SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

New server build - migration steps

Hey guys,

My athlon xp 2000 + cpu died ( Thank God), so I am upgrading tonight, here is my proposed plan.

Can you guys think of anything else?

If you are wondering why I'm testing WMP and Graphedit so much, it's because even with my existing system, I never could get graphedit to make a working graph of HS shows.

PLAN BELOW

Action

Pre-install

Step 1 Image Sagetv system
Step 2 Backup Sage.properties, wiz.bin, and registry
Step 3 Locate Sage server and client SN
Step 4 Backup or screenshot dirmon
Step 5 Backup or screenshot Show Analyzer

Total Estimated Time
Actual Time

Actual Install

Step 1 Install OS and all Drivers
Step 2 Perform all Windows Updates
Step 3 Install latest Java
Step 4 Connect aux drives (F and G)
Step 5 Try to view HD show in WMP
Step 6 Install graphedit -check HD show
Step 7 Install Purevideo
Step 8 Use graphedit - check HD show
Step 9 Try to view HD show in WMP
Step 10 Install and configure AC3 filter - setup for Spdif
Step 11 Try to view HD show in WMP
Step 12 Install Firestb.msi for STB drivers
Step 13 Verify STB locations using timmoore
Step 14 Install HD-Homerun drivers
Step 15 Locate all OTA HD channel mappings
Step 16 Install Sagetv
Step 17 Install SageMC
Step 18 Import sage.properties and wiz.bin
Step 19 Import sage registry items
Step 20 Install and configure Dirmon
Step 21 Install and configure Show Analyzer

Total Estimated Time
Actual Time
Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I feel for you, I moved my server from under my stairs this week into my loft to where all my new network cabling converges. When I restarted it the clock had reset so I took the time to replace the battery. The following morning it had locked up and cutting a long story short after a bit of fiddling to figure what was giving up on me the bios chip died. This is a soldered chip so the board is essentially junk. I searched for a replacement and couldn't find one to suit. The only spare I have is in my desktop and as I tend to run them until they no longer do everything I want to the hardware is difficult to find new. Only minimal spec boards with sis chipsets seem to be available at suppliers that can deliver before xmas and it's too late for ebay and postal delivery here. I am very wary of ebay components too. I am working over the weekend too which leaves little time available for travelling to obtain parts. This has left me with no option but to rebuild with new locally sourced high priced parts if I wish to make sure I have it running for xmas. So annoying!

I have been pretty limited for choice as money is tight being christmas but I found locally an Abit AN52V mainboard and a phenom 8450 and the necessary bits to upgrade the server. Hoping it will all go in my favour and that the hardware is ok.

ps. looks like a good plan, I notice the estimated times are blank, lol

Last edited by planetc; 12-19-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: I forgot a bit?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

It wasn't that bad, used a slipstreamed XPsp3 disc and the entire process took aprox 5 hours.

Estimated time was 20 hours

Make sure you get a copy of all you old directories, first and simply recopy over after the reinstall, makes things MUCH fasater.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

hmmmm...luckier chap than I then.

It transpired that my 'new' mainboard was running an old bios and didn't support the 'new' processor! In the absence of anything to put in it's place in order to update I had to return it. A long story but some hours later I was built up and reinstalling everything on an intel dual core board instead.

It's seperate bits for epg here in the uk remember, so twice as much to set up . My wiz.bin was corrupt and the most recent copy I had was next to useless. I figured I'd start over as it is only the last six months that it's really been used the way it should be. The most annoying part was the time spent to go back retweak 3 or 4 years of tinkering. I had documented much of my settings fortunately and shall be backing up wiz.bins from here on too!
On the plus side, overall performance is significantly improved with a highly responsive ui on the clients, no lag, no occasional jitters on playback. I'm really happy with the end result.