SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Java Runtime - Fresh Install Error

Greetings!

I had the luxury of reinstalling my PC yesterday, and when it came time to install Sage, I ran into a hiccup.

After the "Sage" installation was complete, the installer went to put in the (J)ava (R)untime (E)nvironment program 1.4.2ish. It prepared to install for a while, hanging, then errored out. As expected, Sage will not run without Java.

I ran to the Java site to both install the v2.0 JRE and see what was up, and it would appear that they are having serious issues with their distribution system - couldn't download ANYthing, nevermind the old JRE. This was confirmed by posts seen on USENET, although not mentioned by Sun anywhere. The Sage installer must use the Internet to download the JRE during it's installation rather than carry the files with it.

Is there any place I can go to get the JRE required for Sage to operate? Sun lists no mirrors. Can this be distributed through Frey at all? The Java site seems to have been down for a while now, and to be honest, it's holding me up from recording and archiving my favorite broadcast shows!

Any assistance would be helpful!
-Greg
Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Probably won't be helpful but....
Have you tried reinstalling Sage with the installer you downloaded and/or have you tried downloading Sage again in case your DL was corrupted?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Those were my first two steps.

Install from my archived master installer...
Re-download from Frey the master installer and do it again.

Both times it hung at the Java install - either it needs to download components from Sun, *or* it's trying to talk back to register itself with Sun. I'll try it while disconnected from the Internet to see if it gets any farther that way - I can't imagine SageTV users ALL have cable connections, or are still dialed in to the Internet when installing, so there has to be a workaround. Maybe if it sees no connection to the internet it will bypass that step, presuming it's not crucial to the install.

-Greg
Old 03-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, attempting the install disconnected from the Internet makes the install of java fail instantly. At least I didn't have to wait for it to time out!

Can anyone (official or otherwise) provide a solution for getting Sage to work if we can't get through to the official Sun Java site?

-Greg
Old 03-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Sage Expert

You would figure someone else would have the install to Java some where but I can not find anyone else who does.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:30 PM

Don't the builds of 1.4 come with the runtimes for Java?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can anyone from Frey comment on this?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found a backdoor download link to grab the "standard" edition of the runtime environment, which I presume is bigger (aka: more useless items than needed) than the "plugin" you download via the web installer.

I installed this edition and it cured the problems I was having with my Java-dependant programs, including Sage, so give it a shot if you're stuck.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

(3rd block down, titled "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_03")

All set! Sage is working and I am a happy camper.

Thanks for your help and reading!
-Greg
Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

If that's too much effort, here's another alternative to get Java -- you can download and install the Opera web browser http://www.opera.com . The windows version comes in two varieties -- with Java and without.

I like Opera and use it routinely. It is much less of a target for the bad guys than I.E. is. But, you don't really need to run it, you can just use it as a handy solution for installing Java.

Terry
Old 03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

The sun site is back up just got the java
Old 03-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah - I got into work and discovered I had an email from the "Support Message" I sent in through their website. Not that my one complaint would have brought about anything, I wanted to be sure they knew there were lots of people waiting on them.

So yeah - the normal download methods are back.