SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Whs+Sagetv what is the best setup

ok so i have am going to go all out since got nice tax return i am going to get 2 HD-200s and setup a whs
My? is
what is the best procesor. i here this only helps with cut commercials
How Much memory can whs use and does this help any thing/also does'nt java-sagetv run on memory so i dont want to see the circle of death
Then should i put 2 sli graphics cards in would this give me any benefit ?

and i have wanted to know if any one is using the Motorola NIM100's and getting HD over it

o and i will be geting 2 HDHR
Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost85 View Post
ok so i have am going to go all out since got nice tax return i am going to get 2 HD-200s and setup a whs
My? is
what is the best procesor. i here this only helps with cut commercials
I'd suggest quad core but some will suggest dual core. "Best" is subjective what's "best" for some may not be for others.

Quote:
How Much memory can whs use and does this help any thing/also does'nt java-sagetv run on memory so i dont want to see the circle of death
I prefer 2-3G of RAM on a 32-bit OS, others might say 4.

Quote:
Then should i put 2 sli graphics cards in would this give me any benefit ?
No. WHS is not a desktop OS, it's meant to run headless.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
No. WHS is not a desktop OS, it's meant to run headless.
but isnt the video card that can help do the decoding on it so does not take up ur memory or proc. basicly onces i get this up i wont be upgrading for a long time and i just dont want any issues because of hardware since i will prob. using both HD-200 at the same time and i was wondering if you can play blu-ray/dvds Drive from the server to the HD-200 since we still rent movies/have pple bring their home movies over on dvd
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

People are putting very cheap, 40 dollar cards (or onboard graphics) in WHS and they're fine. Use the SLI money on a better CPU or more SATAII hard drives. No you can't play BR on the extenders from a drive on the server but you can rip BR and store the media on the server.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Sage User

ok thanks for the adivce on the video card
not playing bluray over what about dvd?

and
again i dont want to see the circle of death is more memory better or just a wast

as well i am confused as does the server do the decoding or do the HD-200s do it

my main reason for asking is right now i have a
p4 1.8
512mb ram
and a ok graphics card
should i just use this for my server or should i upgrade?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't own an extender so I don't know about DVD disks. I know they play DVD rips.

A 32-bit OS can't use more than 4G, I prefer 2 or 3.

The HD-200 does it.

I'd upgrade.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

The video card may not be slot compatible with you new motherboard. You can get a ATI 3450 that will do HDMI and playback BluRays for only about $30 or you can also look for a motherboard with built in Video. Any built in video would work for a server.

I run a 1.8ghz Core duo that is a few years old on my server and have no problems at all. I am running comskip on HD-PVR files and the commercial skip seems always to be ready when I want to watch them except for the news and sports. I am not expecting them to be ready immediately after the show so they could still be running in the middle of the night I really don't know. If you want to have the comskip files ready immediately after the show is done even if you are recording two or three at a time then you will definitely need more CPU then say the cheaper dual cores.

I would expect that the only real need for the quad core would be if you want to run Placeshifter transcoding HD-PVR files.

I would go with a low end AMD X2 myself and spend the extra cash on more hard drives space but it would depend on your priorities and you budget. If I was going to spend money on a quad core I would want it as my desktop. If you do go with a dual core be sure to pick a motherboard that is compatible with a reasonably recent quad core. They will be cheap by Christmas if you want to upgrade then. Just about all the AMD boards will support the new X4 but with Intel it is more complicated.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Even if a dual core would suffice for now, I'd still suggest a quad for future proofing. The Intel Q6600 (I prefer Intel over AMD) is pretty cheap and performs well now and for a while to come.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Sage User

well after researching and seeing this board can go to quad when i am ready i thinking about

this barebone kit from tiger direct its only 259 not bad for price and i think it would be good for my whs server

PNY GeForce 7150 socket 775 Barebone Kit - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2Ghz, Corsair TWINX 2GB DDR2 800MHz, XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB PCIe, Black Gamer ATX Mid Tower Case, 450 Watt Power Supply
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Sage User

still wondering if the server does the decoding or is it the HD-200
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I already answered that...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage Icon

In general the HD-200 does the decoding.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The HD-200s do the decoding. The WHS version of Sage was designed to complement what WHS does best... run as a headless server. It doesn't need to be powerful, unless you plan to use other processor/memory hungry apps. Sage doesn't need much at all to do it's thing - provided your not trying to use it as a client as well. See my sig below. I'm running an 1st gen X2. The only processor intensive work done on it is running Comskip (H264 version), which I restrict to overnight runs.

Again, your needs may be different, but if you're going to invest in the HD-200s then they'll do all your heavy lifting for you.
Capture: 1 x HDHR (Both tuning QAM); 1 x HD-PVR C2 (Component to Moto DCH-3200 - Channel change via Firewire);
Extenders: 2 x STX-HD100; 1 x HD-300 (Panny G20 50" Plasma, Sony 32" LCD, Sammy 26 " LCD)
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Sage User

ok thanks for the info
ok
so one last question how many hard drive gb's can whs handle
and
then i was trying to find something that is a ex case that i can have whs backup certin files every night and then shut the harddrive off so my backup drive is not allways on and wondering if whs can do something like smart back if it has already backed up certin files it wont wast the time doing them again unless they have been chaged what i want to back up is :home videos/pictures most important those get add daily and but my movies so i dont have to worry about lossing them but i dont want it to backup my movies that dont change ?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
so one last question how many hard drive gb's can whs handle
Up to 2TB each drive.

Quote:
then i was trying to find something that is a ex case that i can have whs backup certin files every night and then shut the harddrive off so my backup drive is not allways on and wondering if whs can do something like smart back if it has already backed up certin files it wont wast the time doing them again unless they have been chaged what i want to back up is :home videos/pictures most important those get add daily and but my movies so i dont have to worry about lossing them but i dont want it to backup my movies that dont change ?
WHS has an option to duplicate files on a per share basis but you can use external drives to backup shares if you wanted too. I use duplication for everything. If you don't want to use duplication on certain shares you can turn it off.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Sage User

thanks for the info so as long as i have enough sata connters i can add as much space as wanted
the motherboard i am think about only has 4 on it so i will have to get 2 pci cards sata HDD Controller Card Supports so i can add alot more thanks for all your help this is getting me on the right path. i under stand the duplicate part i love that i just am a craze want to make sure my family pictures and videos are really secure you the stuff the wife would kill me if was lost lol so that is the reason i want a external case to have whs backup once a night and then turn it off i have been looking i have not seen one that does this as well as smart backing up any one have a recommendations for that
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
thanks for the info so as long as i have enough sata connters i can add as much space as wanted
the motherboard i am think about only has 4 on it so i will have to get 2 pci cards sata HDD Controller Card Supports so i can add alot more thanks for all your help this is getting me on the right path. i under stand the duplicate part i love that i just am a craze want to make sure my family pictures and videos are really secure you the stuff the wife would kill me if was lost lol so that is the reason i want a external case to have whs backup once a night and then turn it off i have been looking i have not seen one that does this as well as smart backing up any one have a recommendations for that
Yes, you can add as many drives as you have ports, internal or external.

You can use duplication AND still backup files to an external drive if you want.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

I am a big fan of NewEgg myself. I have found I can go there and build something with exactly what I want for about he same price.

I would start with the Antec Three Hundred case and then add the Antec earthwatts EA380 power supply. They are both 5 star rated.

I built a 45W AMD X2 with a 780G motherboard and 2GB Ram for my son a few weeks ago using the above case and PSU for $260. It would be faster than what you listed above. I am sure you could also build an Intel rig for just a little more. (Less with weaker graphics)

The one you listed above is probably a good value considering the video card but that card will use a lot of juice and run hot. Probably not the best choice for a headless server. I would also look for a motherboard that has more Sata ports so you can easily add hard drives later. eSata to support an External HD is nice as well.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Sage User

well this is the build i think i will go with mabye i will have to mess with it some more this week:

PNY GeForce 7150 socket 775 Barebone Kit -

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2Ghz,

Corsair TWINX 2GB DDR2 800MHz,

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB PCIe,

Black Gamer ATX Mid Tower Case, 450 Watt Power Supply

2xRosewill Silicon Image RC-209-EX PCI External e-SATA x2/ Internal SATA x4

Masscool XWT-PCIE10 4-Port SATA PCI Express Card - PCI Express x1

Windows Home Server

18xSAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB

Sony Optiarc Black 5X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA

2xHDHR

2xHD-200

2xmotorola NIM 100
Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Neither the case nor the power supply will be enough for 18 drives.

With the slight price difference, you're better off going with fewer 1.5T drives than more 1T drives.