SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD200 will not wake up server

My HD200 will not properly wake up my server from sleep mode. Note I do have the server set to wake from network activity.

Now if I go into the SageTV server list on the HD200 and hit refresh a few times the server will appear eventually.

Could it be that I need to enter a server address manually?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Sage User

I have the same issue... SageTV support told me that the HD200 does NOT Wake Up the server... That is NOT part of what the HD200 does... and from reading the forum here it seems that MOST people leave their server running 24/7... That is not for me... but at this time it the only reliable solution I have found other than to wake it up from another source before starting the HD200...
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well that seems like a cop-out to me. They have designed the server to be able to go into standby mode and wake up for recordings why would the drop the ball on the extender.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Sage Expert

You're not the first to ask that, and won't be the last either. Not being a programmer I'm not sure why it seems like it would be so difficult to implement in the firmware.

But as others my solution has been to decrease the sleep timer on the HDDs and disable the sleep function of the computer.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Have you tried refering to the server by IP address on the extender instead of name? This works for me (although at the moment I need to get my server sleeping again as something is keeping it awake which I haven't looked into yet).
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madz View Post
Have you tried refering to the server by IP address on the extender instead of name? This works for me (although at the moment I need to get my server sleeping again as something is keeping it awake which I haven't looked into yet).
No I have not. I will give that a shot. It would make sense that it would not be able to wake it very auto-discovery. So maybe if I put in a fixed server address in the HD200.

As for the server not sleeping, I think I saw a thread recently regarding that very issue. Something to do with the server scanning every 5 minutes or so, if you have your sleep timer greater than say 3-4 minutes it would not go to sleep. Sorry I can not find that thread right now.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Sage Expert

Mine recently started going back to sleep more often. I'm wondering if some update didn't affect my power settings.

While I love that the machine seems to sleep and wake properly it does me no good since my HD100 won't wake up.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Mine recently started going back to sleep more often. I'm wondering if some update didn't affect my power settings.
Thats interesting, I think I'm seeing a similar problem. I just added a HD200 so my server/client is now server only. Even though control panel -> power says always on, i'm seeing it go to sleep after a few hours not being used. My HD200 seems to be going to sleep to

Which, as you say, would be find if you could power on the extender and it would wake the server
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
Thats interesting, I think I'm seeing a similar problem. I just added a HD200 so my server/client is now server only. Even though control panel -> power says always on, i'm seeing it go to sleep after a few hours not being used. My HD200 seems to be going to sleep to

Which, as you say, would be find if you could power on the extender and it would wake the server
Funny thing about windows. Even if the Power Scheme say power always on. You need to make sure under the the setting that System Standby is set to NEVER.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Sage Expert

Looks to me like Sage is responsible :

Code:
Tue 2/17 13:54:31.765 SageTV.deepSleep(true)
Tue 2/17 13:54:31.765 System power is suspending
I upgraded from 6.4.8 to 6.5.8 recently in preparation for getting my HD200.
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok so I finally got around to testing this with my server in standby and have a manual entry for SageServers by a static IP (my server has a static). I have the box Auto-Connect checked using the latest beta for HD200.

If the sage server is ON when I turn on the HD200 it auto-connects. If the sage server is in Standby the HD200 does not auto-connect and just goes straight to StandAlone mode. From there I can select my Manual Sage Server entry and it does in fact wakeup the server and connect. However this does not even pass MAF (My Acceptance Factor) nevermind WAF.

Do others see a similar response? It seems if you have a manual entry that auto-connect should try that, from what I can tell it does not.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post
If the sage server is ON when I turn on the HD200 it auto-connects. If the sage server is in Standby the HD200 does not auto-connect and just goes straight to StandAlone mode. From there I can select my Manual Sage Server entry and it does in fact wakeup the server and connect. However this does not even pass MAF (My Acceptance Factor) nevermind WAF.

Do others see a similar response? It seems if you have a manual entry that auto-connect should try that, from what I can tell it does not.
I don't have an HD200, but the HD100 works the same way (with the exception of being able to use a manual entry). If my server is in standby the HD100 won't wake it up when I turn it on, the power light comes on and you can see the LAN light blink but I get a blank screen. It will stay that way till I turn it off or wake the server, at which point it connects as normal.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If the sage server is ON when I turn on the HD200 it auto-connects. If the sage server is in Standby the HD200 does not auto-connect and just goes straight to StandAlone mode.
I wish I could test this on mine, but it's still stuck on all the time and I can't get an outage from the Minister for TV Viewing to debug it

If mine is running and I turn on the client I actually have two entries in the server list (when I skip autoconnect and go into Sage Servers - one is my manually created entry and the other is the auto-discovered one). If it's not running, I only have my manual entry. Is yours the same?

