SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Transcoder multi-threading working for anyone?

I have a dual core cpu and when transcoding shows one core will max out while the other is doing next to nothing. I've checked the properties file setting and it seems to be correct, but it appears only 1 core is being utilized.

I was just wondering if anyone has confirmed that the transcoder is utilizing more than 1 core and if anyone else is seeing the same problem I am.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage User

I am having the same problem with my quad core on the last two betas. Changing xcode_process_num_threads from values of 0-4 has no impact. All of my recordings are from the HD-PVR.

While compressing a standard recording in the background isn't a big deal (but again seems single threaded), I have to reduce the quality in Placeshifter to ridiculously low levels (10 fps, >300K) to keep the single sagetvtranscoder thread from being overloaded. Makes Placeshifter almost unusable for me.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

From support:

"We've also fixed the multi-threading problem. (although there are limitations on how much it actually multi-threads; it won't end up maxing out all of your cores; but it'll be better than without it)"
Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the info Blade, maybe that explains what I am seeing. I just tried the new RC and I still see sagetvtranscoder at exactly 25% CPU usage on a quad core. I tried setting the number of threads to 8 and the process priority default to Normal, with no noticeable change in the process' behavior.

Subjectively, things do seem slightly little less jittery in Dynamic PlaceShifting, but I am still experiencing a lot of stuttering, especially after reseeking. I have to pause, allow it to buffer and hit play again for things to smooth out for a bit.

I think my Placeshifter issue might be manageable if I could force a definable ( 15-60 second) re-buffer after each stutter / fast forward / seek. Anyone (Sage reps?) know if this is possible? I can deal with the occasional rebuffering, but audio cutouts and hiccups drive me bananas.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Oops just read my post and I had cut off part of the message because I had a couple of issues and only posted the one that applied to this thread. It should have read that they had the issue resolved for the next release.