SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Monitor low power mode

I have a client machine set up with Sage in the kids' playroom. It uses a 17" LCD monitor hooked up to the VGA port via an FX 5200 card as the TV. I had it set up previously so that if you press a certain button on the remote, EventGhost puts the monitor into low power mode. With Sage running, it seems like the UI turns the monitor back on every few minutes. Has anyone else run into this, and is there a solution? I prefer not to use the Sage screen saver both to save power and also because the light will keep me up at night, it's directly across from our bedroom door.

Thanks

Rob
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you thought about windows (assume) power management?

Let sage do it's own thing as far as screensavers etc, but set your power management to turn off the screen after so many minutes inactivity. I use this on mine, and also have the clients drop into standby after 30 minutes.

When sage is playing something it is seen as activity and therefore it won't switch off unless you are not using it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetc View Post
Have you thought about windows (assume) power management?

Let sage do it's own thing as far as screensavers etc, but set your power management to turn off the screen after so many minutes inactivity. I use this on mine, and also have the clients drop into standby after 30 minutes.

When sage is playing something it is seen as activity and therefore it won't switch off unless you are not using it.
I'll give it a shot. That didn't work with BeyondTV because it wasn't seen as activity but Sage seems to act different so maybe it'll work out. I'll report back,tx.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
I'll give it a shot. That didn't work with BeyondTV because it wasn't seen as activity but Sage seems to act different so maybe it'll work out. I'll report back,tx.
5 clients here say it'll be fine
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Worked very groovy, tx. And increased WAF will result since no extra button press is necessary to turn the monitor off or on.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Hiya

Out of interest, are you able to bring the monitor out of standby using the remote ?
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
Hiya

Out of interest, are you able to bring the monitor out of standby using the remote ?
Yup I'm using an old TiVo peanut remote and I have the TiVo button linked to the main menu and that brings it out. I think any function would bring it out but since you're doing it blind, "Main Menu" is the safest command.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

You mentioned you're using eventghost. What hardware are you using for the capture and transmit? USBUIRT, or something else?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
Yup I'm using an old TiVo peanut remote and I have the TiVo button linked to the main menu and that brings it out. I think any function would bring it out but since you're doing it blind, "Main Menu" is the safest command.
Not sure if it's just my set up but the first button press (any button) is ignored, it purely wakes the box if power management is active. Sage just comes back to where it was before the screen went off.
Typically, following this thread, I have just set up squeezecenter and the related slimplayer plugin on some of my clients and it appears to stop them going into standby
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
You mentioned you're using eventghost. What hardware are you using for the capture and transmit? USBUIRT, or something else?
Yup, a USB-UIRT. But now that I have solved this problem (turning monitor off via power management) I actually don't even need eventghost anymore. One more reason I'm happy with my switch to Sage.