I've been meaning to telnet into the HD200 and see if there are these same two options in the properties files as the normal PC client:
Code:
autoconnect_server_hostname=xxxx
autodiscover_servers=xxxx
In which case I'll set the auto discover option to false and the auto connect I'll hard-code to the IP address. I'm guessing that'll do the trick. The only catch then will be whether the autoconnect will wait long enough for the server to resume or whether it'll immediately just give up and go to standalone mode. That might be what you guys are seeing and in that case I think we're out of options?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I wish I could test this on mine, but it's still stuck on all the time and I can't get an outage from the Minister for TV Viewing to debug it

If mine is running and I turn on the client I actually have two entries in the server list (when I skip autoconnect and go into Sage Servers - one is my manually created entry and the other is the auto-discovered one). If it's not running, I only have my manual entry. Is yours the same?

I've been meaning to telnet into the HD200 and see if there are these same two options in the properties files as the normal PC client:
Code:
autoconnect_server_hostname=xxxx
autodiscover_servers=xxxx
In which case I'll set the auto discover option to false and the auto connect I'll hard-code to the IP address. I'm guessing that'll do the trick. The only catch then will be whether the autoconnect will wait long enough for the server to resume or whether it'll immediately just give up and go to standalone mode. That might be what you guys are seeing and in that case I think we're out of options?
My HD200 has the same lists of servers as you see.

I know the HD200 is not even sending a request to the manual entry when I turn it on, because if any TCP/IP traffic is sent to the server that would trigger it to wake. When I turn on the HD200 and it goes to standalone because my server is in standby, I check to see if the server woke up (which it would if it was pinged) and it has not. So true the HD200 may timeout before the server is woken, however it is not even to that point yet.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Where on the HD200 is the file that would contain the settings you mention? I can not seem to find it.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Where on the HD200 is the file that would contain the settings you mention? I can not seem to find it.
Any type of settings files for extender clients are on the server in the client directory. They are .properties files name named by the MAC address of the extender.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Any type of settings files for extender clients are on the server in the client directory. They are .properties files name named by the MAC address of the extender.
It's true that's where the extender files are located but they only come into play once the HD200 has found and connected to the Sage server, which all happens after the part we're interested in. The startup action is controlled within the HD200 settings.

Unfortunately I don't think there's going to be any file to make the changes I was hoping. There's a Sage.properties.defaults file in the Sage folder on the HD200, but I'm not sure if you can modify this or if it's read-only (firmware) and I'm not too keen to play around with it. Maybe our best bet is to all submit support requests asking for this feature, that way the Sage guys can figure out a proper solution for us - ideally the unit would send a magic packet to the server registered on the autoconnect list as I've found it's network traffic that's keeping my server on now as I had to change it to wake on any directed packet just so the extender could wake it up.

@m1abrams:
I get the same as you - it says discovering sage servers, then immediately hops into stand-alone mode - the server stays asleep, so it hasn't even tried to contact the IP address
Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I will file a support request, please if others will to maybe Sage will solve this problem.

They already have the server software designed to handle standby, they should get the clients to be able to wake it.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Bug report/enhancement request filed!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Bug report/enhancement request filed!
Mine came back with the "That is not a current feature but will pass along to the developers".

My issue with that response is that I feel this should be treated as a bug and not a feature. The fact that the auto-connect does NOT work with a manual entry is a bug. What if you have a separate subnet for your server, I bet discovery will not work in that case however if auto-connect would work on a manual setting it would still auto-connect but as it stands it will not.

Besides the fact that Sage has put effort into making the server operate correctly with power saving features yet make that effort completely wasted by not designing in appropriate support on THEIR client machine is just wrong.

On the same topic I think they should make it an option to have the hd200 not go into standalone mode UNLESS no server is found. If you want to disable this mode have an option within the Sage interface to set a flag that the HD200 reads on reboot to go into standalone mode. This would speed up boot time a good bit. While the current boot time is not horrible, it seems very pointless for me to wait every time i turn it on since I have no need for standalone mode. Reason time wait maybe a concern is that if they get standby mode on the server to wake up that will be a delay that would be ADDED to the current turn on delay making 2 short delays into a long delay.