SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

New to Satellite - Strategies for good deals?

Contemplating a satellite package - since discovering the HD-PVR could get the HD goodness into SageTV, while I get to maintain control of the content and user experience.

I am fairly adept at the mechanical aspect of the installation. And quite adept at the electrical side. But I see all these package deals with 'professional' installation and 4 receivers etc....

I was wondering of the companies and their representatives are prone to haggle if you say you can do the install yourself, and you decline a PVR capable receiver? I'm guessing not. But have no clue.

What about picking up a recevier or two from Ebay? And just getting it activated after the self-install? Can you negotiate at the time of activation? Say no contract for a term of service. Or get HD tier thrown in on activation?

Or is all this not worth it? Just let them do the install? I am a bit leary that they will attempt a hole in the roof - whereas I am thinking mount dish to chimney and come into attic via the soffet, and on to the closet in my office on the second floor where I plan to move my sage box to. And locate the sat receiver(s) and the HD-PVR(s).

Edit:
Any recommendations for which receivers do the best job with the HD PVR?
Do these receivers require a phone line? Or are the new ones dailing the 'mothership' via ethernet.

Last edited by Slack; 01-25-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: More Questions: