SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Sage User

Sage and multiple drives

To my understanding, Sage will still blindly dump new recordings to the drive with the most space (instead of whichever drive is idle).

I have Sage folders setup on 3 drives: 2 500gig drives and a single 750gig drive.

Obviously, I don't want sage pounding the 750 and ignoring the 500's. So, by any chance would this idea work.....

If I set Sage up to use all but 250gig of worth of drive space on the 750gigger (meaning, only use 500gig of it max), will sage this view that drive differently? Will sage this subtract that "250gig" from it's calculations of the 750gig drive as it's determining which drive has the most free space?

I'm suspecting the answer is no, but I'm hoping for a yes.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes. That's what that setting is for: to tell Sage how much of that drive is available for recordings. It will choose the drive with the most space available by that measure.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

On a related note: I wished SageTV would use more than one drive when recording multiple movies.

I have 8 drives and 2 tuner cards. To help with defragmentation, it would be nice to have it record one tunner on one drive while recording the 2nd tunner on a different drive.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
On a related note: I wished SageTV would use more than one drive when recording multiple movies.

I have 8 drives and 2 tuner cards. To help with defragmentation, it would be nice to have it record one tunner on one drive while recording the 2nd tunner on a different drive.
I'll have to check that when I'm recording next time (or I guess I could watch LiveTV on Placeshifter and a MediaMVP); I thought that was how it behaved when the drives were close to balanced in terms of empty space. I could be wrong about that, however.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
I'll have to check that when I'm recording next time (or I guess I could watch LiveTV on Placeshifter and a MediaMVP); I thought that was how it behaved when the drives were close to balanced in terms of empty space. I could be wrong about that, however.
Lets say all drives are almost identically filled, except for drive x which has say 1% less data and two movies start recording at the same time.

Bingo, drive x is selected for both movies.

Now after both movies are done recording, drive y has the least data and again, two movies start recording at the same time. Bingo, drive y is now used to record both new movies. Repeat this same pattern for 8 drives and you have SUPER FRAGMENTATION across all/most of your drives on your system
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Sage User

If you have 8 drives then why don't you create a software or (even better) hardware raid 5 array on some of these drives (if they are the same size)
You can also span a partition over multiple drives.
I think you should look at the problem that way and don't see it as a sagetv problem.
I'm using an hardware raid 10 , build from 4 500 gig drives with 2 partitions, on for windows and program files and the other one for pictures, videos music and recordings.... works like a charm and a raid 10 is performing very fast...