SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Expert

Question HD solution for multiple recording?

I'm going into sensory overload looking at my options for HD recording.

I currently record SD via cable into 2 Hauppauge cards (3 tuners total) with the cable line split, amplified and then reouted to each tuner.

Will a simple setup like this be possible with HD? Do the internal HD cards work as well as the external / networked/ stand alone counterparts do?

I really like the HDHR, but only because it uses coax cable for the tuners. The others I see use component connections, which would mean I need a separate tuner box for each signal.

I regularly record 2-3 channels at a time, so I do need at least 3 tuners preferibly 4. I do not mind upgrading/ replacing my current rig, in fact I was planning on it.

Raymond

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

I have 2 HDHR and love it. If you have OTA or unencrypted QAM source, the HDHR works well. Just remember only can do UNENCRYPTED QAM and OTA.

I have a 100MB network and I'm maxed out with my 2 HDHRs (using about 20MB per channel max with the beta fix or not it will use 40MB per channel). If you get a GB network/card then you can have more.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp View Post
I'm going into sensory overload looking at my options for HD recording.

I currently record SD via cable into 2 Hauppauge cards (3 tuners total) with the cable line split, amplified and then reouted to each tuner.

Will a simple setup like this be possible with HD? Do the internal HD cards work as well as the external / networked/ stand alone counterparts do?

I really like the HDHR, but only because it uses coax cable for the tuners. The others I see use component connections, which would mean I need a separate tuner box for each signal.

I regularly record 2-3 channels at a time, so I do need at least 3 tuners preferibly 4. I do not mind upgrading/ replacing my current rig, in fact I was planning on it.

Raymond
Building on what QueOnda said, you need to decide if you want to record only the Local Stations in HD, or if you want to record Cable Channels in HD, like DiscoveryHD, HBOHD etc....., or both.

If you only want the locals, you can choose any internal or external ATSC/QAM tuner you want, like the HDHR, or Hauppauge HVR 1800.

If you want to do the other stuff, you have to have a cable/satellite box, to do the decrypting, then output component to an HDPVR.

I do both, two HDHR's for locals, then two HDPVR's for the other stuff.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Sage Icon

another advantage of the HDHR is that you don't need an STB, nor do you need to worry about channel changing method, it just works. But as others mentioned, you are limited to only unencrypted channels, which means cbs, nbc, abc, fox, pbs, etc.

the HD-PVR is the only component input one. But it allows you to record any channel from an STB. And you need an STB. Also, you need a method to change channels from the PC to the STB.

There are PCI tuners that work well, but I highly recommend the HDHR and HD-PVR over them.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
There are PCI tuners that work well, but I highly recommend the HDHR and HD-PVR over them.
Just to add to the other side (other options besides HDHR) - I have 2 Avermedia M780s and 2 Hauppaugue 1800s that record HD OTA perfectly - no network issues, no tuning issue, no issues what-so-ever. 4 perfect streams of HD using 0 network bandwidth.

I have recorded 4 HD channels and played 5 HD streams at the same time without issue without changing my network topology (100MB).

Not saying HDHR isn't a great option - just bringing up the other side
Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

Just to add my $0.02, I have the HDHR and really like it, but then if you have a PCI-e slot free, the Hauppauge HVR-2250 has both analog and digital. Really helps when you have both, and that lets you deicate the HDHR to HD, and the 2250 can either back it up, or get you analog or a SD cable box.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)