SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

How can I make the Green Button open SageTV?

my current setup consists of

SageTV 6.4
Microsoft eHome IR Blaster/Receiver
Microsoft MCE Remote
Microsft MCE Keyboard
IMon USB VFD
LCDSmartie
HIP

Currently SageTV works great with the MCE Remote, I can change channels, navigate all the menus and do all the functions I need. I have LCDSmartie setup doing all of the VFD displays on my IMon unit and the MCE Keyboard is great for navigating both in and out of Sage.

The issue is that if SageTV crashes I have to use the keyboard to restart Sage via the Desktop icon. I can't press the Green Button on the keyboard or the remote to start Sage the way I could with MCE.

I have tried the Green Button utility that was in the downloads section of this site but it didn't work. I have tried using Event Ghost which seemed to conflict with HIP because when Event Ghost would work my channel changing would stop working, when the channel changing works Event Ghost does not. There was a replacement driver recommended for use with Event Ghost but when I tried that the remote just didn't work at all.

I tried using the utility in HIP but that did not work either. I could try using the IMon software to remap the key but then I would loose my 3rd party driver support for LCD Smartie.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions for a solution?

-Striker-
Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 AM
SageTVaholic

try this
Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Brent,

That is the utility I found in the downloads section and it did not work.

I will try the LM Remote application that is also suggested in the post you linked, but that will require removing HIP and switching my channel changing over to LM Remote. Not that I mind doing this, its just taken a while to perfect HIP and get it working reliably that I am nervous to start changing that aspect of my media center.

Thanks!

-Striker-
Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Try the newer version of the SageTV Launcher then.

Let me know how it goes. When you say doesn't work, is it just not doing anything at all, giving you an error or what?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Sage User

I use a nifty little program called EventGhost.

It has an input plugin specifically for the MCE remote; just map an event for the green button to launch the app.

If your remote doesn't work with the MCE plugin (for example, if it's not an actual MS remote), you can still map a generic HID device and it'll do the same thing.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Brent,

That is the version I tried, and it doesn't do anything. I don't get an error message, nothing visibly tries to happen and I don't see anything erroring out in my system event log.

Tom,

As stated above, I have tried Event Ghost. Its an awesome utility. Unfortunately, When I use the standard Microsoft Driver Event Ghost doesn't work with the MCE Remote (its an official Microsoft MCE remote). When I use the special driver, then the channel changing in HIP stops working.

I would really like it if Event Ghost worked because then I could map other functions to the remote for other applications, but right now i'd just be happy if i could restart Sage when it crashes.

-Striker-
Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Sage User

You need to go to the EventGhost forums and download the newest version. They have changed it so you no longer need the replacement driver; EG should trap the green button now with the official driver.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
When I use the standard Microsoft Driver Event Ghost doesn't work with the MCE Remote (its an official Microsoft MCE remote). When I use the special driver, then the channel changing in HIP stops working.
You can also try my software (see signature), you'll be able to customize all buttons on your MCE remote and also replace HIP for using the MCE Blaster within SageTV.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomXP411 View Post
You need to go to the EventGhost forums and download the newest version. They have changed it so you no longer need the replacement driver; EG should trap the green button now with the official driver.
I tried that. Unfortunately its the same issue. Event Ghost works Channel Changing via HIP starts to fail.

Channel Changing in HIP works then EG fails

-Striker-
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
You can also try my software (see signature), you'll be able to customize all buttons on your MCE remote and also replace HIP for using the MCE Blaster within SageTV.

Regards,
Stéphane.
I tried LM Remote and its working great for remapping the green button but it will not work for the channel changing. It keeps telling me that the IR blaster is unavailable.

Also, is there a way to map the command ALT+F4 to the Power button so I can use that as a Close Application button?

Also, Sage seems to have issues with opening full screen with focus, it seems to open with the start menu having focus. I was able to get around it by using the Full Screen Exclusive setting in Sage but I was wondering if there was any way I could get around it with LM Remote?

-Striker-
Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
It keeps telling me that the IR blaster is unavailable.
You have to make sure no other application is trying to use the blaster. Also if you are on XP choose "MCE IR Blaster", if you are on Vista choose "Vista MCE IR Blaster". Then you can review the log files (svc_tracexxxxxxxx.log) in the config & log folder that you can open from the LM RKM taskbar notification icon.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to map the command ALT+F4 to the Power button so I can use that as a Close Application button?
Yes you have two options:

* enable the "Exclusive use..." from within the "Setup Remote" dialog
* disable from the Windows Control Panel the "Standby" feature for the PC Sleep button (choose "Do Nothing" instead)

Then the "Power" button will by default close applications (the default action is the same as Alt+F4)

Quote:
Also, Sage seems to have issues with opening full screen with focus, it seems to open with the start menu having focus. I was able to get around it by using the Full Screen Exclusive setting in Sage but I was wondering if there was any way I could get around it with LM Remote?
Yes you can use, after the "LauchApplication" action, a "Pause" action (let it pause for enough time so that the SageTV window is visible) then use a "AppActivate" action to give SageTV the focus.

Regards,
Stéphane.