SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereader View Post
OK, I did some testing on my client last night and thought I would post my findings (if you could call them that) here. I know at least ghostlobster was trying to get SMV going on a client.

Perhaps it would be better to post in list format what I tried. None of the below actions changed the behavior I have been seeing up until this point:
1. turning animations on and off
2. turning scaling on and off
3. changing the album art cache size and turning it on and off
4. deleting my whole fanart folder, going to SMV without any fanart
5. having BMT repopulate my fanart folder then trying SMV
6. pointing the client to a local copy of my fanart folder

The only time I saw acceptable performance on the client was when I disabled fanart altogether, then everything worked fine.

That being said, I tried SMV on my server as well again, and I'm getting similar behavior. So I may play with that tonight and try and get it working properly there.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I am curious if anyone running clients see's the same behavior on the standard video library when you bump the rows and columns up to 3x8 like on SMW?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I am curious if anyone running clients see's the same behavior on the standard video library when you bump the rows and columns up to 3x8 like on SMW?
Hmmm...that's an interesting thought. I'll give that a try tonight. Unfortunately, I've got about 10 hours before I get home.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Question how upset would people be if I stop supporting folder.jpg's and only supported fanart? I am working on speeding some of the issues people are having up but can only do that if people are okay with the above. I may be able to skirt it by just asking.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I can see a problem if people are using folder.jpg's for folders (like the genre example a bit back). However, if genre's and such end up being supported in V3, then it's not really that much of an issue.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, my selfish response is "good riddance"! It seems like every once in while a rogue .jpg will make it's way to my imported movies section and I don't quite know how. I suspect that it my have something to do with my settings for BMT, but it usually places fanart in my fanart folder like it's suppose to.

Anyways, I have to go in there and clean these rogue folder.jpgs out every once in a while. This would make things a little easier for me.

Last edited by petereader; 06-05-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Sage Icon

hey pete,
Sorry if you've posted this before... but could you summarize and elaborate in detail the behavior you are seeing (or point me to where you already did)? (where in SMW you are, when do you see the UI Hang, what action initiates the hang, how big your collection is, Client/Server/HD200, are your posters stored with the videos or in the central fanart folder, etc). I am working with Plucky to try and track down this issue as I am seeing it too.

I am seeing the slowdown on my server, client, and HD200 in Wall View only. List view is absolutely smooth. I see a 1-5 sec hang when displaying a new row or page of posters with the default 3x8 posters view. With less posters (2x4 or 2x6) the hang is still there but less noticable and the fewer the better. Navigation while on a page (without displaying a new wall) is super smooth. Animation has no effect. My Java Heap is 768mb and i use around 250mb. I have 350ish movies 99% of which have posters and probably about 70-80% of those have fanart.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I can tell you guys I have made some major overhaul to how I was calling things in the wall. I am seeing a major like 50% or so improvement on speed. Razor is going to give it a go tonight and make sure he is seeing the same results. I haven't tested on hd200 yet but on the server it is a huge speed increase with min. if any ui hangs I put wrapping on and held page down without problems.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I am curious if anyone running clients see's the same behavior on the standard video library when you bump the rows and columns up to 3x8 like on SMW?
i was going to test that but didnt think of it until about 30 min ago... will test tonight
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Question how upset would people be if I stop supporting folder.jpg's and only supported fanart? I am working on speeding some of the issues people are having up but can only do that if people are okay with the above. I may be able to skirt it by just asking.
wouldn't be upset at all
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Here are some screencaps from the server

ListView
ListView

Wall view
WAll View

this are short and sweet more to show the the speed. On the wall capture the spinning cirle happens when I held page/channel down.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Those using UNC paths I now feel your pain!!!

Thanks to RazorSharpe and about 2 hours of both our time tonight we were able to pinpoint the issue using UNC paths. So Version 3 will have a major major improvement for users using client pc and/or unc paths for fanart.

I was unable to reproduce this for the longest time as I don't run a clients, but simply setting up a unc path for fanart I started to feel your pain instantly.

Why weren't you yelling at me that is terrible performance. I promise all future builds will be tested by me using unc and local paths.

Ps mapping the unc path to a local drive will not help I will not issue a fix for v2 but v3 will have it in there.

cheers
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

How could we yell at you after all of the great work you've done. Besides, I was to busy being in awe of how great this wall looks...once I finally got there

Ah, so it was the UNC paths. That would explain why I couldn't get to work on my server either.

Thanks to you and RazorSharpe for taking the time to figure this out. I know you don't use clients, so this was really going out of your way.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can't wait to see the new version.... looking so awesome Plucky!!!
________
XV250

Last edited by Quazeye; 01-26-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Quote:
Those using UNC paths I now feel your pain!!!

Thanks to RazorSharpe and about 2 hours of both our time tonight we were able to pinpoint the issue using UNC paths. So Version 3 will have a major major improvement for users using client pc and/or unc paths for fanart.

I was unable to reproduce this for the longest time as I don't run a clients, but simply setting up a unc path for fanart I started to feel your pain instantly.

Why weren't you yelling at me that is terrible performance. I promise all future builds will be tested by me using unc and local paths.

Ps mapping the unc path to a local drive will not help I will not issue a fix for v2 but v3 will have it in there.

cheers
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

I saw the post about the videos, then watched them and my jaw hurts from hitting the floor due to the speed! I was honestly wondering if you were playing it back in fast forward!!! Before reading the rest of the posts, I was about to ask you if that was truly 30fps or 300! I'm really glad to hear that it was due to the UNC paths and that it will be better in the next version. I couldn't yell because I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was normal or not. For all I knew, I had an issue with my installation.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I saw the post about the videos, then watched them and my jaw hurts from hitting the floor due to the speed! I was honestly wondering if you were playing it back in fast forward!!! Before reading the rest of the posts, I was about to ask you if that was truly 30fps or 300! I'm really glad to hear that it was due to the UNC paths and that it will be better in the next version. I couldn't yell because I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was normal or not. For all I knew, I had an issue with my installation.
I sent a test out yesterday and the people I have heard back with UNC paths have no issues

Also I ponied up and but a client license and now test on that with unc paths when coding
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
I sent a test out yesterday and the people I have heard back with UNC paths have no issues
Drool......
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
Drool......
Yeah it is getting better everyday. Go on vacation next week so hopefully the week I get back... No Promises.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I have my folders using sage movie wall. When I select dvd's it brings up my dvd's in wall form. Same for my blu-rays. However, i have all videos view enabled for this to work correctly. This is causing issues with my tv shows and cartoons I have archived on my hard drives. Do you know of a way to view dvd's and blu-rays (using the edited xml instructions you provided) but being able to use file system view for other folders.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

You can edit the menu xml look back about a page for instructions

but in all honesty you probably won't need them with version 3 as the filtering is better/more specific from the homepage.