SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Newbie Q --> Running SageTV

I have a question for all you sageTV afficianado's with Ver 2.0+ . I have not tried this, so could someone post what they do?

Ok, I currently put SageTV to sleep everynight and wake up when i watch TV the next day.

For all you ppl who run SageTV 24/7, what do you do with all the junk TV that gets recorder - u know the crap on at 3am on whatever station you where last watching? Deleting them is such a pain in the ass every night.

Also, I only have an 80GB hdrive with craploads left in my library. I'm afraid that SageTV will pick one of the programs I've recorded and record over them as it has done to me in ver 1.3.8 (last ver I used). I do NOT want it recording over the 20 shows i have saved up to wacth on the weekend. ( I save programming for watch when I have free time). I could have 21hrs in library + 15hrs in SageRecordings at any given time. I also use 2GB/hr settings (anything less is dreadful IMO). Hard drive space gets a bit low sometimes.

So here's the question: What do you do with all the junk thats constantly recorded and saved? I don't see an easy way to get rid of the stuff I record.
I remaped my silver remotes yellow button to CTRL+ I to enable deletion of files.

In addition, does anyone know how to make shows nest? I went back to ver 2.11 because 2.12 did not nest recorded shows. ver 2.11 unfortunatly does not roll-up shows in the Library section. Anyway to turn this on in properties or something? This is an awesome idea, nesting shows! Both SageRecordings and the Library need this feature.

Thanks,

-Cab
Old 02-24-2004, 11:48 AM

I still can't duplicate how you guys are getting partial shows to show up in SageRecordings. I sleep Sage after every use and have never seen this. What we need to fix this is something repeatable that we can do. If Sage is recording while it is in Sleep mode this is a bug and will be fixed once Frey can reproduce it.

Also, SageRecordings list is designed to only show complete recordings. Partials should never show up.

Nesting in .12+ probably required you to use the options command in the SageRecordings menu to scroll through the different views. There are 6. Also make sure the auto_categorize property in your Sage properties file is True.

The Library should or will work just like SageRecordings.

The imported Library (Divx and such) can also really be enhanced.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone out there not put SageTV to sleep??

Looks like MLB are in the same boat.

Thanks,

-Cab
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

Cabalsan, you SHOULD put it to sleep when you are not watching. Otherwise you will lose all your scheduled recordings. Sage will delete them to make room for the live tv recording. It makes no sense to run it 24/7 without putting it to sleep.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ahh ok, thats what I do.

The only problem, the computer shuts down for in-activity.

Was looking for a way to record programs in the middle of the night (yes I'm a sucker for the ROn Popeil commercials) and not have to worry about going and putting SageTV to sleep.

Is there a "time-out" setting somewhere? A settign to make sageTV fall asleep on its own, say afer X hours??

-Cab
Old 02-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Options:

a) Put it to sleep, wake it up again (to kill live tv recording), and leave it.

Or, even better:

b) stop having the computer shut itself down & let SageTV record while it is sleeping. Turn off IR do you don't get lots of other recordings.

Or, did I misunderstand you?

- Andy
Old 02-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Sage User

I just don't see how one should be expected to shut down Sage every night. Once you shut it down, you have to use the mouse to click the icon to make it wake up. That is NOT a wife-friendly PVR setup. And if I ever get PVR-350 output to work and disconnect the monitor that's on the living room floor, then it won't be possible to wake sage at all without using VNC -- definitely not a wife-friendly situation. Am I missing something?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:54 PM

In your case, configure Sage to Screen Saver on Sleep. It will close out all Sage current timeshifting and display the Sage screen-saver. Then on any movement (mouse, remote) it will come back on.

I think it would be a good idea to have Sage go to sleep (or screen-saver) after X minutes of inactivity IF not in full screen video view. Though it would have to be awhile (more than the length of the longest clip you could be watching).
Old 02-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Sage Icon

Waffle, I use myhtpc to make it wife friendly. Menus are your friend.

