for which to accept or maybe it's automagic.
I found the option it's on the remote. I never even noticed it.

Thanks again guys I found adapters for $3.28.

-Nyle