SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Sage Expert

WHo was provided client license to use HD200 in 6.4?

Like many, I picked up an HD200 recently. It's yet to be delivered but I tossed a message through support to find out how I would run it with 6.4 since 6.5 has not yet been released.

The support person who replied said I'd need a client license. So "no problem" I think to myself.

I send a reply asking for a client license to be issued once I receive the HD200 and if 6.5 has not yet been released. "Unfortunately, we can't do that" is what I get back.

I fully understand trying to get hardware out as quickly as possible and hitting that sweet Christmas rush, but is it too much to expect that I can actually use the hardware once I've purchased it without waiting an undetermined amount of time for a new version of SageTV to be released?

I've been pretty good about the whole thing and if 6.5 is released by the time the unit arrives the whole issue is of course moot. I'm also next to positive I read at least one other person who received a couple of client licenses to be able to continue using 6.4 with the new hardware.

The HD200 was bought to set up along my in-use SageTV setup. This is not a test system I can afford to install a beta release on. I'd never think of rolling something out in this way with my own business, but that said, the remedy seems to be so simple since the mechanism is already in place to allow 6.4 to stream to the HD200.

If there's some incompatibility then that would have been information more useful than simply denying a client license to use the product I just bought.

Normally one would hold the retail/public hardware release until the software is ready to go. The product is definitely advertised with SageTV 6.5 specified, however it is not advertised as a test/beta product.

How many people are running the HD200 with 6.4 using newly issued client licenses?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Sage Icon

Your SOL unless you download the beta or have a previous purchased license.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I saw this on the web page:
Quote:
(*Requires SageTV Media Center Version 6.5 or later
and HD TV Tuner)
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=HD

B
Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
...I'm also next to positive I read at least one other person who received a couple of client licenses to be able to continue using 6.4 with the new hardware...
I don't think so. (could be wrong, I suppose.. )

Quote:
...How many people are running the HD200 with 6.4 using newly issued client licenses?
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is zero, unless they bought the licenses. Sage 6.5 is required unless you purchase a client license.

I agree with you about requiring beta software in order to use a shipping product. Seems a bit odd. But it seems most folks here are willing to install the latest anything related to Sage... FWIW, I have installed Sage beta 6.5 and beta firmware for the HD200, and have had zero issues that haven't been fixed in the next beta.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 PM
SageTVaholic

If you already have an extender or Placeshifter license, it will work with that. If this is your first extender of any kind, and you've never used Placeshifter, then as noted you'll need to either buy a license, download the beta, or wait for the release.