SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM

SageTV ON Windows 7?

I've seen threads on SageTV vs. Windows 7, but that's a non-starter for me. I want SageTV.

The real question is whether to run it ON Windows 7.

Initial feedback on Windows 7 pre-Beta are extremely positive with regards to requirements and stability. The new OS runs better with less hardware (runs clean with only 1GB) and is very stable. In fact, Paul Thurott is so happy with the pre-Beta that he says,
Quote:
As I write these words, I'm in the process of moving all of my daily use machines over to Windows 7. It's that stable. It's that good.
Windows 7 Preview

Meanwhile, I have my tuner and SageTV software still in a box. Am about to rebuild my box before installing SageTV. I have the pre-Beta. What to install?

Is anybody running SageTV on Windows 7? In theory, that which runs on Vista will run on Windows 7, just better...
Old 11-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

I had Sageclient running on Windows 7 (6801) and everything appeared to work fine, but then I entered my key for the client and it told me that key was "in use", so I was locked out after that.

Reinstalled Windows 7 again today and will try Sageclient for the trial period.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I had Sageclient running on Windows 7 (6801) and everything appeared to work fine, but then I entered my key for the client and it told me that key was "in use", so I was locked out after that.

Reinstalled Windows 7 again today and will try Sageclient for the trial period.
When you install on a new client machine or OS and resue your existing key you will need to reboot the Sage server. You should be fine after that.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
When you install on a new client machine or OS and resue your existing key you will need to reboot the Sage server. You should be fine after that.

Gerry
OOps, already did a fresh install.

I have Windows 7, Windows TV pack 2008, and Vista on the same computer in different partitions. Are you saying I can use the same key for each and just reboot the server when switching between them?

Awesome
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Yup.

Tags
"windows 7", operating system, vista