SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD Theatre vs. HD Extender

I'm a little confused. If the "Theater" device can do stand alone or act as an extender and I'm assuming the extender is just an extender, and they are both the same price, then what reason would there be to go with the extender?

Are there other differences? Will the extender pop my corn?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgitta View Post
I'm a little confused. If the "Theater" device can do stand alone or act as an extender and I'm assuming the extender is just an extender, and they are both the same price, then what reason would there be to go with the extender?

Your referring to the HD200? It's one system. It can run standalone to access a hard drive full of media or a network. Also, has online video if connected to the internet. OR you can run it in Theater mode (I guess that's what they call it, most of us call it server mode or extender). It connects to the SageTV server (which records shows and gives more a little more customizable features.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Here's a post that gives the official SageTV definitions of Media Player mode vs Media Etender mode for the SageTV HD Theater device:

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...74&postcount=4

Media Player mode = standalone
Media Extender mode = connected to SageTV server
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgitta View Post

When Sage first released an HD extender, it was called the HD-100. That model is no longer sold by Sage since they released the HD-200 (which they now call the HD Theater, but people on the forums still regularly call an HD extender).

The HD-100 was a little slower, did not have a "stand alone" mode, and was not advertised to work with BlueRay or HD DVDs (although there may actually be some ability to play those movies - it isn't technically supported).

If you are buying a new one today, it will automatically be a HD-200 which is the newer, more powerful unit that also works in "stand alone" mode.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok, cool. then we're really only talking about one unit now.

thanks all for the clarification
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Sage User

How do you switch from Sage Extender mode to Local?

How do you switch from Sage extender mode to local?
I cannot see my samba or windows xp shares, but I does connect to online services though like uTube.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smino View Post
How do you switch from Sage extender mode to local?
I cannot see my samba or windows xp shares, but I does connect to online services though like uTube.
HD-200 boots up in StandAlone mode. You go to extender mode by selecting Sage Servers (icon in in upper right) and then selecting a server from the list.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Sage User

Shares

Funny thing is that I can see the Sagetv in my windows and linux shares, but sagetv cannot see my windows xp or linux shares. Do the servers/computers/devices have to be on the same switches? there is no firewall between them.
To bad there is no option to do a manual mount or forced mount.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Sage User

Is it possbile to telnet/ssh or connect directly to the sageTV HD box without going through the remote control? I would need to run a few tests to see what is going on. I suspect it has something to do with the Browser Master.

I think Sage TV became the browser master when I plugged it in. All of a sudden my shares were not working on my samba linux boxes. Even after I unplugged it, I had to go back into every box and specify the hosts file and then I made my unraid server the master. After that my linux and windows desktop (no more windows just linux Mint 7 now) could see the other shares and was blazing fast.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smino View Post
Is it possbile to telnet/ssh or connect directly to the sageTV HD box without going through the remote control? I would need to run a few tests to see what is going on. I suspect it has something to do with the Browser Master.

I think Sage TV became the browser master when I plugged it in. All of a sudden my shares were not working on my samba linux boxes. Even after I unplugged it, I had to go back into every box and specify the hosts file and then I made my unraid server the master. After that my linux and windows desktop (no more windows just linux Mint 7 now) could see the other shares and was blazing fast.
definately possible. It's just root and blank for the pass. I poked around some when I was having problems a while ago.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
When Sage first released an HD extender, it was called the HD-100. That model is no longer sold by Sage since they released the HD-200 (which they now call the HD Theater, but people on the forums still regularly call an HD extender).

The HD-100 was a little slower, did not have a "stand alone" mode, and was not advertised to work with BlueRay or HD DVDs (although there may actually be some ability to play those movies - it isn't technically supported).

If you are buying a new one today, it will automatically be a HD-200 which is the newer, more powerful unit that also works in "stand alone" mode.
BTW HD200 does not play blu rays very well ether.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Plays all mine fine, well save menus.