SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

The most recent release of Playon works better with SageTV HD200. Netflix does work (although I'm not seeing very many movies in the selection) and CBS now works.

Navigation of the playon menus via the HD200 quite frankly stinks. Hope that can be improved some.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have the most recent beta version of playon and HD200 firmware, and I only get 3 empty folders to show up in Netflix. Hulu works, but is extremely slow to navigate.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

You'll need to access Netflix from your PC and put movies you want to watch in queue. You can then watch those movies from HD200. Everything seems to be working with the latest PlayOn.

Routers: DIR-655 and DIR-825 Bridges: 2xDAP-1522.
Installed: WHS OS, SageTV for WHS, PlayOn and Orb.
SageTV Plugins: PlayOn in OnLine Services.
SageTV clients: HD-200->Samsung LN52A750 and HD-100->Samsung LN40A650
Clients: 5 HP laptops, home built PC, iMac, PS3, PSP, XBox360, 3 iPhones 3gs (through OrbLive).
Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have 7 movies in my instant queue and none of them show up. The playon server software says that my account is connecting fine. I also noticed that the dates on the right column all display 1/1/00 11:00AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Have you upgraded your HD200 to latest beta firmware? Latest beta should be dated 12/19/08.

Routers: DIR-655 and DIR-825 Bridges: 2xDAP-1522.
Installed: WHS OS, SageTV for WHS, PlayOn and Orb.
SageTV Plugins: PlayOn in OnLine Services.
SageTV clients: HD-200->Samsung LN52A750 and HD-100->Samsung LN40A650
Clients: 5 HP laptops, home built PC, iMac, PS3, PSP, XBox360, 3 iPhones 3gs (through OrbLive).
Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Actually, it is 1222. They released last night.

B
Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had the one on 12/19 already installed, and unfortunately the one they released last night had no effect either. I have 3 folders in Netflix (Genre, Alphabetical, and Queue Top 50). The alphabetical one has some folders in it, but they, like the others, are all empty. Hulu, CBS and ESPN are all fine.

I sent a support request to MediaMall and this is the reply I got from them.

"Your logs show that PlayOn recieved a browse command for the Netflix Top 50 folder, and returned the following 7 items. If SageTV did not display them, it sounds like an issue with the SageTV."

I submitted a bug request with Sage.

Last edited by simonen; 12-23-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I only got a message on the Playon server about needing to upgrade to the unlimited plan for Netflix. I doubt if I do that, but I was able to see some things in the queue. Didn't test much though. I also do see the CBS and hulu stuff all in there. Screen navigation doesn't seem too slow, but I have nothing to compare it to really. It is good enough for me! I browsed to Hulu to watch Chuck in HD and it looked great. I'm satisfied!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am running 1223 firmware and the latest Playon server. I don't have it registered yet. Is there a time limit on playback with the trial version? I was watching an episode of Chuck and all of a sudden right in the middle of the show it kicked me back to the episode list. I have had that happen a couple times where during the episode at some random time playback stops and I get kicked back. Bummer!

Scott
(1) KWorld 115 ATSC Tuner OTA
(1) HD200 HDMI to Samsung 50" Plasma
(1) MediaMVP to 19" in bedroom

SageTV 7.0.23 release
Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've not seen any mention of a time limit from their forums, only a 14 day limit for the trial. I've not had any problems with Chuck episodes or any other shows on Hulu, but I registered it almost right away (because I found the software pretty useful).

There was a bug on the Playon version before the current 2.59.3274 that had an issue of shows ending a little early, but it was only when viewing through an xbox 360.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I saw that over there, and also saw something about running uPNP on the router. I am running Tomato firmware on a Linksys box and had uPNP turned on. I turned that off, and also set the TCP port for Hulu to a higher priority in my QOS settings (port 1935) and I managed to get through an entire episode of Chuck. Another thing I did was disable the Windows firewall entirely on the box Playon is running on. I did too many things at once to be a good troubleshoot! Holding my breath...
(1) KWorld 115 ATSC Tuner OTA
(1) HD200 HDMI to Samsung 50" Plasma
(1) MediaMVP to 19" in bedroom

SageTV 7.0.23 release
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wish I could figure out why my netflix instant watch queue will not show up on the extender. Hulu and everything else seems to work ok. Is anyone else having this problem besides me?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I have the same issues.

Only one show series showed up in my Netflix queue (Jericho) and I was able to watch long enough to see that it worked. However, I could get nothing else to show up in my queue. And my Hulu queue was always empty.

I suspect that I needed to "refresh" the directory, and _wait_ for it to finish, but my PlayOn trial has expired so I can't test this.

I'd really prefer that Sage adds support for Netflix and Hulu without using PlayOn as an intermediary. My Sage server doesn't have the horsepower for realtime rendering that PlayOn seems to be doing...so I've got PlayOn installed on my Vista box.