Cabalsan, I assume power mangaement is shutting down your PC? There is a utility available from Jman that will allow your PC to wake up to record and return to sleep. Search on "power management". I use it and it works perfectly.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by waffle
I just don't see how one should be expected to shut down Sage every night. Once you shut it down, you have to use the mouse to click the icon to make it wake up.
If you are using the Hauppauge remote, you sure can wake it up by the remote -- search for it in the forums: it has been discussed many times.

I did forget about the screen saver sleep, so that was a good option too.

- Andy
Old 02-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
Cabalsan, you SHOULD put it to sleep when you are not watching.
Huh... I couldn't disagree more. I use SageTV as a set top box and it should be smart enough to handle that. I don't have to put my Tivo to sleep and it works fine.

I want to hit the power button my TV and be in business. People using my TV shouldn't even know that there's a computer runing Windows behind the scenes.

-Watter
Old 02-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Cabalsan, you SHOULD put it to sleep when you are not watching. Otherwise you will lose all your scheduled recordings. Sage will delete them to make room for the live tv recording. It makes no sense to run it 24/7 without putting it to sleep.
I must respectfully disagree with this sentiment.

The user should be able to turn off the TV, just as is they were watching live, without penalty. Other PVRs have a limited buffer for live TV recordings, and that's what should happen here. My wife doesn't have to put our Tivos to sleep before turning off the TV, why should she have to put Sage to sleep?

Putting Sage to sleep really only makes sense for clients running on desktop computers (versus dedicated clients hooked up to televisions/projectors), where you want to get the screen back to do other things. Otherwise, it should be in the foreground, full-screen. This would be at a menu, if the last thing you did was watch a recording, or in Live TV if you were channel surfing.

This may not be something that you worry about if you are integrating Sage with other apps via something like myHTPC, but if it's a Sage-only client or server (like I have in the kitchen and basement), it's just easier this way.

On the power managments side:

Right click on the desktop -> properties -> screen saver tab -> power

Adjust as necessary. In out systems, I've turned off all of the power management features because we turn off the displays when we're done, and don't want anything else to power down causing problems like you're seeing.

--Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
In your case, configure Sage to Screen Saver on Sleep. It will close out all Sage current timeshifting and display the Sage screen-saver. Then on any movement (mouse, remote) it will come back on.
That was helpful, thanks. But, like the other folks said, one shouldn' t have to do this in a dedicated PVR situation.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage Icon

This thread is almost to the point where it's almost funny. This is the way PC based PVR's have always worked. I dont really want my harddrive constantly running. I read here daily about how people's Tivos do this or that. If Tivo is so great why are people going this way? It's more complicated......its more work.......but it allows so much freedom. They could throw in a 30 minute buffer like tivo's but I would turn it off. My PC is in the family room connected to my 55 inch set. During the day its in suspend until its time to record. It then wakes up, records and retruns to its slumber. When I come home, I hit a key on the remote and it wakes up. I select what I want (Games, ripped DVDs, web, home automation or TV) and it runs. No one knows its a PC because I have customized the interface. To me THATS what a dedicated PVR SHOULD do.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:
If Tivo is so great why are people going this way?
I went this way because TiVo can't record two channels at once. (And now, it turns out that my SageTV setup can't even do that.)
Old 02-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage Icon

Waffle, why cant it? There are quit a few people around here that are doing that.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:33 PM

He does not mean Sage directly. He has a 16 and a 15 tuner card.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Waffle, why cant it? There are quit a few people around here that are doing that.
Because my PCR-250 is revision 16, it doesn't play nicely with my PVR-350. (I get the effect shown in this post: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=3576 )

I just posted in the hardware forum, looking for someone who wants to trade their -15 for my -16. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

-Kevin
Old 02-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Another option would be to put it into a networked computer & let it record from there. That is, if you happen to have a networked computer...

- Andy
Old 02-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone know what this new feature does?

IMPORTANT: Changed behavior when Intelligent Recording is disabled so that it will continually delete the files it records that you didn't request; rather than waiting until it exits.

Is it related? Don;t really know as I cant use Sage at the moment as my Sage box is in bits :0

Matt