SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Client won't play server DVDs

On my SageTV server I have a number of ripped DVDs. I can play these fine on the server itself and on an extender, so I'm sure they are fine.

However, using SageTV Client on another PC does not work. I can see them all in the Media browser but as soon as I press watch I get the attach error.

Both Server and Client are the same version, 6.4.8.

For testing, I have installed a local copy of SageTV Server on the Client PC and copied one of the DVD folders to the client. Using the local server version of sagetv I can play them fine. I have the same codec and media settings on both the local server version and the sagetv client version, so don't think it is settings.

It just seems to be the transfer from the Server to the Client that is broken, and only on DVD vidoes. Music, streamed DVB and other avi files are perfect.

I'm at a totally loss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss1.jpg (27.0 KB, 351 views)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

The paths need to be setup so that they're identical on the client as on the server, ie if you enter the path Sage reports at the run command on the client it will take you to the same place.

DVDs aren't streamed through the server, Client reads them directly, and only knows to look where the server sees them.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure I quite understand what you are saying?

On the server you specify the paths to the various media files. These may be on non shared drives on the server, right. On the client you just specify the IP of the server? Not sure what paths on the client you mean?

Do you mean I need to set the DVD's up on a shared network drive?

Last edited by moamoa; 10-03-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

You either need to use UNC path (\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME) for the Import folder where the DVDs are stored or you need to map a drive on the client that duplicates the path on the server.
So if the DVDs on the server are stored in D:\DVDs, then you have to map it to a network drive on the client using the D:\ so when the client tries to play the DVD it looks in the same location on the client as it is on the server.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sorted.

Thanks.