SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Hauppauge 1600 Remote + IR Blaster - only a few buttons working

OK I've been struggling with this for days now
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've used Sage for a couple years now and love it--used to run my STB over Firewire, but now using the Hauppauge IRBlaster.
That works fine, channel changes, good.

A few functions on the remote also work -- ChannelUp, ChannelDown, VolumeUp, VolumeDown, FFwd, Rewind, and ther other FFwd/Rewinds.

But that's it.

My case is the Zalman HD160, so it also has IRTrans build in, which I used to use for the remote before I had the Hauppauge card. Now the IRTrans isn't being recognized (perhaps b/c of the Hauppauge IR drivers, no idea)..

I also used HIP to program my remotes other functions.

My question is, how can I get the other functions of the Hauppauge remote working?
Ideally I'd like to use something like HIP to program it to do whatever I want in all different apps (VLC, PowerDVD, etc..), or at least get the Guide, info, arrows, OK, etc.. buttons working in Sage.

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

If you mean you are using the Hauppauge remote with their receiver + software, then see this FAQ:

How do I use the Hauppauge remote to control SageTV? When I press a button, nothing happens.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply,

I had searched the forums first, and found that post.

A few buttons on the remote do work, but only the ones I listed.
The rest do nothing.

When installing Sage I did select the Hauppauge remote option.

If I were to try Girder, would that work with the Hauppauge remote/receiver, i.e. to control other apps?

Thanks a lot for any help
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelBodhi View Post
When installing Sage I did select the Hauppauge remote option.
But, did you (re)install the Hauppauge IR software afterwards? If so, then irremote.ini won't contain the required changes for SageTV. (This assumes you are using Hauppauge's ir.exe software & their regular remote instead of their MCE type remote + blaster.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Sage User

Hm, I'm pretty sure I did the install of Hauppauge first, then Sage..

Although I may have tried uninstalling and re-installing Hauppage afterwards, but if I did, it was during the process of trying to debug this issue, I suppose I can try reinstalling Sage.

Also, I installed a trial of Girder and it doesn't seem to recognize the Hauppauge as an input device.

Would I get better results purchasing a new IR receiver and remote? I'd like to be able to program keys to do specific things, launch programs, and control them. But obviously I'd still need to control the STB. Any suggestions?

Thanks Andy, I've read many of your posts and really appreciate the help
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

You could look in the Windows directory to see if you are even using irremote.ini and whether it has a [SageTV] section in it. Also, ir.exe needs to be running with the remote icon in the Windows system tray.

I just realized that it most likely isn't an MCE style blaster/receiver because you said you could use it to change channels -- if it were an MCE version, you would already have to be using some other software to get that to work.

You could always use a USB-UIRT instead, but if the Hauppauge blaster works, then the remote should be able to work too -- double check the contents of irremote.ini.

- Andy
Old 07-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

My remote works if I point it directly at my 950Q, but when I connect the IR blaster to my 1600 and try to set it up, the configuration program (downloaded from Hauppauge) says it doesn't see an IR-blaster, and when I point the remote directly at the blaster-receiver, nothing happens. So, the remote setup is fine, but the blaster isn't working.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
My remote works if I point it directly at my 950Q, but when I connect the IR blaster to my 1600 and try to set it up, the configuration program (downloaded from Hauppauge) says it doesn't see an IR-blaster, and when I point the remote directly at the blaster-receiver, nothing happens. So, the remote setup is fine, but the blaster isn't working.
It's a known issue. The Hauppauge IR software only supports one IR blaster on a system. And you cannot choose which one works and which one doesn't. In your system you must use the 950Q or purchase something like a USB-UIRT. You may be able to get it to change by swapping the slots your cards are in but that's a crap shoot.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm confused by your reply: I have only the one card - the 1600, and when I connect the IR blaster that it came with, it isn't recognized by the Hauppauge setup program. The 950Q can talk to the remote on its own, but has no place to connect a blaster. Are you saying that could still interfere with the 1600's use of the blaster? I've read a bit about the USBUIRT, but am still unclear on what it can/can't do. Is there a link to a good comprehensive list/explanation of its capabilities? (I didn't find its home-site and forum as informative as I was hoping for). I guess my question is, if I buy a USB-UIRT, will I have everything I need to let Sage receive remote-control codes and send signals to a Comcast STB or DTA to feed back to my 1600's composite, analog, S-video input to record my expanded basic channels that I can't get via a Qam tuner - or will I need to buy additional hardware/software to get it working?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm confused by your reply: I have only the one card - the 1600, and when I connect the IR blaster that it came with, it isn't recognized by the Hauppauge setup program. The 950Q can talk to the remote on its own, but has no place to connect a blaster. Are you saying that could still interfere with the 1600's use of the blaster? ?
Yes.

Quote:
I guess my question is, if I buy a USB-UIRT, will I have everything I need to let Sage receive remote-control codes and send signals to a Comcast STB or DTA to feed back to my 1600's composite, analog, S-video input to record my expanded basic channels that I can't get via a Qam tuner ?
Yes

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.