Maybe I should just pay PlayOn the $30 and consider it an experiment.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have purchased PlayOn. Refreshing or waiting a long time doesn't seem to help me.

Personally, I think that improving support for PlayOn would reduce problems in the future trying to keep up with Hulu and Netflix changing their feeds all the time. That can be left up to playon to take care of, since their customer base is so much larger with support for the ps3 and xbox, etc. IMHO
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

MediaMall just released a new version (2.59.3290).

Release note:

Quote:
Version 2.59.3290
Released 04 January 2009

Features and Changes

* This is release candidate 4.
* Improvements to Netflix login and queue retrieval, especially for systems with Internet Explorer 6 (though IE 7 is still highly recommended).
* Reduced chances for faulty or corrupt playback for Netflix videos.
* Added custom error messaging to help users identify specific problems when they occur.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.

Known Issues

* Netflix video sessions not properly closed in all cases, which may block PC browser access for up to 2 hours after starting a Netflix movie through PlayOn.
* Netflix Instant Queue changes through PC browser may take up to 10 minutes to be reflected through PlayOn. Restarting the server will force an update.
* Changes to a given Hulu Queue may not be immediately reflected through PlayOn.
* Memory usage can increase over time (we recommend restarting the server regularly until this issue is resolved).
* Videos are missing in the total counts for CBS (100 maximum).
Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Still no luck for me. All netflix folders are empty.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

PlayOn * HD200 * D-Link DSM-750

Hi,
This post might help see if one should wait around, or look at some other option to get more features on the HD200.

I have been real surprised that there has not been a lot more posts requesting the PlayOn function be made a working option on the HD200. This seems to be a big selling point for the 'Solo' features of the HD200.

I first started out with BTV in 2005. Switched to SageTv around end 2006 and am thinking of jumping ship to VMC. A neighbor saw my two setups (SageTV and VMC) and wants to make one like it. However a killer for him on SageTV was how currently you can't make use of Netflix and Hulu etc via PlayOn. I currently have a Roku box next to my HD200 and it runs smoothly via Harmony Remote. But that is frustrating when you may need only the one box to do the trick, The HD200 and we can't use Hulu.

My neighbor liked the HDHomeRun setup and TV side of things, but if spending this amount of $$ wanted to be able to make full use of the extender. In our case Netfilx Hulu and who knows what round the corner.

As I was having some luck with VMC we decided to get a D-Link DSM-750 to compare. Wow! It worked pretty well. Hulu and Netflix works out of the box. UI is OK in 'Solo' mode. It doesn't have the same Netflix features as in Roku player, but the list from my queue shows and I can watch it. Maybe later updates from D-link will have images etc attached to listings. FFwd and Rew had some issues, but we could watch a show all the way through using the pause and play. D-link had just released an update to make it work with PlayOn and a call to D-link tech support said they were in throws of another update. I like the concept of PlayOn as they do the work and the plug-in lets me enjoy the extra features. I don't want to be installing all sorts of addons to SageTv.

SageTv could get left out in the cold here. For Sage to keep its customers it needs to keep up. Sure some of you are going to say VMC won't play this or that file and it can't jump through a triple hoop with some file format most 'general public' users will never worry about. General public customers are not going to look at SageTv as an option if the big boys take over from SageTV in providing a 'package'. A package SageTv could be delivering now.

This is simple question.

How many of you want PlayOn to be a functional part of HD200?
Will we ever see it?

Crunch

* merged *
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Take a look here for Hulu..

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38490
Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Sage User

About Hulu and other uPnP options

For my part Neflix is not a valid option living in Canada. However, I tried various media server like Twonkyvision, TVsersity and Nero Digital home to see what solution I could used to get Internet Radio on my HD-200. None work.

One of the things I have discovered however is that these media server are doing with upnp and DLNA what Sage.TV Software is doing with the media Mvp, the 100 and the 200.

Should one of these solution prevail, it could means the end for Sage. Not only these solutions would support extenders but also DLNA monitor, photo frames and what else?

Sage software is probably due for a major rethink in order to survive.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriter View Post
For my part Neflix is not a valid option living in Canada. However, I tried various media server like Twonkyvision, TVsersity and Nero Digital home to see what solution I could used to get Internet Radio on my HD-200. None work.

One of the things I have discovered however is that these media server are doing with upnp and DLNA what Sage.TV Software is doing with the media Mvp, the 100 and the 200.

Should one of these solution prevail, it could means the end for Sage. Not only these solutions would support extenders but also DLNA monitor, photo frames and what else?

Sage software is probably due for a major rethink in order to survive.
I have no idea what you just said. I think your post might be a little "lost in translation" for me.

What is it that is threatening SageTV's survival??? And what does it have to do with the HD200 and playon (the topic of this thread)?
PlayOn is not the answer to our need to get Netflix or Hulu really. It's just a short-term fix. Long-term we'll get Hulu on all SageTV devices and hopefully more online content after that...

Last edited by Brent; 01-14-2009 at 09:03 AM.