SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Sage User

HDHomeRun + ZoneAlarm = Pixelation

I was wondering if anyone has run into the same issue. I have a new HDHR that I only have connected to OTA HD for now. When I watch a channel using the VLC media player, or on the server using SageTV I get quite a lot of pixelation. I've noticed that the CPU is running really high and is the cause. vsmon.exe (which I believe is the real time virus scanner from the Zone Alarm Security Suite that I have installed) runs at about 20-25% when I watch anything on the server. Its not as bas when I watch it on the HD100, but there is still some pixelation. If I shut down Zone Alarm then it seems to be enough to bring the CPU down to a point where its not the bottleneck anymore when watching on either the server or the extender. I have a 6 year old Pentium 4 3.0GHz machine with 1.5GB RAM. So I know I'm not running top the of line hardware here. But I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and knows of a way to set up an exception or something in ZoneAlarm so that it will not monitor any HDHR activity.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage Icon

The problem may be Zone Alarm itself. My brother-in-law was using Zone Alarm, and I found that was drastically slowing down his computer. You might consider removing Zone Alarm and use another product that does not drain the life out of a computer.

Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

HDHR support pages state that "older" versions of Zone Alarm can cause problems. I uninstalled up to date Zone Alarm and it fixed many of the lingering issues with my HDPVR. It didn't matter how I set the permissions in Zone Alarm the only thing that worked was to pitch it. The HDHR was just installed and it appears to be working fine.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

Had to ditch ZA in favor of Comodo. There's a thread or a few posts on this somewhere. I haven't tried the new ZA that's on the laptop w/ the HDHR yet. Might do that next time I'm off the wireless.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.